PDA

View Full Version : a little off topic, but....

FrankenScagMachines
11-03-2004, 10:51 AM
is my new signature offensive to anyone? it is a little large, any ideas?
I like it, but personally if it was someone else's, i wouldn't want to have to scroll through it everytime i clicked on a thread i'd replied to. If i didn't have cable internet i'd probably be annoyed at waiting for it to download every time too.
any ideas?
Thanks,
Eric

1MajorTom
11-03-2004, 10:54 AM
I do know we had a feature installed with the old setup, where the signature would show only once in a thread. This sig here, no offense, would get really annoying seeing 10 times in one thread. I'm gonna have to see if we can get the one sig per thread installed in this software setup.

MMLawn
11-03-2004, 10:58 AM
I agree with Jodi as it's very annoying not mention that it causes the file to take much longer loading because of it's size. Let us know when you change it and I'll open your threads then, but until then I don't think I would want to see that green "billboard" again.

Evan528
11-03-2004, 11:01 AM
I just really dont see why its nessesay to list every machine you have? We all do landscaping/lawn care....Isnt it a given we have machinery? If someone wants to know what machinery I run they can ask me. :dizzy:

out4now
11-03-2004, 11:05 AM
It's a little distracting and chews up bandwidth.

FrankenScagMachines
11-03-2004, 11:17 AM
Ok sorry....
how's this one?

I for one actually like to see what other people run. Especially those who's opinions i value. But, if i had a question about a particular machine, i get to go straight to that person and ask them how they like it or whatever i wanted to know.
But, by popular demand, here ya go!

work_it
11-03-2004, 11:18 AM
I think it's better to keep that on a personal website, but I've seen worse. Kind of a pain when you're trying to skim through posts and a few people have huge signature lines that take up half a page. No hard feelings Eric, but I'm not really interested in seeing what everyone owns. There's some guys on here that could fill up entire pages with lists of their equipment, and I thank them for not doing that.

FrankenScagMachines
11-03-2004, 11:22 AM
Ok try this one i just came up with now, and i really don't care if anyone doesn't like this one! it's not very big, and your cookies should already have loaded these, plus these guys keep the site afloat, so no one has any room to grip on this....

Up North
11-03-2004, 11:28 AM
Frankenscag,
Personally when I see long equipment lists (or equipment lists period) I get the feeling the guy is bragging or trying to prove something. Now I know you've been around longer then I have and I know that's not the case with you. I've got a ton of respect for you and have mentioned before that I wished more of our younger generation had 1/2 the gumption and talent you do. But there are some others that go as far as listing their age, or equipment that doesn't even relate to the green industry. Like Evan528 said, we're all in the business, it's assumed that we all have some equipment.

Hey we're all proud of the equipment we own, and should be. That's understood, I'm dang proud of my my equipment and have posted pics of it. But I just don't think most guys care to see it everytime I post. Just my opinion.

Buck

LCME
11-03-2004, 11:35 AM
I decided to remove my picture and signature. Don't need it. So, got ride of it. More room for discussion. See how easy this is to read...

FrankenScagMachines
11-03-2004, 11:38 AM
Ok... i wanted to link to those sponsors so i had to remove a couple to remain within the 500 character limit, even though this is HTML. or should i now revert to having the four sponsors, but without links?

FrankenScagMachines
11-03-2004, 11:43 AM
Ok this is my final offer:

Runner
11-03-2004, 12:50 PM
Actually, I've even wanted to make MY logo smaller than what it is. I just can't seem to find it to downsize, though. I had an incredible hard time just getting it on there, and it was with the graciousness and help of Jodi that I was finally able to. I firmly believe that mine is too large, and it would be my first choice to decrease the size. I think it probably gets old looking at THAT everytime I post another one of MY babbling posts or threads.

