PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline odor

Kevin
05-22-2000, 04:01 PM
My trailer is parked in half of my two car garage. Lately I'v noticed the smell of gas is getting stronger. My fuel consumption has not increased, the cans are outside, my only thought are gas spilled on the wood floor of my trailer. Any suggetions appreciated, thank you in advance. Kevin P.S. I am starting a side business here in PA selling Arks.

southside
05-23-2000, 05:51 AM
Check your fuel containers. Sometimes vapour<br>can build up in them and be forced out around the cap.<p>Karl<br>

MOW ED
05-23-2000, 06:52 AM
Check the cans like posted above and double check all fuel lines and filters on all of your equipment. It doesn't take much for a little to flash and turn into a bang. You might also want to check to see that your fuel caps have all the gaskets on. If your garage is hot or your cans are in the sun then the vapors will expand until , a vent releases or the vapor cools. Good Luck.

Kevin
05-23-2000, 07:19 AM
I dont store any fuel containers inside. I was thinking of scrubbing the floors with either clorox or citrus cleaner. Has anyone done this before? Dont want any chemical reaction.

columbiaplower
05-23-2000, 07:43 AM
do you run wb or riders? I had this problem with my wb the gas would splash around in the tank and seep out the cap. <br>-Nick

Kevin
05-23-2000, 07:11 PM
Both wb & ztr. What did you do to clean them or the odor?

CMerLand
05-23-2000, 09:04 PM
Had a very similar situation with a billy goat push blower with a briggs (figures) engine. Not a mechanic but apparantly the needle/float on the carb would stick open filling the fuel bowl which made it very easy to atomize, filling the garage/breezeway with gas fumes. You can tell when its happened from 30 feet away. Solution was to turn the fuel off at the shutoff valve. Aside from that havent had any problems with it for nine seasons of fall leaf cleanup.

grasscapeinc
05-25-2000, 08:08 AM
Get some car odor things that you hang from the rear view mirror, and put them in the garage.

Kevin
05-26-2000, 06:44 AM
I was changing the blades yesterday and found my problem. On my gas tank it is bolted to the frame, where the bolt went into the plastic it was dripping. I called my dealer, he put a new tank on in fifteen minutes total time. The crack was not visible on the tank after it was taken off.