PDA

View Full Version : Wont Do Leave Without Em

PROCUT1
11-03-2004, 05:27 PM
As if enough people havent said things about them i have to add my .02.

Just got the meg-mos for a 61 Bobcat ztr.
Closed off the chute and sent the machine out

These things are awesome. Completely pulverizes leaves, grass, newspapers and everything else.

OLD LEAF CLEAN_UP SYSTEM:

Blow all the leaves to the road with backpacks and push blowers.
Run over the yard a few times with a trac-vac on a ztr.

Have a HUGE pile of leaves for the vacuum truck guy to spend a lifetime to suck-up.

Leaf truck guy sucking up huge piles, falling farther behind the clean-up crews, leaf piles getting left for extended periods of time blowing all over, customers calling.......Truck filling up 10 times a day.......2 tanks of gas in leaf truck alone.........You get the point

NEW SYSTEM

Couple of guys with backpacks blow out the beds and under the trees

One guy on ztr with the megmos..........one or two passes and theyre little bits

One or two guys on ztrs with trac-vacs mow the lawn and suck up the visible bits.

Tiny Tiny pile left on side of road for vacuum truck...
Takes more time to start the vacuum than it does to suck the pile..

END RESULT...............cut our clean-up times in more than half...

I dont generally endorse a product.....But im pretty excited about this new system.....gonna order a few more sets for other machines.

Ill be waiting for my endorsement check :waving:

gogetter
11-03-2004, 05:37 PM
Helpful review. Thanks.
I sure wish someone would post some before and after pics too.

DLCS
11-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Helpful review. Thanks.
I sure wish someone would post some before and after pics too.

I always forget to take the camera out with me. Maybe tomorrow?

gogetter
11-03-2004, 06:37 PM
I always forget to take the camera out with me. Maybe tomorrow?

Yeah.....sure you will! LOL! Hey DSL1, when using the megmos on leaves, do you also close off the discharge chute like Procut1 mentioned, or do you let it fly?.

bobbygedd
11-03-2004, 06:47 PM
todays job on a one time customer leaf cleanup, all leaves down, entire lawn blanketed with 4" of maple leaves: old way= blow out beds, chop them up with doubles, still hauling away 2 truckloads of debris. 2 trips to the dump at $35 each, plus fuel and time spent traveling. today with meg mos: ground the entire property (what used to be 2 truck loads of debris) down to 2 barrels full. no dumping fees, no drive to dump, time going there and back , etc. less wear and tear on the body too. i'm not impressed, I'M AMAZED! if you're not using them, you're nuts!

simsy71
11-03-2004, 07:18 PM
you guys are beginning to make a believer out of me. Wonder how long it takes to order.

Lawn-Scapes
11-03-2004, 07:25 PM
Better than double gator blades?

bobbygedd
11-03-2004, 07:26 PM
a million times better

Lawn-Scapes
11-03-2004, 07:29 PM
You sure? Double gators work pretty good.

bobbygedd
11-03-2004, 07:44 PM
i've used doubles too, no comparison.

simsy71
11-03-2004, 07:47 PM
This is what really impressed me

ground the entire property (what used to be 2 truck loads of debris) down to 2 barrels full

lampeslawnservice
11-03-2004, 07:47 PM
Just got my set via DHL this afternoon, waiting at my back door when I got home. I ordered them on late about 4 days ago. Pretty quick delivery. Now if it would ever stop raining long enough that I could use them it would be great. That seems to be my biggest frustation this year is rain this late in the year. The other day started at 8 on a leaf job finished at 10:30 just as the rain let loose. The yard looked done for about 10 mins. What do you guys do in these situations. I charged the lady anyway but felt bad about it. If I would have not done it that morning the leaves would have easily been a foot deep.

DLCS
11-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Yeah.....sure you will! LOL! Hey DSL1, when using the megmos on leaves, do you also close off the discharge chute like Procut1 mentioned, or do you let it fly?.

lol. Your right won't be taking pictures tomorrow, 100% chance of rain. :realmad: I just usually have the chute closed when chopping leaves unless there isn't too many leaves. If you let it fly, you still get mulched leaves but not as quite as good with a closed chute.

bobbygedd
11-03-2004, 07:52 PM
This is what really impressed me

ground the entire property (what used to be 2 truck loads of debris) down to 2 barrels fullyup, we used to tarp, load, and haul them away. extremely time consuming and expensive. things got better with doubles, but this is the next platau...one small step for lawnboys, one giant leap for lawnboy kind. funny thing, guys around here never even heard of doubles. they are all baggin and draggin.

DLCS
11-03-2004, 07:55 PM
Just got my set via DHL this afternoon, waiting at my back door when I got home. I ordered them on late about 4 days ago. Pretty quick delivery. Now if it would ever stop raining long enough that I could use them it would be great. That seems to be my biggest frustation this year is rain this late in the year. The other day started at 8 on a leaf job finished at 10:30 just as the rain let loose. The yard looked done for about 10 mins. What do you guys do in these situations. I charged the lady anyway but felt bad about it. If I would have not done it that morning the leaves would have easily been a foot deep.

