PDA

View Full Version : search engine comments

volranger
11-03-2004, 10:29 PM
Whenever someone asks a question can we please stop answering them by telling them to use the search engine. Eventually I am sure they will figure out how best to use this site. Most of the time when I do a search on a topic what I mainly get back from the search is people saying "why don't you use the search engine." Now about half the threads I get back from a search is some bone head trying to move up on his member status by putting up wasteful and bogus posts.

lawnwizards
11-03-2004, 10:33 PM
kinda like this thread?

volranger
11-03-2004, 10:35 PM
Typical "SENIOR MEMBER" response.

geogunn
11-03-2004, 10:36 PM
........some bone head trying to move up on his member status by putting up wasteful and bogus posts.

I know which member from new joisey you are talking about.

welcome to lawnsite and GO VOLS!!!

GEO

shepoutside
11-03-2004, 10:37 PM
:waving: Hi volranger

1MajorTom
11-03-2004, 10:39 PM
The "use the search" comment is both a good and bad one.
Good because believe it or not, a lot of members are new to forums, and do not even realize that a search option is available. It is also good because there is A LOT of really good information that has been posted before, and if a member has already given out that information 5,10 or 15 times, more than likely they wont repost it AGAIN. So that's where the search engine comes into play.
The bad part with "the use the search" reply is that new members get offended easily thinking that the "older" members don't want to be bothered with them. That is really not the case though.

Ryan Lightning
11-03-2004, 10:43 PM
Use the search this has been brought up before. :p

Fareway Lawncare
11-03-2004, 10:43 PM
Do a search & see how many times this eXact topic has been discussed...

volranger
11-03-2004, 11:11 PM
1,174 posts of wasted electrons

Runner
11-04-2004, 02:30 AM
LOL! I hear that! I say the same thing sometimes, so I am one of the guilty partys. One reason it is said, and kind of like Jodi said, is that you would be surprised how many people come on, ask one of the VERY common questions, then when it IS answered, their next question is another one that has been answered several times over. Here's kind of how it goes...
Member joins, says they are glad they found the place, yada, yada, yada....
Q 1. I'm looking to get into the biz, what kind of equipment should I buy? I have a tractor now. Would it be worth it to find a good commercial mower?

Q.2. Walk behind or rider? I have xx to spend. What brand?

Q.3. How do I get work? How do I price? How much is this job worth?

Q.4. Can I make it as a business? Should I quit my job and go full time?

Q.5. How do I stripe?

Q.5. What is this "double blades" I hear so much about? Can I do this? Do I just put them on on top of each other? How do I do this?

Q.6. Do you guys do other work like shrubbery and stuff, too? How do you price it?

Q.7. Should I really charge a dollar a minute? Is this the standard pricing scale for the industry?

Q.8. How do I advertise? Should I run a yellow pages ad? Should I put flyers in mailboxes?

Q.9. I want to hire help. Do I have to pay taxes, insurance and workman's comp on employees like every other business and industry in the whole United States, or can I just 1099 them?

Q.10. Why don't people use the search feature more?

Anyway, Volranger, I would just like to say welcome to the site, and I'm sure you will find the info and most everyone here a great asset. It truly is a great place. Carefully read around the posts as well as into them to get the most out of them, and occasionally, you will come across a member like me that you won't learn a DOG gone thing from. Good luck, and I wish we all the best. I f there is anything myself or anyone else can help with, don't hesitate to ask. Oh, and a simple rule of thumb here, there really are no dumb questions here. (Although sometimes yuo can get some dumb answers - just read some of my posts!lol).

Tonyr
11-04-2004, 08:09 AM
Funny you bring this up, when I was new here I asked a few questions and was quicky told to do a search before asking, which ticked me off.

The search feature is great, but having real time assistance cannot be matched by hundreds plus of posts dug up by a search which requires many hours of filtering, just to find your question wasn't exactly answered anyway!

Not so much now, but last year there as a strong element where members wanted to be forum police.

OK, say ya out cutting, a guy pulls up and politely starts a professional courtous conversation about the industry, do you say, g'day mate, i reckon....or do ya say, fuc. off wanker, find ya own info, get outa my face, this is my world and i'm not sharing any bloody thing!?

Well, I know both attitudes exist here, some want to help, some like the entertainment, some just want to be mean....

Those that like to jump down ya neck behind a keyboard amuse me...most wouldn't be so rude to ya face on the street, lots of keyboard heros...