FrankenScagMachines
11-03-2004, 02:00 PM
Joe,
I tried my hand at downsizing it a little bit. Open the attachments and save them if you like them. Couldn't go much smaller, it gets blurry/fuzzy and hard to read.
Eric

proenterprises
11-03-2004, 05:15 PM
just a comment on those of us who list equip. I think its a good idea, and I dont mean list everything down to rakes and shovels, but posting what equip you use is helpful to others when answering questions.

for example, with all these leaf cleanup pricing threads latley, it gives us a much better idea of answers if we know your using a 60" ztr rather than a 21" push...get the idea?

MMLawn
11-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Actually I've always seen it as someone that felt they needed to boost their own ego. I don't list mine and unless it becomes revelent to the question I don't really even care what some other LCO uses. If I do I'll ask. Funny how probably all of the teenagers list their equipment (or daddy's) and few if any of the real LCO business owners list theirs. I'm not being rude at all here, but when I ask a question I really don't pay any attention to a teenager that answers as I have been in business twice to three times as long as they have been around period. Heck I have mowers that are older than some of you. I do listen the guys that really do this for a fulltime living and not weekend gas money. I agree with Mac's sig line as if you are 15, 16, 17 years old you aren't running a business, you are cutting grass for money, and there is a big difference. But that said I do also think though that the teenagers on here can certainly learn a lot from this site and should certainly be active on here and like that you guys are willing to work hard instead of sitting around playing video games and watching MTV. :)

Now...blast aways kids... :angel:

proenterprises
11-03-2004, 05:51 PM
my age has very little to do with the validity of what i have to say. in fact, if i could do it all over again, i would just put in my profile that I am 50, what difference does it make, yes, we have been in the biz a few less years, but that dosent mean we dont know what were talking about.

every piece of equipment in my sig line, minus the cub cadet tractor was paid in full, 100% by ME, PERSONALLY! its not daddy's equip, its mine, all mine!

MMLawn
11-03-2004, 05:58 PM
[QUOTE=proenterprises]my age has very little to do with the validity of what i have to say.QUOTE]

Actually it does and 30 years from now you will see that. What I am saying is that there is No Way that a 16 year old that "started" cutting grass at 10 years old knows as much about the business, ESPECIALLY the Business end of this than say a 50 year old that has been doing it for 30 years. Heck it's not even the same 6 years exp from say 10-16 years old as it is from say 25-31 years old. Sorry but that's fact. Again, I like that you youngsters work for your money, but you cut grass for extra money and that is all, you can "call it a business" but it isn't and we older guys do it as a business and for a living.

JB1
11-03-2004, 06:19 PM
Ah come on MMLawn throw some more gas on the fire, this is better than the movies.

MMLawn
11-03-2004, 06:26 PM
DANG JB!! This sig line below is TOO FUNNY!! Now I have to have one!

EMPLOYEEEEES

Habib
Gomez
Ralphie
Lil Georgie
Habib Jr.
Habib III

1983 ford f-150
1981 Datsun
16' trailer
8' trailer
mtd pro 38"
scotts 44"
scotts 38"
3- ryan weedeaters
2- wal-mart 21" mowers
2- true temper leaf rakes
1-sears round nose shovel
1-sears square nose shovel (neighbor hasn't returned)
2- home depot garden rakes
50' nylon rope (yellow)
1- 8' x 10' blue tarp

MMLawn
11-03-2004, 06:34 PM
M&M Lawn Care Equipment List

1975 Brown Pinto
4x8 plywood trailer (no tags)
1981 21" Murray 3.5hp Push mower with broken rear wheel
1993 38" Sears Tractor with one of those pull behind dump trailers
(2) Weedeater weedeaters (but only 1 works)
(1) Ace Hardware Flat spade for edging
(1) Ace Hardward 18" Push shop broom
(1) Poulan Electric Blower
(1) Weedeater 18" electric hedge trimmer (has some cuts in the cord)
(2) 75' Electric cords and some duct tape
(1) Peltor Headset
(3) Invoice books
(7) Red 18" Tie Down Straps
(5) Blue 24" Tie Down Straps
(3) Red 5 Gallon Gas Cans
(1) Red 2.5 Gallon Gas Can
(1) Red (I like red) 2 gallon gas can
(207) White Plastic twist ties

