PDA

View Full Version : I am still cutting grass!!!!

MOW ED
11-04-2004, 10:21 AM
Its nice to finally see the leaves falling off the trees but as of this first week of November I am still having to show up at my weekly mow only customers and cut grass. My fertilized lawns are growing at 2 inches a week as we have yet to have the multiple hard freezes that stop the growth and moisture has been plentiful this fall after drought conditions this summer.
So I am making up some of the revenue that was lost when everything browned out in August and didn't return until 2 weeks ago. I will never figure the weather out.

Anyone else in the cool season still cutting?

Lawn-Scapes
11-04-2004, 10:29 AM
Yes, I'm still cutting. Raining today or I'd be out. I have been able to stretch it out to every other week for the last few weeks. I can't believe you are still cutting weekly up where you are Ed. I'm glad it's working out for ya though. Get it when & while you can :cool2:

work_it
11-04-2004, 10:34 AM
I'm shocked you're still cutting grass that far north. Last year I was still cutting grass until the first week of December. Looks like there's a chance I'll be doing it again this year.

all ferris
11-04-2004, 10:48 AM
I want to quit but the crap keeps growing. I'm taking today and tomorrow off and hope to finish up next week. I'm ready to park the mowers in the shed till next year. There is rain/snow in the forecast for next week friday so hopefully that means the temps will get cold enough to send the grass into dormancy. I would cut today and tomorrow but it has been raining the last 3 days so it's way too wet

zmowingmaster
11-04-2004, 11:04 AM
we still have 50% of the accounts on weekly bases, and the rest for every other. but i was amazed yesturday how i found out that there is still grass growing in lots of yards, hey ALL FERRIS i took monday and tuesday off too, and today it seems that it will stay wet outside, so another day off...

Ability
11-04-2004, 11:20 AM
The grass is growing like crazy here. But the darn rain WILL NOT STOP. It is getting on my nerves.

GarPA
11-04-2004, 11:27 AM
yep...its still growing in PA. While we're back to 10 to 14 days between service calls, the grass thinks it April I think given the warm fall and lots of rain. One our our best commercial customers who never complains did call me last week and ask me when I think we'll be done cutting since he's blown thru his land budget the past 2 years (snow and grass). Me thinks allot of property mgrs have blown thru their budgets the past couple years.

DLCS
11-04-2004, 11:47 AM
i'm still cutting a few of mine weekly. So wet here, can't get clean-ups done or mow.

twins_lawn_care
11-04-2004, 11:52 AM
still growing, and raining though, so we'll keep on mowing. don't mind it though, as the more weeks, the more $
could have used some of this rain back in August though!

WigginsLandscaping
11-04-2004, 11:53 AM
Here in Memphis. Still wet still warm enough to grow grass. I cant believe this. Still have full schedule as soon as rain stops long enough to cut. Getting cooler this week so should slow a bit. But grass already talk here. Very strange. But I enjoy the cash. We are swamped. Leaves falling, grass growing, tree work starting to come in. Life isnt that bad for us. Just too darn wet to get to it. UUUGGGGG!!!

lqmustang
11-04-2004, 12:12 PM
Northeast Ohio here, and have a few that I'm still cutting weekly, but most are now at every other week. Good thing as leaves are taking up so much of my time I'd be really pressed to mow everyone weekly still. About 80% or better down now. Looks like I should be on pace to pack everything up by Thanksgiving again this year, or maybe even a touch earlier.

ICE
11-04-2004, 12:18 PM
I think I made a cardinal error. I informed my clients that I would be ending service mid-Oct. But we here in central NY have had several 60 degree days and I have seen alot of the other guys still out there mowing. :realmad: But I guess that if there is a good side to this is that I am new to the biz and I only had two accounts! Ah well, live and learn. BTW, how do you guys make your customers aware of your service ending for the year? Thanks!

Lawn-Scapes
11-04-2004, 12:45 PM
My service agreement reads: "..... season April 1 - November 30..... cut on an as needed basis."

Smithers
11-04-2004, 08:23 PM
Tom is right. You can state it in the contract, but i have found out that my customers already knew when i will be stopping. they have had their grass cut by someone else before i took over. They knew that it would be every other week starting mid October.

In michigan the grass still grows, but slower than a few weeks ago.

ALarsh
11-04-2004, 08:35 PM
Cutting weekly again. I was down to every other week, but after all the rain i'm back up to weekly again. :) I'm happy, as I need extra money for some purchases.

Avery
11-04-2004, 08:45 PM
Its nice to finally see the leaves falling off the trees but as of this first week of November I am still having to show up at my weekly mow only customers and cut grass. My fertilized lawns are growing at 2 inches a week as we have yet to have the multiple hard freezes that stop the growth and moisture has been plentiful this fall after drought conditions this summer.
So I am making up some of the revenue that was lost when everything browned out in August and didn't return until 2 weeks ago. I will never figure the weather out.

