PDA

View Full Version : Funny Phone Call

jpmako
11-04-2004, 09:27 AM
Last night I was checking my messages and this lady that I do full maintenance for calls and sounded very upset. Her message was Jason could you please call me back I need to ask you a very important question.
Well I am thinking - actually I did not know what to think.
2 Messages later it is her again, this time she sounds like she is crying. Jason please call me back before 9 A.M. tomorrow morning it is very important.
Well I just called her back, apparently she needs me to remove a dead squirrel because the town would not come over and remove it for her! I am like what? that is what was so important? Anyway She sounded like she was crying on the phone because of this dead squirrel! I was laughing on the phone - she says that all I have to do is put it by the curb and she will call the town, they will come and get it.
This got me thinking - Would Bobby have a specific surcharge in his contract for removing dead animals? ;)

65hoss
11-04-2004, 10:15 AM
Its amazing what some people find so important and get so upset over. Oh well, just charge a service call fee and move on. :help:

Mo Green
11-04-2004, 10:29 AM
I'm sure he would.

work_it
11-04-2004, 10:32 AM
Just try not to laugh when you see her next time, and like 65hoss said, "just charge her a service call fee".

GreenMonster
11-04-2004, 10:35 AM
I started up my wood stove for the first time the other night. Dead chipmunk in there.

I think he'd been there for a while. :alien:

Westbrooklawn
11-04-2004, 11:04 AM
I had a very good residential customer that called me once to remove a dead snake that had gotten caught in some netting, and once to remove a live bird that had gotten caught in netting (used to cover shrubs and flowers due to severe deer problems). In both cases I made a special trip at no charge. I made the cost up many times over just due to the fact that it was such a good customer, and her appreciation was always reflected in her attitude which was "just do whatever you needs to be done to keep the property looking good, and include the charge in the monthly bill.......". Never hassled about price, and payment was received within a week of when I mailed monthly bills.

work_it
11-04-2004, 11:28 AM
That's a nice point Westbrooklawn, but my experiences haven't always been so favorable. This is where it's important to know your customers. I had a couple customers who would take any chance they had to take advantage of me. If you start doing things for free (little favors) brace yourself for the reprocussions.

geogunn
11-04-2004, 11:50 AM
apparently she needs me to remove a dead squirrel because the town would not come over and remove it for her!

hmmmmm....... how long had it been dead????

GEO :waving:

LCME
11-04-2004, 12:38 PM
Three letters... pms :cry:

rodfather
11-04-2004, 03:47 PM
This got me thinking - Would Bobby have a specific surcharge in his contract for removing dead animals? ;)

I'm sure he's had one from the very beginning...even if someone asks him for the time of day as well.

jpmako
11-04-2004, 04:48 PM
I just got back from removing the squirell. it took all of 20 seconds to move it from her yard to the catch basin in the street! I think $50.00 sounds fair what do all of you think?
Maybe she will see it in the catch basin and call again. then I will tell her I took it with me and this must be a different squirell. $50.00 again payup
Then I was thinking I will prop a dead squirell up on her porch with a cigarette in its mouth. that one would be worth at least a hundred.
Maybe there is money in this for me (Extra Services) I think I will start advertizing.

What the hell are people thinking when they call and ask their Landscape Professional to remove dead animals? can anybody explain this to me?
Well on a good note she signed up for service for 2005

Jason

rodfather
11-04-2004, 04:52 PM
What the hell are people thinking when they call and ask their Landscape Professional to remove dead animals? can anybody explain this to me?Jason

Dunno. Is it on your biz card or resume? LOL :rolleyes:

jpmako
11-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Dunno. Is it on your biz card or resume? LOL :rolleyes:

Not that I am aware of. It just kills me that these people mainly wealthy New Jersey Clients that I have feel it is necessary to call me for this kind of "Problem" like I don't have anything better to do? Do you get these kind of calls? or am I the only one?

Jason

rodfather
11-04-2004, 05:30 PM
Do you get these kind of calls? or am I the only one?Jason

Can't say I've been that lucky so far (to remove dead animals) that is. I've had my share of other strange requests though...

brentsawyer
11-04-2004, 06:54 PM
Got a better one. How about a live bat flying around in the attic. Sorry, mam, I'm not in that business and my rabies vaccine just expired. LOL JK

Mdirrigation
11-04-2004, 07:45 PM
In the county I live in they bid out the job of picking up dead animals, road kill , to the family pet. The contract went for 85,000 last year .

jpmako
11-04-2004, 07:54 PM
In the county I live in they bid out the job of picking up dead animals, road kill , to the family pet. The contract went for 85,000 last year .

Holy Crap I am in the wrong business. LOL

Del9175
11-04-2004, 08:04 PM
A long time ago, my dad got a call to remove a dead racoon in a crawl space. I don't know how he did it because the stench was almost unbearable to me.

GrassBustersLawn
11-04-2004, 08:49 PM
I have a commercial client that has a drainage ditch in their front yard. It has a BIG metal grate, probably 6 foot x 6 foot. Every time it rains the ditch fills up, because it drains the whole neighborhood. Stuff (newspapers, leaves, plastic bags, cans, sticks, etc.) floats down the ditch and covers the grate. They call me & I come scrape it off, because their parking lot floods if left covered. I was there 2 times last week. First time there was a BIG RACOON laying dead on top of the pile. It had been dead awhile because it was RIPE and covered in maggots. It wouldn't fit down thru the grate because it was too big, so I took it over to a neighboring vacant property and threw it under a bush. The next time there was a freshly dead rabbit (no stink, no maggots) luckily it fit into the grate. Anything bigger than a racoon is getting tossed into the street for the city to handle!

Mike

Precision
11-05-2004, 11:08 PM
Hey just be glad they think of you. That means they like the job you are doing and are not terribly likely to become PITA's. I have 2 clients like that. They are now trained to offer payment when asking for something bizarre. They are my favorite clients (well except for that one girl and her G-string sun bathing fridays) cause it certainly breaks up the monotony.

mpflood
11-05-2004, 11:31 PM
Please chime in man!
I gotta hear it! :realmad: