PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Chevrolet Kodiak 5500 Crew Cab 4WD

Ursushorribilus
11-03-2004, 09:16 PM
Well, the diesel van I bought to pull my new 12,000 lb trailer, loaded with a new Kubota L48, turns out to be only rated to tow 7,500 lbs. So I'm pricing out the new 2005 4WD Kodiak 5500 with a Crew Cab and landscaper body with a dump, with the 300 hp Duramax diesel and Allison transmission. I like it, and will be dropping the down payment tomorrow to start getting it built. They will start production of this particular model in Flint in late January, so my dealer said I should get delivery in late February or early March if I put in my order now. I will be getting the first Crew Cab Kodiak ever sold at this particular dealership :) What colors do you guys like in a beast like this? I'm torn between Victory Red, Blue, and Tan. Boy, that Victory Red sure stands out, but that Blue is pretty. The Tan looks neutral, which, arguably, is more professional. But I kinda like the idea of pulling a big, ugly, orange brute of a tractor with a fiery red truck :drinkup :cool2:

UNISCAPER
11-03-2004, 09:48 PM
We use any color that our employees want as long as it is white. Easier to maintain a fleet that way.

Avery
11-03-2004, 10:10 PM
Same here. Every truck/van is white. Looks more professional IMO. Easier to keep clean also.

Ursushorribilus
11-03-2004, 10:25 PM
My original choice was white, because of heat issues, but then I got to thinking that I want to be noticed...you can see that red coming from way down the road:)

Green Pastures
11-04-2004, 03:08 AM
Red, all my stuff is red.

bcx400
11-04-2004, 07:00 AM
Are you getting the truck with the max gvwr? I know this truck can be ordered at a maximum 26,000 gvwr/26,000 gcwr. You could also upgrade to the allison 2200 automatic, (if you are going with an auto) which would be better for pulling.
I am about to order either this same truck, or an International 4300. The International is a little more expensive, but has a bigger cab. I also need the truck to pull my Kubota L48. I will also be buying a 12,000 lb gvwr trailer. (cdl required, I know). Almost all the 10,000 lb trailers I looked at, plus the weight of the L48, would bring the total weight of the machine and trailer to over 10,000 lbs.

Randy Scott
11-04-2004, 10:31 AM
I would think the color of your truck should coincide with whatever your company color is. I would choose a color and start sticking with it.

Smalltimer1
11-04-2004, 12:17 PM
Are you getting the truck with the max gvwr? I know this truck can be ordered at a maximum 26,000 gvwr/26,000 gcwr. You could also upgrade to the allison 2200 automatic, (if you are going with an auto) which would be better for pulling.
I am about to order either this same truck, or an International 4300. The International is a little more expensive, but has a bigger cab. I also need the truck to pull my Kubota L48. I will also be buying a 12,000 lb gvwr trailer. (cdl required, I know). Almost all the 10,000 lb trailers I looked at, plus the weight of the L48, would bring the total weight of the machine and trailer to over 10,000 lbs.

Get the International--why you ask??

Two words-- DT-466 'Nuff said.

Ursushorribilus
11-04-2004, 10:49 PM

Yup, I got the maximum at 26,000. For my L48 I went to the 12,000 gvwr trailer, because at 7,700 lbs., the L48 plus the weight of the trailer went over 10,000, so I figured I be on the safe side and go with 12,000. Now I have to get myself a CDL

Tony Clifton
11-07-2004, 03:28 PM
All of our trucks are white too, except for mine, it is dark blue (I realized I didnt want to pay for all of my trucks to be painted so I started going with white). If I were you I would go with tan or Blue, white is nice but everybodies trucks are white, I think the tan would be sharp, plus I feel it kinda goes with our industry. I still want to paint all of our trucks bright green.

