PDA

View Full Version : Cat Landscape Rake Attachment Question

thepawnshop
11-04-2004, 12:02 AM
I know there is already a thread regarding attachments, but it is fairly vague and I want to address one attachment in specific...that is the "landscape rake" attachment. I will be putting in new yards on new construction and I hear that the Harley Rake is the "end all-be all", but I was looking @ this attachment from Cat:

http://cmms.cat.com/cmms/servlet/cat.dcs.cmms.servlet.ImageServlet?imageid=C012205&imageType=1

I like the fact that it actually picks up the debris and rocks while preapring the seedbed at the same time. Is this a good product, or should I stick with the Harley?

Also, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong area...if it is, let me know so I don't continue posting where I shouldn't.

Tigerotor77W
11-04-2004, 12:15 AM
I think the main impetus to go with the landscape rake is its ability to pick up, as you said, the rocks and such while preparing the top layer of the soil. From my observation only, I do not believe the landscape rake is quite as powerful (for tilling INTO the soil) as the Harley box rake. Not sure of the validity of that.

Green Pastures
11-04-2004, 02:19 AM
I've been looking into this exact same thing.

I've been told this is the companion to a Harley rake. The HR will loosen up the rocks and bring them to the surface and then the LR will pick them up.

thepawnshop
11-04-2004, 07:49 AM
If that's the case Green Pastures...that's alot of $$$$$$$$$$. I already know what a Harley Rake costs and have a pretty good idea what this piece will cost so combined you are probably over 10k in attachments...ouch! Not to mention how much trailer space you are looking at as well. I hope others can share their point of view today.

Randy Scott
11-04-2004, 10:56 AM
How's it going Doug.
We have the power rake by Glenmac (harley rake). I think the picture your showing is of a rock hound type attachment. Can't see the picture too well. Anyways, I would assume it's similar since it collects the debris.

When I went to purchase our power rake, I had the same questions. My dealer said there were die-hard rock hound guys just because that piece of equipment was around first. They were comfortable with what they had and didn't want to switch. So you'll get some guys that will swear by those units. My dealer (and now my personal experience as well) said the advantage to the power rake was that you can prep the whole property and as you do so you windrow or power rake all the debris to one central area. You get the grading and leveling all done in one shot and can keep a good flow to the work day. When the grading is all done and you think you have the soil as you want it, you remove the power rake and use the bucket to pick up and load the debris from the prep work.

The problem some guys have with the rock hound, is that it fills up extremely quick, it doesn't really have a large capacity for the debris, and you are constantly making trips across the property to dump the debris in a truck or a spot. Once the unit is full of rocks, it's full. It needs to be dumped.

With the power rake, you can keep the rocks and debris moving to one central area or angle it slightly and keep them rolling off in one direction until they're all at one side or end of the property. The power rake has wings off the front to keep the debris in front of the unit and/or keep it rolling one direction.

The main consensus seemed to be that the power rake was a little more efficient. Maybe some other guys will chime in with rock hound personal experience, I have not used a rock hound and I'm only relaying info I have been told.

Our power rake is great. Very efficient piece of equipment and I couldn't see even doing yards without one. Every company around here uses them. I rarely ever see a rock hound any more.

I see in their advertisements (Glenmac) that they have made improvements to the hydraulics that angle the unit and overall have strengthened the unit. Ours is three years old and has had no problems (knock on wood). I don't see any problem with the angling on ours or any durability issues, so whatever they did to improve it should assumable make it better, yet like I said, we've had no problems or complaints about it. We couldn't get by without it. $6500 but worth every penny.

lx665
11-04-2004, 04:24 PM
One thing to keep in mind about the rock hound...you operate it by backing up the skid steer. It does a nice job but needs to be dumped often.

I've been using the harley rake for the past four years and am very happy with it. I don't see where you would need both.

John

Scag48
11-04-2004, 08:27 PM
The rock hound does only one thing and that is pick up debris. The Harley does much more than that. While the Harley doesn't physically pick up the rocks, it grades, tills the soil, and directs the debris where it needs to go for further collection. Backing up with that rock hound all day would be a pain and if you had a large lot that needed to graded, the rock hound would be worthless. Now I would like to have a rock hound to just collect debris in addition to our Harley rake, but it's just not cost effective to have both.

jreiff
01-21-2005, 10:09 AM
We use the landscape rake, or what you call the rock hound. What is nice about the landscape rake is that is picks up all that debris. Yeah you have to make trips back to the dump truck to dump, but when you think about it you also have to make trips to the dump truck when you are picking up the debris that the harley rake as raked towards the side. Then when picking up after the harley rake you are then driving over what you have just raked. Thus having to get out the hand rake and re-raking or changing attchments and putting the harley rake back on. The landscape rake does till into the soil, right around 2-3". Might not be as much as the harley rake, but for us and seeding it works great. We have not yet tried a harley rake. Have seen it demoed. Have looked into it, but not really been impressed by it. Oh, another thing about the landscape rake filling it quickly, is does at times, but usually alot of dirt will get in there, so you have to shake it out alittle. Put your arms in the are and flip the rake up and down. Just like you would be thinly peppering dirt over an area.

BUt like someone already mentioned, it basically comes down to personal preferance and what works best for you. Just because it works best for me does not mean that you will like it and it will work for you. Just thought i would give my 2 cents on it. Thanks

ksss
01-25-2005, 03:03 AM
We use FFC Preparators. Similiar to a Rock Hound only it uses a rotating drum instead of chains with teeth. The Preparator is heavier and more heavy duty than Rock Hound but the results are very close. These machines dig every bit as deep as a Harley. In harder gound I rip it with a scarfier which makes leveling a breeze and then rock rake it. They also do more than pick rock they also level as does a Harley. We have done extremely large jobs with these and I doubt they would be any slower than a Harley. I use them similar to Harley in that I typically pull the material into a pile (either linear or a circular) and either use the Preparator to move it off of the yard or switch to a bucket and load into a truck. I favor the Preparator because there are no tire tracks and if I chose I can clean up the pile and load with the same attachment. They produce a cleaner looking lawn than does a Harley without having to rake out tire tracks. The Preparator runs on wide skids where the Rock Hound uses a knife like skid. The Rock Hound tends to dig in deeper especially in soft dry soil causing the bucket to fill. The key is to increase the angle of the bucket preventing the dirt from staying in the bucket. You need to pickup the rock lines more frequently but this prevents hauling off topsoil. Also the Preparator has a perferated bottom which helps sift away excess soil and the wide skids keep the machine on the surface.