PDA

View Full Version : How do you secure your trailer?

thepawnshop
11-05-2004, 12:35 AM
I am buying a new trailer and will have a tool box mounted to it as well as my skid steer/attachments loaded on it and have to leave it (the trailer) on the jobsite. Is there any way to secure the trailer so no one just comes and hooks up to it and drives away? Something like a boot, perhaps?

PLM-1
11-05-2004, 02:10 AM
There are tongue locks that you can get for any type of tongue. You can also try wheel locks like cops use to keep a vehicle from going anywhere. Hope this helped

PCM-LC
11-05-2004, 11:08 AM
I had someone steal my entire rig in late September ($20K in equipment). It was parked in my drive in a subdivision and had a hitch lock. They backed down my driveway and either cut the hitch lock or just hooked it to their bumper with chains.

I have replaced all my equipment and bought a 12' x 24' Building to store the equipment. I have an alarm system in the building and security camera's on the house and building. For the trailer, I found a product called "Trailer keeper" that is a boot designed for trailers. Hopefully it will at least slow down someone wanting to drive off with the trailer.

turftammer
11-14-2004, 11:19 PM
I have seen contractors secure trailers to a telephone pole or tree on the job site with a logging chain but I would think you would need a pad lock with atleast a 1/2 or 5/8 inch shackle because I think it would take one big freaking pair of bolt cutters to cut through a chain and lock that size

UNISCAPER
11-15-2004, 09:47 AM
The easiest ways I have seen to keep a trailer safe is to remove the tires. Aside from that, if you take a model T coil and a 12 volt battery, you can wire the coil so when someone touches the metal on the trailer, they complete the circuit. You can use a car alarm remote to arm the system, and at the same time they touch the circuitry to complete it, have an audible alarm come on. Noice usually scares the loosers off if getting zapped does not.