Not a damn thing you can do about it. You have no choice but to keep on top of them, if its a foot deep it would have cost her more next time, right? I just go with the flow.

proenterprises
11-03-2004, 08:48 PM
i think i will get a pair of them for next season...does anyone use the meg-mo's for just grass cutting as well....any benefits?

FrankenScagMachines
11-03-2004, 08:57 PM
Pro-
I don't want to rain on your parade, but you don't have the power for Meg-Mo's. A friend had a set he put on one of his two 52" eXmark Lazer HP's with 23hp. He tried them and did not like them in the grass, he never tried them in leaves yet. Well he dropped them by for me to try, this was when i used my 52" eXmark TTHP 17hp V-twin Kawasaki. It simply didn't have the power. It kept them turning but it lugged down in taller stuff, and the engine was turning much slower. They're too heavy and push too much air (air is main problem). That mower would run doubles (gator over standard blade) but not double standard lift blades, just pushing too much air flow. When i mowed wet grass with them on the eXmark, they chopped and discharged nice, but cut was really bad, the blade knives kept folding back, then it would pack grass inside the deck and drop them in large "turds" of wet grass (very messy on lawn!). I really hated them. I think the folding back and resulting bad cut was due to not having suffecient power to spin them fast enough, cuz if i slowed down a little it helped some. I would like to get them back from my friend and try them on my Ferris in the leaves. Now i'm just not sure it'll have power to turn them and the deck driven bagger.... we shall see....
My gator blades have been working great, was using offset blades to increase suction (and this did make a big difference over the standard ones) but now it's rained so much, they won't pick up the wet leaves so i am going to put on high lifts and see if i can get them picked up. Now i am going to have blowout issues becuase i was using these for mowing when leaves started to fall and it pushes them ahead of the deck. Gotta make a anti-blowout baffle now... these mowers should just come with those standard :dizzy:
Sorry for rambling. In short, please do not waste your time and money with meg mo blades, i guarantee that your mower will not have power to turn them unless you go in first gear maybe. I am sure that they work great in leaves and probably dry grass. I would like to have a set just for leaves alone if nothing else, but only because i have power to run them now.

proenterprises
11-03-2004, 09:09 PM
eric, thanks for the response. what do you suggest would be a good set of blades, maybe gators (good for mulching)?

geogunn
11-03-2004, 09:48 PM
i'm not impressed, I'M AMAZED! if you're not using them, you're nuts!

and then SAYS........

Pro-
I don't want to rain on your parade, but you don't have the power for Meg-Mo's.

what do I do? who can I trust? someone........please help me with whether MEG-MOWS are for meeeeeeeee!!!

I am inclined to go with ERIC/frankenskag......I have never known him to lie.

GEO

wriken
11-03-2004, 10:41 PM
you guys that are using meg mo's, do you have a baffle/mulch kit on also? Just wondering, I installed a mulch kit on one of my 60's and I'm really impressed, using gators or the mulching blades. Thats what we have been doing, running the mulcher , then sucking them up with the collection system, after going through that process, when you dump the bagger, its like dust. So basically I'm getting the same thing done with a mulch kit with gators, right? I don't know what megs are, but I'm paying 14.99 for gators thru my dealer, I'm sure I could find them cheaper elsewhere. Let me know.

Fareway Lawncare
11-03-2004, 10:47 PM
don't use MMos w/a mulch kit....bad Blow-out & They Hit the Baffles...

I use them on Units w/Catchers Only....They Pack them Really Well !

rookiemower
11-03-2004, 11:24 PM
Heres my opinion, i had meg-mos on in the spring I HATED THEM! then last week i was like i should give them another try, now i want to KILL myself for not doing it earlier. The blades were sucking to much power in the spring with HEAVY LUSH TURF. but for dry growth and leaves i have never seen a miracle until today. I did a cleanup which i would have never had room for normally but with the meg-mos i pulverized the leaves to nothing then bagged them. Sharpening the blades often during leaf season makes a HUGE difference. i might have a cleanup tommorow so ill take pics of what these bad boys can do. :cool2:

PROCUT1
11-04-2004, 11:12 AM
As far as shipping....Ordered mine on friday they were here on tuesday...

GreenMonster
11-04-2004, 11:19 AM
and then SAYS........

what do I do? who can I trust? someone........please help me with whether MEG-MOWS are for meeeeeeeee!!!

I am inclined to go with ERIC/frankenskag......I have never known him to lie.

GEO

GEO,

What are you saying about Bobby? :confused: :D

I've heard enough about Meg-Mo's to believe they are the ticket for leaves, but what about for grass (On a J.D. 7-Iron deck).

DLCS
11-04-2004, 11:26 AM
GEO,

What are you saying about Bobby? :confused: :D

I've heard enough about Meg-Mo's to believe they are the ticket for leaves, but what about for grass (On a J.D. 7-Iron deck).

You mean you haven't seen any of my posts on how meg Mo's work on grass with 7 Iron decks? lol