Anyone else in the cool season still cutting?

You are still cutting because you use Walker's. Get a Toro....you would have been finished weeks ago!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Envision
11-04-2004, 09:43 PM
Still mowing over 50% of my accounts every week, most will go to every 2 weeks after next weeks service. Ground is almost too saturated to be mowing, but they have to be cut -- just have to 'tread' lightly...

CathyLynn
11-04-2004, 11:43 PM
Now real quick Avery--what exactly would the difference in mowers have to do with whether we were still working or not? Do your ALMIGHTY TORO,S knock all the remaining leaves off the trees and stop grass from growing.

Quick--I am sure we are all curious here!!

Avery
11-04-2004, 11:47 PM
Refer to the BEENIE WEENIE post you made awhile back Cathy.....

IT WAS A JOKE!! :)

alpine692003
11-04-2004, 11:53 PM
I am still cutting grass, as well..

lampeslawnservice
11-05-2004, 12:15 AM
Darn rain, work one day, rain the next two. Thats how it has been here. get leaves cleaned up and the rain comes to knock more down. Still mowing grass here too. About 50% weekly or when ever the rain lets me. Rained yesterday, so I poured concrete at my parents house today. Boy you oughta see the ruts that truck left. Some reason I think I know who's gonna have to fix em.

lafrance4078
11-05-2004, 12:19 AM
Still mowing here in East TN. Seems like spring. Not complaining though, who can't use the money. I am just having probs with getting some projects done. Oh, well. I still am not complaining.

RICHIE K
11-05-2004, 07:05 AM
MY FERTILIZIED LAWNS ARE STILL GROWING GOOD.

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3:

MOW ED
11-05-2004, 07:08 AM
You are still cutting because you use Walker's. Get a Toro....you would have been finished weeks ago!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Now I have to tell ya that I got a MAJOR laugh out of that one and I needed a laugh. I set myself up for that didn't I . Thanks Avery :D

Now we have Mother Nature and her backpack blower working here. Winds were gusting at 30 MPH. Good for some of my peoperties BAddddd for others.
Its supposed to freeze here next week and that should begin the end of the grass growing but we'll see.

T Edwards
11-05-2004, 07:17 AM
Avery, it was a good one , too. I don't laugh out loud too often when I read this board, but you got my morning started.

BobR
11-05-2004, 08:11 AM
Good Grief It's Snowing... Just took a peek out the window and the air is white with snowflakes AND the forcast is for a windy day, just my luck as I spent the day yesterday building leaf piles with the BG and I don't even have the leaf box mounted on the truck yet.. Oh well there is always tomorrow and the weather man is talking about 50° for the weekend (guess who will be out doing cleanups).

BobR

CathyLynn
11-05-2004, 09:01 AM
Got Me

You Win!

bobbygedd
11-05-2004, 09:41 AM
if you are still cutting grass, i think it means you are cleaning leaves for free.

ALarsh
11-05-2004, 05:34 PM
if you are still cutting grass, i think it means you are cleaning leaves for free.

No, actually the grass is growing with all the rain we have been getting in Wisconsin. It is very unusual for us to get rain like this at the end of the season.

tiedeman
11-05-2004, 05:49 PM
I am still cutting strong here as well. I like it when I pick up leaves with the mower because then I get the customer for leaves and mowing.

It's strange, but we haven't had a frost here in almost a month. Everything is still nice and green and growing.

K c m
11-05-2004, 05:55 PM
I want to quit but the crap keeps growing. I'm taking today and tomorrow off and hope to finish up next week.

Why do you say this? That statement sucks.

Branchland
11-05-2004, 05:55 PM
I'm still cutting over half my customers grass. As far as leaves, if they want them mulched I go over them twice and add about 20.00 to the bill. If they want leaf pick up then I charge for a mowing and leaf pick up.

Avery
11-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Why do you say this? That statement sucks.
Maybe he is like me and many others here and has customers on 12 month contracts. I get paid the same month after month. Can't wait for the grass to stop growing.

Eric 1
11-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Alot of my lawns are still being cut, and I am doing clean-ups :dizzy: It has been crazy the last 2 weeks.

Envision
11-05-2004, 08:44 PM

It means that the grass is still growing.... My area is relatively new and there aren't many trees as they either build on farmland or tear out most of the trees.

wiselawns
11-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Here in Southern Indiana, mucho rain, and still in the 60s, grass is growing like it was spring.

CathyLynn
11-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Doing just fine up here in Indy too--almost everything we have is still on regualr schedule--which suits us just fine!