PDA

View Full Version : Dang trailer

NC Scaper
11-05-2004, 01:09 AM
This post might get moved but I need help. I cannot get one of my trailers unhooked for nothing, so all I ask is for some ideas. I have never had this problem, so all help is welcomed. I also know it is late to be unhooking a trailer but, we just got back in from delivering some sod in SC.
Robert

Itsgottobegreen
11-05-2004, 01:21 AM
What type of trailer? Type of hitch: ball, 5th wheel, etc. That would help alot.

rick2752
11-05-2004, 02:18 AM
Is the lock froze up? Spray w-d 40 all over it. Block trailer wheels front and back and move the pickup forward and back to break it free. Good Luck

blevinsbulldog
11-05-2004, 02:52 AM
put a jack under it & jack it up , hope this helps

NC Scaper
11-05-2004, 03:03 AM
6.5x14 open, 2 5/16 ball

NC Scaper
11-05-2004, 03:04 AM
will try the ideas, thanx for the suggestions!!!

LwnmwrMan22
11-05-2004, 07:54 AM
NC -

Don't know if you got it off yet, but I've had my trailer bind on the ball sometimes.

Might have to get a floor jack, put a piece of 4x6 or 6x6 on it, and jack up the tongue as high as possible, where you're about lifting the back end of the truck off the ground, at least high enough where you look like you got the 70's - 80's look with the back end of your truck jacked up.

Once you get it like that, jump up on the corner of the rear bumber and start jumping up and down.

If that doesn't do it, you might have to rock the truck back and forth just a little bit.

If THAT doesn't do it, you're going to have to take the ball off, if you can get a pipe wrench to hold it while you try to take the nut off.

Tvov
11-05-2004, 08:11 AM
I am sure you've checked this, but...

Are truck and trailer on level surface? Is trailer unloaded, or at least loaded evenly? Trailer tires aren't up against a bump or rock?

Try this: While someone is trying to move the trailer ball latch / hitch, have someone else bang the hitch with a sledge hammer, preferably as near to the hitch as possible. Obviously be careful doing this. The vibrations may be enough to loosen things.

Moe Fish
11-05-2004, 09:41 AM
the hitch may just be in a bind like other have said. Jack it up just enought to tak a little of the weight off the truck then jump un the bumper of the truck a few time. Most of this time you can bounce them loose that way.
also if the trailer is trying to roll forward or back it could do this

rick2752
11-05-2004, 05:23 PM
OR!!! pull the pin on the reece hitch and pull away. Trailer is unloaded of course.

Redneck'n
11-06-2004, 07:40 PM
i'm sure you've gotten it off by now... but...a 2 and 5/16 ball.. that would be a gooseneck type hitch then correct? if so, does the trailer have to lift off the ball or does the truck have to pull away from it? if it has to lift off. i dont have a clue because none of mine are that type...
if you have to pull away from it, then you might have the trailer lifted to high and it is "grabbing". lower the trailer... if the front of the trailer is going up and the front of the truck is going down and the trailer is loaded, it will grab as well... get things level.
if the front of the hitch as a circular piece that closes around the hitch to secure it, make sure you have it lifted up all the way. if in doubt, take a small hammer and tap it to make sure its all the way..

if none of that is useful because you arent dealing with a gooseneck.
then: i would agree with the jack up the hitching area to look like an '80's ride and jump on the bumper...
if none of that works.. then, uh, i dont know.. but if you'll pay my way there, i'll find a way to get it off the truck...

if you already have it off the truck. what happened? inquiring minds want to know...