PDA

View Full Version : computer programs

gglawns
11-05-2004, 12:45 AM
i was very unorganized this year so i was thinking about gettng a programto help. Are they worth getting? If so what is the best one?

DiscoveryLawn
11-05-2004, 09:44 AM
I have Lawn Monkey.

With that said I highly recommend checking out Gopher.

I can't wait to switch.

David

tiedeman
11-05-2004, 08:42 PM
what do you need the organization for you? Scheduling, expenses, payroll, inventory, etc?

Team Gopher
11-05-2004, 08:49 PM
Hi DiscoveryLawn,

Thank you for thinking of us.

Hi gglawns,

Please consider downloading our free fully functional trial version of Gopher from our web site and thank you :)

gglawns
11-06-2004, 01:54 AM
I need organization for all of the above. everything about the business basically. so i am asking which one is the best and most well rounded for the money.

jajwrigh
11-06-2004, 02:12 AM
I am currently demoing Quickbooks Simple Start free for 30 days. It is very user friendly and seems to address al of my current needs...

billc
11-06-2004, 11:04 AM
CLIP (www.clip.com) is a great program. CLIP does scheduling, routing, job costing and has versions that will do invoicing, or you can add it to QuickBooks.

Mueller Landscape Inc
11-06-2004, 12:42 PM
I do not recommend Clip.

tiedeman
11-06-2004, 01:19 PM
give the pros and cons of it mueller? Because I have been close in the past of almost getting it.

Mueller Landscape Inc
11-06-2004, 05:35 PM
give the pros and cons of it mueller? Because I have been close in the past of almost getting it.

Sure! The simple reason is that Clip has a policy that they will not help their customer unless that customer is current on their ASA support which costs about $300 per year. My understanding is that this is fairly normal with software vendors. I was not current with the ASA as I do not need to be tutored in the operation of their program. My problem with them is that I had an issue with their Credit Card Module (part of their flagship program). This module was creating errors in reports and charging wrong CC numbers with my customers. I had customers who were double charged and others that were missapplied because of errors within the software itself. It does not happen everytime, but enough for me to lose trust with the software.

If I was current on their ASA, I would still have this problem. The differance is that they would have been willing to help. They told me that I was the only user that had this issue.... I was not and I confirmed this!

I am not a computer wiz, but my gut tells me that they do not test their updates and the changes they make to their program properly.

The way they treated me toward the end sealed the deal as far as me finding a new vender.

Of course after it all went down, they have contacted me several times to get more info on the problem because they can't duplicate it on their end....... They are obviously trying to find the cause. But since then I have figured out a "work around" and will be going with a new vender next year.

billc
11-06-2004, 07:00 PM
Sure! The simple reason is that Clip has a policy that they will not help their customer unless that customer is current on their ASA support which costs about $300 per year. My understanding is that this is fairly normal with software vendors. I was not current with the ASA as I do not need to be tutored in the operation of their program.

John is partly correct. The ASA (Annual Service Agreement) is renewable yearly for $300, and with this the user gets unlimited email tech support plus a certain amount of telephone support, and free updates. However, CLIP users who do not have a current ASA are always able to get support but are charged for the time they use.

tiedeman
11-06-2004, 07:02 PM
thanks for the info Mueller. I know now not to use it

Mueller Landscape Inc
11-07-2004, 12:06 AM
However, CLIP users who do not have a current ASA are always able to get support but are charged for the time they use.

Yes this is true. And in my case I felt that paying for them to fix a problem that was in their software was not warranted.

hoyboy
11-07-2004, 07:22 PM
I will defend Clip here. I've been using Clip for almost 15 years. I used it when I had 1 employee. I use it now that I have over 50 employees. Clip has always been a truly professional company. Have I had my issues with them? Yes. But they have always treated me and my company with the highest level of respect. Overall, they have always supplied a high degree of support.

What other software company would actually start a brand new lawn maintenance company, with profit in mind, just to see what us landscapers go through on a daily basis? Clip did.

For what it's worth, I have used the Credit Card module on Clip for over 4 years now and have never had a problem. My one issue with the Credit Card module is that you can only use a certain clearing house. The rates were ok, but I could have found cheaper at the start. Since then, however, i've been able to negotiate with that clearing house and now have a very good rate.

Dan
Hoy Landscaping, Inc.

Mueller Landscape Inc
11-07-2004, 08:30 PM
Hey Dan,

How many CC do you run per day? And what platform do you use; XP, 2000 etc? Just curious!

For what it's worth, I didn't know I was having a problem till a customer informed me of the double charges. How do you know that you are not having the same issues? I have to call Global almost everyday to confirm the charges I ran that day match what the software is reporting and I find mistakes.

AztlanLC
11-08-2004, 01:07 PM
I would not recommend gopher, their program is just inferior to all the other program out there, is fine to begin with but after a while you start to have so many shortcomings, I was a true believer that their program had so much potential but after waiting over two years since they promised to release the palm module I just gave up, the link with QB is not really a link at all, any customer for which you have a different billing address in QB will not import the invoices, after you transfer the payments then you have to go and manually apply it to each invoice, otherwise sales tax are not tracked, any invoice with late fee charges gets imported but it will lower your sales tax rate even tough in Gopher looks fine, you can not create yearly contracts and the tell gopher to break that into 10 equal payments after customers agree to it. If you are generating an invoice and an item is not listed you can't added in that screen you have to quit your invoice and add the item, it does track chemical use but it doesn't give you any options to change the report or send the information to other program (excel for example) which is a must for the yearly pesticide report. You can add multiple properties to customers, but you can't create a separate invoice for each one. and some other glitches that I can't remember at this time.
I would not be as bad if it were for the reason that they spend more time on the forum all over the Internet trying to convince people to buy the program instead of actually updating the program, last update was back in may 2003 and they were promising the release of the palm version since 2002, it now says under development, what a joke.
I posted all of this suggestion on their forum long time ago but I just gave up on waiting and now I'm looking for something better.
If you want a program that can do basic scheduling and routing gopher is a good try at this price, but if you want a program that can integrate good with QB, and be up to date with todays needs look somewhere else.
This is my rating
Gopher 2 years ago 8 points out of 10
Gopher now 5 points and falling.

Green Dreams
11-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Turftree.com has been Jonny On The Spot with their support. Nice folks....

wagner17
11-08-2004, 08:00 PM
Want to preface by saying that I have not used any of the software programs, but have done a lot of research.

First off CLIP - CLIP may very well be the best program, but it is also the most expensive - by far!!! I think if I were a bigger company, it would be beneficial, but I cannot see dropping $1,000+ for a software program - I could buy a nice blower and trimmer for that amount. This may be nitpicking, but their website is just not user friendly. I honestly do not know all that CLIP can do, and because of that why would I take the chance.

Gopher - Gopher appears to me to be the most user friendly site and program. They offer online tutorials and support and in addition, you get the fully functional 30-day trial. Team Gopher is indeed on the site a lot, but he offers a great deal of information outside of Gopher software. Fully functional software is around $400 - much more manageable. I have heard of difficulties with QuickBooks though.

Groundskeeper Pro - I considered this at first, but have not heard much in the way of positive or negative feedback. Again, I nitpick, but their website just does not present itself as well. I am not knocking the product, as I know little about it, but impressions mean the world to me. Groundskeeper Pro seems user friendly and is also affordable.

Have not read anything about Turftree, but others talk about Lawn Monkey as well. Worth checking into. For starters I would lean towards Gopher or Groundskeeper Pro. Try out the demos and see which one you like better.

Hope this helps.
Steve