PDA

View Full Version : residential vs. commercial

Oscapes
11-03-2004, 04:21 PM
What if I have a residential lot that I estimate at $30 and I want to estimate a commercial lot of the same size. Generally how much more do you estimate a commercial lot verse a residential lot?

o-so-n-so
11-03-2004, 05:52 PM
If everything is basically the same...including liability, service times and so on....My price would be the same. Where i get into pricing a little bit higher is if the liability is greater, can only mow at a certain time of day due to the businesses operating hours. Access is also a big kicker for me. Need to have a place to park for a few minutes without getting everything stolen off the truck. I consider all of these factors and price accordingly.

good luck...........

Branchland
11-03-2004, 06:29 PM
Ditto on what o-so-n-so said. Good luck getting some.

Flex-Deck
11-03-2004, 06:58 PM
Ditto here to - Most commercials want their company added to your liability policy as an "additional insured" and that costs $100 per additional insured here in SE Iowa. I mow a mall that has 4 "additional insured" they want on. That folks is $400 that needs to be in the bid. Thanks Brad

Oscapes
11-03-2004, 08:46 PM
I think I understand this liability situation.

So you all are saying that, a commercial may want their company added to my liability insurance policy? So say I have 10 companies that want that and each costing $100 each, then I have to pay an extra $1000 on my liability insurance? And I would include that in the bid? Is that $100 annually?

LLandscaping
11-03-2004, 09:09 PM
o-so-n-so,
I think that I saw you last week going past Walker Building Supply headed toward Wallace State. Were you drive your white chev 2500hd with a stump grinder.

o-so-n-so
11-04-2004, 09:23 AM
Yep....that be me.

FrankenScagMachines
11-04-2004, 09:28 AM
Also keep in mind, that some commercial properties may have alot more edging to do, and alot of them also will have a whole lot more blowing to do than your usual residential. That can make a significant difference in time. For instance, this church i do, has quite a bit of blowing. We spend about 40-45 minutes mowing, almost no time trimming, and about 15 minutes for all the blowing, not that there is tons of blowing but you have to walk all over the big parking lot to get to all the areas to blow. I've done commercial places with islands in them, and a curb all around the parking lot. Man those are a pain. I had to chase clippings over the entire parking lot (windy day) and pin them down to one pile, then chase it around by the street and blow them in where there wasn't a curb. To make grass go up a curb you have to pin it in a corner, and sometimes there's mulch beds by that corner. Gets really aggravating. So keep this in mind when bidding commercials, the detail work sometimes takes alot longer than residential. On that church we have to walk clear across the lot just to trim for about 10 seconds.

work_it
11-04-2004, 09:42 AM
Just keep in mind that anything that is going to cost you money, time, or scheduling difficulties needs to be included in the bid.

PROCUT1
11-04-2004, 10:56 AM
Judging by the way the commercial market is around here....
If you have a res lot at $30

If you want the commercial lot around here you'd better price it at $20 and throw in all the extras.

Around here everybody knows "You're not a big boy lco until you do commercial"

LLandscaping
11-04-2004, 08:26 PM
There is often more hassle dealing with commercial clients. If you are dealing with a large company it often takes 30 days to get payed, where residentials usually pay quickly. Their is also more trash to be picked up. Take these into consideration when quoting prices.