PDA

View Full Version : Post-Dated Checks

proenterprises
11-03-2004, 09:36 PM
I just recieved 2 post dates checks for leaf clean-ups today (wednesday) and they are both dated for Friday. One is a one time customer and the other is a regular.

Its not that big of a deal, 2 days isint going to kill me.

Just wondering what you other guys do, if anything on post dates checks.?

Turf Medic
11-03-2004, 09:54 PM
Not sure what your local laws are, but here in Nebraska if you accept a post dated check or even a correctly dated check with the customer "joking" that it will bounce it is now a promissory note. In either case the county attorney will not help collect it if is returned insufficient, you are on your own. We don't accept them.

impactlandscaping
11-03-2004, 10:14 PM
My mother in law has been in banking for 20 years. She told me once before that the date on a check has nothing to do with when to cash it. Someone could write you a check dated for next year, and the bank will still cash it today( at least in Pa and WV)..But as far as accepting a check from someone on Monday saying " it will be good by Friday", I tell them Visa right now is good for me....

justanotherlawnguy
11-04-2004, 01:01 AM
I use bank of america, and I have had customers give me checks without a date as well as post dated checks, I still deposit them and they go through no problem. Its not even an issue these days.

mtdman
11-04-2004, 01:17 AM
My mother in law has been in banking for 20 years. She told me once before that the date on a check has nothing to do with when to cash it. Someone could write you a check dated for next year, and the bank will still cash it today( at least in Pa and WV)..But as far as accepting a check from someone on Monday saying " it will be good by Friday", I tell them Visa right now is good for me....

I have found banks will also cash checks that aren't signed, as well.

HOOLIE
11-04-2004, 10:51 AM
They also cash checks that weren't even made out to yoe. I guess thats what you get when banks hire tellers at $8 an hour for a 25-30 hour week.

I've always just cashed post-dated checks with no problems. I would only wait on a check for a good customer that asks nicely.

Also, all banks that I have dealt with have a "merchant check verification" number to can call. You enter the customers checking account # and the amount of the check, and they tell you if there's enough cash to cover it.

Stuttering Stan
11-04-2004, 04:57 PM
SOunds suspicious. A post dated is saying they don't have the money, but in the future they will have the money. What if something else happens and they write another check and bounce yours.

tiedeman
11-05-2004, 04:00 PM
I have never been able to cash a check that is post-dated.

MMLawn
11-05-2004, 04:03 PM
I have never been able to cash a check that is post-dated.

Nor have I. For anyone that did the bank just didn't catch it is all. They probably post dated it due to the New Check 21 Law since they couldn't float it anymore. Also is all states if you accept a Post Dated check you cannot file any criminal charges (only Civil) if it is bad.

YardPro
11-12-2004, 08:13 PM
here writing a bad check is illegal. the courts WILL ger your money if you pursue it. if not they will do some time.

banks will DEPOSIT the check to your account becuase if a problem arises with it they will deuct the $$ from your account

The Mowing Man
08-31-2007, 01:46 AM
I have a customer that gave me a post-dated check that I accidently deposited early. Well, they wrote that they are now overdrawn with late fee's and want to know if there is anything I can do. I cashed the check last Friday when it was suppose to be held until this Friday. I want to be fair to them, but don't want to give everything away. My margins are pretty slim as it is. Any suggestions as to what a good compromise could be so as to not screw myself out of customer or get bad word of mouth.

I did advise her to talk to her bank's manager to see if they could work something out. And I'm going to talk to my bank about this as well. I just hate knowing I accidentally did this family with kids, since my wife and I have been in situations like this in the past. One mess up when you're living day to day by robbing Peter to pay Paul...

lawnMaster5000
08-31-2007, 04:17 PM
Mowing Man,

Did the client ask you to hold the check?

If so, and you agreed, then I would see it as you are responsible for their fees since you broke the verbal contract to hold the check.

If NOT, then you are responsible for nothing. You do not have to verify the dates on checks. I never check the dates, sometimes I do just notice some odd dates.

topsites
09-01-2007, 07:34 AM
Way I do things, send me the money when you have it, all my customers get 30 days anyhow.
Then if they don't pay it goes through collections, it's a catch-22, I find more of these 'can I write you a post-dated check' end up in collections vs. any other customer, guess I should've just accepted it post-dated but either way it's bad news waiting to happen.
It's a big red flag, translates to someone likely has bad credit or is on their way there.

These people knew, when they agreed, whether they could afford it, or not.
This isn't some big secret here, I almost always charge as quoted, certainly all the post-dated folks I don't think I ever charged more than what was quoted, but whatever, I need to get paid and not some how do I get around it crap. And if I quoted them a high price because I thought they might not pay, if I quoted them a high price because it was 100f outside, and if I quoted them super high because I didn't like the way they looked, ALL they had to do was call someone else. But, they agreed.

I used to do it but I can't deal with holding checks anymore, much like the other guy when a deposit goes in the bank it is all too easy to deposit that one I was supposed to hold. Oh and now the phonecall and I'm supposed to feel guilty, but really it wasn't my fault, no, see this whole thing puts me in a bad spot from the git go.

Here in VA it's against the law to deal with it at all (writing or accepting it), so right away I'm doing something wrong. It is also a sign this person has a money problem, sooner or later it's one of those customers I gotta drive by their house two and three times before I get paid, that or a check bounces, sooner or later for sure. But as for getting paid, post-dated or not once the check bounces that is also against the law, I suppose this varies from state to state.

Don't do it, best solution I've found, that and when you do get paid, that's the last time they saw me, too.