PDA

View Full Version : Ever work in the dark?

rookiemower
11-03-2004, 10:51 AM
yesterday a customer called me and said "i need my lawn cut today." well i was working at my other job and i told him i cant guarentee it but ill try. by the way he called at 3:00 it is now dark here at 5:00 due to day lights savings time. so i rush around like a chicken with my head cut off trying to get there. by the time i got there it was pitch black out, but i cut the yard anyway. I knew it had to look like SH!T but he wanted it done because some guy was coming today to roll the lawn to smooth out the bumps. I even trimmed in the dark. I told him when he came out the lines will be uneven and i probally scalped alot when trimming but he didnt care. It sucked because i would have done it today but i already had other stuff to do. To bad i dont have night vision goggles :p so who else here has ever cut in the dark? ;)

(P.S.) thank god for the Meg-mos last night :drinkup: )

AL Inc
11-03-2004, 10:54 AM
We finish in the dark almost every day this time of year. I've finished many a clean-up with the headlights of the truck on the lawn.

tiedeman
11-03-2004, 10:54 AM
About five years ago I was doing a leaf clean up job and I had to use the headlights of my truck to see the lawn to finish bagging it. Not fun!!

work_it
11-03-2004, 11:03 AM
That's one of the reasons I mounted driving lights on my Scag TT. Too many times last fall I was working after it turned dark. Doesn't help much with the trimming, but works great for mowing and cleaning up leaves.

impactlandscaping
11-03-2004, 11:24 AM
Lights are going on our Standers today for just that reason. An extra hour of production a day times five days adds up....

MikeLandscaping
11-03-2004, 11:31 AM
It does suck in the dark especially while doing fall clean ups cause you cant see at all the only way to work is start early in the morning like 6 am and work till dark then your golden but if you start at 7 or 8 in the morning your not gonna get many jobs done.

Runner
11-03-2004, 11:38 AM
It IS that time of year. One thing that we do now and again if I find the time restraints to require it, it do all our trimming first. Then, we can just mow, using the lights. Some places are still really growing that we still need to trim them quite regularly.

MMLawn
11-03-2004, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I was working hard in the dark one time, but man when the lights came on she was not like I remembered her looking at all!..........oh, you mean cutting grass.......sorry :cool2:

Moe Fish
11-03-2004, 03:30 PM
Some of my best work is done in the dark ;)

sodgod
11-03-2004, 04:21 PM
working in the dark isn't fun your right. But when the its raining for a day straight, you get behind. My method for handeling this is i bought one of those alternators that plug into my trucks cirerate lighter. It converts it into a plug in. I then bought one of those tri-pod helogen lights. I went with a 1000 watt dual light. It works great for those long nights. If i'm doing the back yard i just run an extention cord out back and plug it in. Over all, it cost me about $80 give or take a few bucks. The light i got at www.harborfreight.com for about 40.00, the alternator was about 30 a 150' extention cord. Money well spent if you ask me. Figure thats about one lawns worth durning the dark to pay for it.

Moe Fish
11-03-2004, 05:02 PM
alternators? you mean an inverter?

proenterprises
11-03-2004, 05:10 PM
yeah i think he meant an inverter, but im surprised it has enough power to handle 1000 watt tripod light, those blow fuses in my house!

Lux Lawn
11-03-2004, 05:13 PM
Monday the first day of daylight savings time we finished the last job in the dark around 5:30.

cantoo
11-03-2004, 08:53 PM
My wife is collecting and dumping leaves in piles during the day then we go around and suck them up in the dark. It's the only way to do it around rain and wind.

sodgod
11-03-2004, 09:03 PM
yeah your right guys, i did mean inverter. honest mistake.

LB Landscaping
11-03-2004, 09:13 PM
We work finish when its dark alot. I worked till 10pm everynight one week last year with a buddy of mine to finish a hardscape project for a customer that needed it done early. We had headlights, flashlights, proch lights, you name it it was on. Got a great paycheck out of it though!!!

proenterprises
11-03-2004, 09:31 PM
to honest, the dark has never really stopped me, not just with lawn and leaves though. my uncle and a slew of guys work until 9-10pm many nights over the years to get various things done.

many times, we would go back to his house with a few helpers to work in the dark, wether it be masonry or other tasks that just had to be done.

personally, i love working late. i would much rather sleep until 10:00 am and work until 8:00 or 9:00pm.

The LawnSmith
11-03-2004, 09:55 PM
If you get to the property before it gets too dark, do the trimming first. I have lights on my John Deeres that work ok for the mowing. a friend gave me a head mounted light (Like a miner's light, but isn't on a helmet, it has an adjustable headband, that fits around your head). It seemed a little crazy at first, but given the light conditions, it works well for trimming. I have seen them at walmart. One extra yard a day during these times can add up over a period of a week or so. The dew is the same at 6:30 AM as it is an hour later, so starting earlier isnt that much of an advantage.

Mike

shepoutside
11-03-2004, 10:32 PM
Yes we run alot in the dark this time of year, as we do the Mentally Handicap yards, for group homes, and the shop, and their offices, and they must be done after 6 pm, so the kids are not around. We have lights on all tractors, and have a flood on the trailer too. On one fs 85, I have a mag light holder, so we can trim if need be too.