PDA

View Full Version : Distance to dealer, how far is to far?

sodzilla
11-04-2004, 02:23 AM
I am moving my business from Wisconsin to NW Wyoming for next season. Currently I have a Hustler WB but will be adding a z next season. I did a milage search on the manufactures websites. Nearest dealer to my location: Hustler 74 miles, Exmark 66 miles, Dixiechooper 145 miles. How far would you be willing to drive to your dealer? I guess thats the price you pay for moving to such a beautifull area.

Travis Followell
11-04-2004, 06:04 AM
All three really seem to far but if those was your choices then go with Exmark or Hustler. I wouldn't drive 145 miles to a dealer for another brand.

CathyLynn
11-04-2004, 07:53 AM
Solve that problem--start your own dealership......

Just kidding! :waving:

Richard Martin
11-04-2004, 10:23 AM
Of those three I think I would choose the one that has a history of few repairs over the long haul. They are all high quality mowers but not all can be run trouble free for an extended time.

I have no experience or know of anyone with a Hustler so I can't speak for that make.

My best friend has 2 Exmarks Lazer Zs and they do have parts that must be routinely replaced or breakdown. Exmark recommends replacement of the front wheel bushings and the steering dampeners at a regular interval. His antiscalp rollers also have a habit of falling off, replaced the Warner blade clutches before 1,000 hours, replaced a PTO switch, replaced the belts and a bunch of other little stuff.

I have two Dixie Choppers. One is so new that I won't even speak of it for this conversation's purposes. My 2001 XW2500 has been almost trouble free. I have replaced one brake cable and one throttle cable. Everything else on the mower, except for things like the blades and oil filters, is original including the belts. It has 1,200 hours on it.

I also know of several places that will send you original (make note that these would be genuine Dixie Chopper parts, not replacements) Dixie Chopper parts via UPS, USPS and FedEx.

Smithers
11-04-2004, 07:56 PM
Cathy is right. If i were you, i'd start my own dealership and hire a few people to continue your lawn business on the side. You will be making a ton of cash unless the area has 1 person per 100 square miles. There is a dealer close to my house that sells Buntons, Toro's and Dixie Choppers, so you dont have to sell only one brand.

Another thing....Exmark guarantees that you will get your parts the next day.

Man, i thought that driving 13 miles to my dealer is too far.

george

Richard Martin
11-05-2004, 04:16 AM
Another thing....Exmark guarantees that you will get your parts the next day.

There's a little more to it than that. The mower must be "down". The part(s) must be ordered by the dealer before 1:00 pm and must be 6 parts or less. If you or your dealer (at the discretion of the dealer) receive the parts the next day then you pay for the parts and overnight shipping ($$$). If you or your dealer doesn't receive the parts the next day then the parts and shipping are free. There are some other details but this is the bulk of Exmark's Parts Plus Program.

CathyLynn
11-05-2004, 07:59 AM
The other flaw here is that just by being a dealer you will make a "ton of money"!!!!!!!!!You would have to walk in a dealers shoes to see what it is really like--it's a lot tougher than being an LCO in so many ways...sigh...... :dizzy:

Imagine, as an LCO doing 50 or so estimates per week, really selling yourself and your comapny, and getting "no sale".............imagine dealing primarily with people, who, on the surface, talk QUALITY, but the real deciding factor, quality be d*****, will always be price.--That's everyday life for a dealer.

There's still enough good customers out there to make the dealership bit worth it..but it's a lot of work and no guarantee!

BMFD92
11-05-2004, 08:36 AM
75 miles to the nearest dealer? That sux man. My dealer is three blocks up the road. Im always going by on the walkbehind to do some lawns.