PDA

View Full Version : Review and Purchase of Dixie Chopper

sniggly
11-03-2004, 10:47 PM
Just thought I'd post some personal observations about my recent demo and subsequent purchase of a Dixie Chopper X2003-50 Coatsville Classic. The Coatsville is Dixie's entry level full commercial duty mower. Never owned a rider.....always been wb....so I am writing from that perspective. I mow mostly residentials 10ksqft or less. Have 2 commercial prop's that are over 30ksqft of turf.

For those that don't know....machine has:
20hp Kohler
50" deck
Turf Boss Tires (24")
OCDC
tach/hour meter
After uncle sam 6600.00

What impressed me the most was the quality of cut I got from this machine. Simply pristine!....better than my walkbehind (36 Metro HP). Absolutely no stragglers from the Dixie. Cutting mostly St. Augustine. Discharge with chute up is....well I don't know what to compare this to.....it just throws anything way out there. The OCDC has holes in it so when it is closed it is only 50% effective. If Dixie meant this setup to provide mulching capability they missed the mark. Clippings don't stay under the deck long enough to do anything but get catapulted superman style out of the chute. If the OCDC is down....the deck simply forces the clippings thru the holes. I can't drive over sand or dirt with the deck engaged under full power. WAY TOO MUCH dust. I have heard that Dixie Chopper's blades are the fastest......and I beleive it. The sand isn't present on any of my prop's but it is at the dealer lot.

Controls are very, very sensitive. Some may say rudimentary since there are no shocks on the control arms. Takes a while to get used to.........infact I have been running it at 3150rpm's to soften the pumps and make it easier to control while I learn. Full power at 3710rpm's.....and if you touch one of the sticks you better be ready to go....it's plenty of power. Mowed 10ksqft of open field today with nothing but 10 inch tall weeds and it handled every bit of it without choke or pause. Tires will spin quickly at full power if you aren't careful or practiced on the steering arms, so learning on customer's property on fewer rpm's is good. It will mow faster than I can handle right now (10mph). Plenty fast enough for residentials and I don't think I'll be going that fast anyway.

If you move forward in a straight line.....and then pull back on the sticks to reverse the mower in a straight line.......the front wheels will spin on the turf and leave a 'divet'. Today I figured out how to keep that from happening by forcing the front to make a small circle before reversing course.

Bottom Line......I am so happy with it my wife had to come out and peel me off the seat for dinner. What an incredibly productive machine. Today I shaved 19 minutes off of one prop. Very very satisfied with it. Good decision.
:cool2:

Rrjp111
11-04-2004, 12:55 AM
Let me know how it goes over the next couple of days. I am looking into getting on like that. I would like to know if there is anything extra you think I should try to get on it. :cool2:

dixhead
11-04-2004, 04:26 AM
I just purchased a used XT-2800 with 32 hours on it and I love it.My current home has a 10,000 SF lot and takes about 8 minutes to mow. I have a 4 acre lot I'll be mowing next year that will be a better test. I'm pretty used to the controls after 3 mowings, but I have done several burnouts in wet grass with the Turf Boss tires. Mine leaves great stripes (has the striping kit) and has plenty of power (28HP EFI Kohler). So far the only annoyance I've noticed is that you have to put the steering levers up to engage/disengage the deck where I would prefer to b able to do it on the fly.

sawman65
11-04-2004, 05:51 AM
you need to run that thing wide open to get the full quality of cut. dixie has just offered a new dump valve that takes some of the power from the pumps
wile you learn. this has been a problem, the dixie is made for the pro's and
the home owner and first time buyers will tear up some grass before they learn how to run the sticks. ask you dealer he can get them. also make sure the deck is pitched at the right angle and the baffles lowered.

Travis Followell
11-04-2004, 05:53 AM
Congratulations on the new Dixie Chopper. You will be very happy with it as the hours start racking up.

sniggly
11-04-2004, 07:12 AM
Sawman65...........are you talking about the baffles on the front of the deck? If so they came from the factory all the way up..... As I think about it.....lowering them would help stop the blowout. Would I sacrifice any quality of cut?

The dealer told me I should check the cut quality while running on less than full power....and I gotta tell ya......it's still great. Fresh blades I guess.

As far as extras go....the only other thing I might put on this machine is the canister air filtration system. It currently uses the stock kohler cowl cover thing. Still thinking about this though since I really don't spend much time on anything that isn't really thick with grass.

Engaging blades on the fly........hmmmmmmm........haven't thought of that but I am concentrating on not tearing up lawns right now. Do you think you coul lock the engagment handle in the 90 degree position and do it with your foot?

I am going to take some pics today and post here.

eagle670
11-04-2004, 09:10 AM
How did the DC stripe for you? I am looking at purchasing a 2005 Silver Eagle 24/50" mower. They have increased the HP on this machine, which was originally 20 hp. That seems like an incredible amount of power for that size of deck. I can't wait to try it. I tried out a Grasshopper 23/52" mid-mount, but was real disappointed with the quality of cut and the fact that it did not stripe. I am using a Scag 36" WB now and it stripes really well. I can't believe how some mowers can do this and others can't. It's a mystery to me.

Lawn-Scapes
11-04-2004, 10:18 AM
Good choice... have fun with it.

sawman65
11-04-2004, 06:29 PM
lowering the baffles should add to the cut quality

Travis Followell
11-04-2004, 06:34 PM
I didn't even know Dixie used an adjustable baffle. They don't have much information on their decks on their website or in their catalogs.

sniggly
11-04-2004, 09:02 PM
Never made it to the pics....got dark before I could get to them. Maybe this weekend.

Travis Followell
11-05-2004, 06:15 AM
I'll be looking forward to seeing some pictures of your new Dixie.

Eric 1
11-05-2004, 07:38 PM
Awsome man!!!! you will love it, they are incredible mowers, mine has served me all season with out a single problem. Have fun :cool2:

Travis Followell
11-05-2004, 08:30 PM
Sniggly, Got those pictures yet? Can't wait to see it. Also if possible take some pictures of a yard you mowed with it.

SouthernYankee
11-12-2004, 11:25 AM
what was the price of your Dixie Chopper? what is the average price for the entry level rider. thanks

Jackman
11-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Congrats on the new rider :drinkup: ....... How do you know the RPM's? Does the dixie have a console tachometer?????

Eric 1
11-12-2004, 01:19 PM
what was the price of your Dixie Chopper? what is the average price for the entry level rider. thanks

Mine was $5800

were in GA are you moving to?

Jackman, yes they come with tach's.

SouthernYankee
11-12-2004, 03:55 PM
I am probally moving to woodstock, my girlfriend currently lives in Alpharetta and I am in Tuscaloosa. I have a background in mostly landscape construction(I am very good on a Bobcat) and I have mowed for a few years also.

I am debating on concentrating on Bobcat work/New construction or going heavily into mowing. Also is a dixie chopper a good mower for all of the hills in Atlanta?

How is the money in landscaping in Atlanta or Ga overall? Any advice you have off hand would be very helpful

ICE
11-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Today I shaved 19 minutes off of one prop. Very very satisfied with it. Good decision.
:cool2:

Just curious, on that property that you shaved 19 minutes off, how long did it take you BEFORE this new mower. Just curious. BTW, glad you were able to get one, maybe one day I will be able to get out from behind the W/B too!

Thanks, Tim

Eric 1
11-12-2004, 08:41 PM
Sothern Yankee

I need you to go enable your P.M's or give me your email addy. I would like to talk to you.