When I see repeated dumbass questions I too wish they had searched....so being a clever aussie that values my time, I choose to open threads I'm interested in, I don't open constantly repeated questions and I don't go thumping my chest screaming, do a friggin search ya loser cause I'm a big tough lawn internet pro!!

OK, a bit of humour there....but c'mon, if the thread is not of interested, move on, don't go in to blast someone....

Bing nice ain't so bad, drink less coffee or something, don't say to people here what ya wouldn't to their face, the amount of ''attitude'' sometimes shown here is enough alone worth logging on!

In my country ya want to get tough, mouth off at someone, you get ya ass kicked, interesting to see how different countries act socially.

BTW, I've learn't a lot here, met a lot of great people, real time interaction has helped me 98% of the time, the search feature ''can'' be out of date and not as usefull. IMO.

Those that cruise threads and constantly tell others to search....you blokes have too much time on ya hands, fair bloody dinkem....go kick a cat or something, want to stir or upset people, go do it offline, not be an internet thug.

I'll go do a search now cause I remember this coming up before, so before yas blast me, go search, you may of already commented LOL, LOL!

volranger
11-04-2004, 08:46 AM
Tony/Joe, thanks, great comments.

V/R
JUCO

65hoss
11-04-2004, 09:12 AM
Did you search before you posted this thread?
Just kidding.

Actually you better get used to it. Winter is coming soon, and it only gets worse.

MOW ED
11-04-2004, 09:16 AM
Hi Vol, welcome to Lawnsite.
Ya know that this has been an eternal topic for the new people and I just will add one thing. Years ago a gentleman named ERIC ELM was a major contributor and pioneer that helped make this site great. Eric always helped anyone who asked but even he knew that lots of these threads were questions that people had but didn't want to search for. He actually made a FAQ section that was referenced to a site he ran. Now I can't post links to other sites but that FAQ section was a great starting point for new members. I would like to see that happen again. It is not that we don't want to answer you it is that over 4 years some of us have seen the same question asked literally hundreds of times.
It would be nice if a new member had access to a FAQ section similar to the type that Eric assembled. Try and be patient with us and understand that there are many thousand members here and that many of us all have similar questions. You can get in arguements here over trivial things and you will certainly get your chain pulled in some of these threads.
The search feature is good but I will admit that there is alot of information in that feature that may not be needed, it is up to the individual to specify what they want to look for as thousands of replies can come up on a general search.
I will always scan for new posts and try and help if I can, at times I also get frustrated with it. I won't always reply but I do read. Good Luck on this site, it is filled with information and is a great resource. If you don't believe me just do a search. Just kiddin.

gogetter
11-04-2004, 09:56 AM
I know I'll be viewed as a bad guy for saying this, but oh well.
Some new members are just being lazy!

I recently took the time to do the search FOR a newer member and posted the link to the search I performed. All he had to do was click on the link and he would have found the answer to his question. But instead, he just posted the same question again in his next post.

It seems that some new members just want to be spoon fed the answers rather then do the legwork to find the answers themselves.

When I read a post that say: "I'm tired of people telling me to do a search", what I REALLY see is "I'm too lazy to do a search myself, I just want someone to GIVE me the information that I want".

gogetter
11-04-2004, 10:11 AM
LOL! Case in point. Read the last sentence in the first post:

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=81527

Lawn-Scapes
11-04-2004, 10:14 AM
You tell 'em Jonathan :D

I hope a lot of people are using the search feature. There are sooo many GREAT discussions from the past that will never be matched or duplicated.

gogetter
11-04-2004, 10:37 AM
The thing is, I'm really not trying to be a jerk, honest ;-)

But when I started here, I posted a question that had been asked a lot already (I didn't realize this, because I was new). A long term member did a search and posted the link to the search for me.
When I saw it, I kinda felt stupid for not just doing the search MYSELF. Instead, some complete stranger is doing the leg work for me!
From that point on, I always search first. Then if I don't find what I'm looking for, I post. Simple as that. I don't cry and complain because people won't just GIVE me the answers!

GreenMonster
11-04-2004, 10:38 AM
I recently took the time to do the search FOR a newer member and posted the link to the search I performed.

I've done the same thing myself, and even though I'm a "Lawnsite Addict", I still consider myself a newbie, and frequently use the search feature. I often find it more useful than a new post -- you don't have to wait for answers, just go find em.

I'm more apt to start a thread now when I want to generate discussion on a not so run of the mill subject. I will admit though, some of my first posts were along the lines "What ZTR should I buy?!?!? :o

BTW, what Joe said is right.

There's no such thing as a dumb question.....

.... just dumb people :D J/K