cantoo
11-03-2004, 10:08 PM
mmlawn,what do you use the twist ties for? If you use them for garbage bags what type of garbage bag do you use and where do you buy them. If you use them for garbage bags and you buy the garbage bags in bulk how many do you buy at a time? If you use them for garbage bags and you buy a lot of them in bulk should you be buying red bags to match your red gas cans? Speaking of which where did you buy your red gas cans, did you buy the 2 1/2 gallon red gas cans at the same place as the 5 gallon red gas cans? If you buy the red gas cans at the same place do they offer you a bulk discount? Can you mix and match the size of the red gas cans? Do you have any other colour of gas cans other than the red ones you have listed? Do you buy a lot of your equipment at Ace Hardware? Which Ace Hardware do you buy your stuff from if you buy it from Ace Hardware? I guess Ace Hardware must offer a bulk discount for a big volume buyer like you?
Almost forgot one last question, what brand of batteries do you use in your Peltor Headset? Do you buy the batteries in Bulk? Do you get a volume discount if you buy the batteries at Ace Hardware? Are the batteries red?
:waving:

Turf Medic
11-03-2004, 11:08 PM
You should also list what brand of shoes and underwear you use, you know this is important. If you feel a need to list your equipment why don't you list them on your public profile in the biography area, and then just put in your signature line that your equipment is listed on your profile. That way the people that don't care what you own won't have to wait for the list to load.

Runner
11-03-2004, 11:11 PM
Also, what Ace Hardware do you buy that stuff at? The one that has better customer service (30 minutes away), or the one that is closer to you? Also, can you stripe with you Craftsman tractor? :p

JB1
11-03-2004, 11:15 PM
Can stripe great now since I bought the "stripe Rite Blades" from Lesco.

desert rose gardening
11-03-2004, 11:51 PM
I don't have a singature because I have the same tool's that you all have, just a differnt size and make. However, I do like to see what everybody has and the varity of equipment.

Liberty Lawncare
11-04-2004, 12:00 AM
I just really dont see why its nessesay to list every machine you have? We all do landscaping/lawn care....Isnt it a given we have machinery? If someone wants to know what machinery I run they can ask me. :dizzy:

I totaly agree with this. If I want to know what you run I will ask.

mbricker
11-04-2004, 01:11 AM
Positive points for all of you for providing my laugh for the day.

Eric 1
11-05-2004, 09:01 PM
M&M Lawn Care Equipment List

1975 Brown Pinto
4x8 plywood trailer (no tags)
1981 21" Murray 3.5hp Push mower with broken rear wheel
1993 38" Sears Tractor with one of those pull behind dump trailers
(2) Weedeater weedeaters (but only 1 works)
(1) Ace Hardware Flat spade for edging
(1) Ace Hardward 18" Push shop broom
(1) Poulan Electric Blower
(1) Weedeater 18" electric hedge trimmer (has some cuts in the cord)
(2) 75' Electric cords and some duct tape
(1) Peltor Headset
(3) Invoice books
(7) Red 18" Tie Down Straps
(5) Blue 24" Tie Down Straps
(3) Red 5 Gallon Gas Cans
(1) Red 2.5 Gallon Gas Can
(1) Red (I like red) 2 gallon gas can
(207) White Plastic twist ties

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!! good one, thanks for the laugh! :laugh:

Travis Followell
11-05-2004, 09:27 PM
Could any of you tell me how to put an avator beside my user name. i want one off of Kohlers website but can't figure out how to do it.

1MajorTom
11-05-2004, 09:50 PM
Could any of you tell me how to put an avator beside my user name. i want one off of Kohlers website but can't figure out how to do it.

Can you give me the link to the exact picture that you want, or exactly what you want on your avatar? I should be able to shrink it down for you and make you an avatar.