Ursushorribilus
11-07-2004, 03:59 PM
Tony Clifton, I gotta admit, I do like the tan - earth color is good for landscaping - but that red just bites you in the butt and demands attention :waving:

Lawnworks
11-07-2004, 10:07 PM
debt sucks

GreenMonster
11-07-2004, 10:50 PM
:rolleyes:

Come on Tony.

GREEN!

I was wondering why you had gotten a van for landscaping??? Seriously, what was the thought process there?

Ursushorribilus
11-08-2004, 09:25 PM
:rolleyes:

Come on Tony.

GREEN!

I was wondering why you had gotten a van for landscaping??? Seriously, what was the thought process there?

That's an easy one...it's a 1-ton monster (6.5 turbo-diesel), it's in mint condition, and most importantly, it was cheap :drinkup:

Albemarle Lawn
11-08-2004, 11:09 PM
Nice truck, A have a 2004 c5500 crew 2wd with enclosed landscape body. It is very distinctive and gets a lot of compliments.

Make sure you get power windows and locks, I didn't, and what a hassle with 4 doors.

I don't care for the driver's seat, it is awful and has a really short seat cushion (even though it is an air seat it is still awful).

Also, lots of quality issues. Plastic clipboard and seat recline knobs broke immediately, and I have never experience a vehicle with so many squeaks/rattles and even thuds and clanks. The horn never worked but I'm 60 miles from my dealer so I haven't addressed that yet.

KB

Lawnworks
11-09-2004, 10:14 PM
Albemarle Lawn,
How much did that set you back? Got any pics? That sounds like an isuzu killer.

Albemarle Lawn
11-10-2004, 04:33 PM
Will get you pics.

It has a factory governor at 75 MPH and I have had more than one Isuzu drive away from me on the interstate as I watched helplessly. The Duramax is strong but it is pushing a lot of weight.

It is 22,000 gross and I had it custom made with an attic above the cab (looks like a moving van). The attic is great for fertilizer spreaders, bales of straw, etc, anything up to 1,000 lbs.

Will post pics.
Ken

Albemarle Lawn
11-10-2004, 04:34 PM
$38,000 for the chassis cab, + $10,000 for the van body and trailer hitch, total $48,000 +/- plus tax and a lot of effort putting it all together.

Lawnworks
11-10-2004, 09:47 PM
I guess that probably isn't too far off from a new Isuzu. What kind of ramp system do you have?

Ursushorribilus
11-10-2004, 10:43 PM
Bad news...my loan request got torpedoed, which surprised me, because it was a mortgage. To pay cash would stretch the limits of my resources right now, which I won't do because I know I'll need money for operating expenses. The bank president did say that if/when I establish a business account and show sufficient income, the loan will go through. Well, at least I'll have all the equipment I'll need, but it looks like I'll be towing it with the 1-ton van:(

Eric 1
11-11-2004, 11:05 AM
Sorry to hear that. But, How do you run a business without a bank account?

GreenMonster
11-11-2004, 09:39 PM
Tony, there's used dump trucks out there too, ya know.....

Ursushorribilus
11-11-2004, 10:18 PM
Sorry to hear that. But, How do you run a business without a bank account?

My business is in the process of being put together right now, Eric, and I've primarily been accumulating equipment, which I've been paying cash for. My plans are to begin in the spring, giving me the rest of fall and the winter to prepare. The legalities, LLC (my accountant actually advises that I go with sole proprietorship, any thouhgts?) and business account, are in the works now as well - the only holdup here is me trying to decide on a business name.

I have a certain amount of cash to spend, and investing in equipment is my priority. I'm leaving myself a healthy padding of cash for operating expenses, so it's either equipment of truck, and I guess a used truck is my next option.

Ursushorribilus
11-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Tony, there's used dump trucks out there too, ya know.....
I hear ya Mark, and that's where I'm heading...checking out Uncle Henry's, the Want Ad Advertiser, and will be driving the length of Rt. 125 down to Plaistow in a search for a good used dump. But I will get that Kodiak before 2005 is out! Tony