PDA

View Full Version : Crucified For Business Name

dog245
11-05-2004, 11:03 AM
I have been getting some real crap, from those who do fertilization, for calling my business ".........Lawn Care"
It is true 90% of my business is cutting. However, I recommend others, for the others. Not the ones who are crying. I'm kind of hard headed and it will be a cold day, you get the rest, when I will change my business name because "Lawn Care" is for application treatments only.
I have recommended 18 lawns for treatments X 4 per year to one company. It was so funny, as I was showing one of these lawns, to one of the bitchers, for a bid He said "what about these guys out here mowing and using the name lawn care" at the same time he looks at my shirt and sees my logo. Caught with a mouthful he says "But you advertise with a mower as your logo" Hit the road Jack I won't be needing you.
Am I right or wrong and has anyone else faced this.

Thanks

Green Pastures
11-05-2004, 11:12 AM
Huh? ;)

What are you talking about?

dog245
11-05-2004, 11:18 AM
Whow!

I have been verbally cruccified that only those who do lawn treatments...e.g. fertilizing, weed control, can only be called "Lawn Care" providers.

beransfixitinc
11-05-2004, 11:31 AM
So, as you are out there cutting, are you not caring for the lawn? You are taking care of the lawn by keeping it cut and trimmed and in presentable condition. Why not suggest to the guy he quit using "Lawncare" and change his to "Spreader of **** On Lawn" ?

dog245
11-05-2004, 11:40 AM
I am just inquiring if this is a problem anyone else has encountered.

Up North
11-05-2004, 12:22 PM
Dog,
My name doesn't include the words "lawn care" but that doesn't mean I don't care for the lawns. I don't spread chems either. But I sure wouldn't let what the other LCO's in your area say bother you. You are tending to the needs of the lawn just as much as they are...in fact more so. You do it on a weekly basis, they do it on a 45 day (or so) basis. Lawn care to me is multi faceted, cutting, fert, weed control, aeration, de-thatching, trimming, edging, etc.

Keep doing what you're doing, and let them do what they do. Or tell them you may add chem treatments to your business and they'll have another competitor to deal with.

Buck

dog245
11-05-2004, 01:13 PM
Thanks A Bunch

The largest contributor to the blaspheme is a guy who I offered 6 lawns for applications. I use to do my own treatments but as my cutting customers increased I made the decision to recommend others for the treatments.
As I stated earlier that has turned into a total of 20 or more lawns for treatments. The one sole company that I use for treatments has now had to add another crew, partly because of my referrals.
I know that some are going to say that I am throwing away business. I do this part time and I do have another good paying career. I am a solo operation and I have thrown around the #'s for hiring an employee. But, that is for another forum.
I got into this because a truly do enjoy cutting and yes it is satisfying. I'm one of those instant gratification seekers.

Thanks Again

jerryrwm
11-05-2004, 01:44 PM
Tell them to sit on it and rotate. Who made them the sole judge of what a business name should reflect? Keep finding those operators that appreciate the added business that you send their way and keep using them. There are some that will welcome your referrals regardless of what it may be.

Some will always be jerks no matter what you do.

Branchland
11-05-2004, 08:04 PM
I have landscaping in my name but I also cut grass. Does this mean my name is wrong? No. Find somebody else to give the work to that isn't so anal about a name.