PDA

View Full Version : Power wire on elec. dump is smoking

brentsawyer
11-04-2004, 02:38 PM
I have had an electric dump for a while now and today while dumping, the main power wire that connects the battery to the dump to the main battery upfront was smoking. I never paid any attention to it before but it is only a 12-14 guage wire. IMO which is ignorant on the subhect, I would think that there should be a power wire equal to the battery wire like a 0 guage or something. Anyone know what should be there and what I need to replace it with offhand to fix the problem?

Metro Lawn
11-04-2004, 02:56 PM
yep, sounds as if you need a bigger wire. Wire is carrying more power than it can handle. It may have been fine before, but now may have a problem such as broken strands, corrosion, ect. I would replace it with a size or 2 bigger and it should be fine.

xcopterdoc
11-04-2004, 08:01 PM
I would use 4ga wire. Also check your connections, especially the ground connections. Check the motor for excessive amp draw also. A pivot point on the bed that under load doesnt want to move smoothly will cause excessive amp draw. Check all the possibilities.

hole in one lco
11-04-2004, 08:19 PM
don't forget to upgrade the ground wire to the same gage as the power wire or you will be going through batteries like underwear

UNISCAPER
11-04-2004, 10:01 PM
Not only do you need bigger wire, you should wire a 150 amp in line circuit breaker. The added protection they give is two fold. First, the obvious. Direct short, the breaker pops. Then, they provide added protection to the lift motor by popping if the motor heats up too much. The breaker will cost you $74.00 at Napa. The motor will cost you $300.00. A melted wire, could cost you your truck.

cantoo
11-07-2004, 08:19 PM
I don't have the circuit breaker, I have insurance. I have used my hoist a lot and have never had a problem.

UNISCAPER
11-07-2004, 08:41 PM
If you can afford the down time and can make up the lost revenue from a burned up truck, I would say you have the right approach. Lets say the truck burned up. And you call you insurance company....I'm sure they will come right over the minute you set the phone down and be there with a check for payment in full right? Even if the insurance company was fourthright about a settlement, you will still be without a truck for 6 weeks, unless someone has what you want in stock By the same token, a $75.00 circuit breaker will assure your truck won't burn up because of cable failure.

cantoo
11-07-2004, 09:27 PM
Uniscaper, I use a chevy 1 ton dump and I have a Ford F250 with dump box on it behind my barn as a spare. I also have a spare leaf box so if the chev did start on fire I would just pull the pin on my loader roll it out of the way then use my cell to call my agent. I might even pull the truck up to my Walker so I could get a new one again. I also have a spare Walker sitting in the barn.
PS, I carry two condoms in my wallet too you can never be too prepared. .

dvblandscaping
05-29-2009, 08:57 PM
sorry to resurrect this thread and hijack it... my dump power wire is MASSIVE. bigger than 1 gauge. As thick as my thumb.

There was a chunk out of the wire and I was losing power so I brought it to an auto parts store and the guys says it is welding ground wire.

Would there be any reason the previous owner rigged the dump motor Monarch 811D with this large of a power wire? It is as large as battery terminal wire and is 15' long! I need to get new wire... would 1 gauge work?