PDA

View Full Version : Increase mowing height in summer months?

eggy
05-25-2000, 06:37 PM
Just wondering if it is recommened to increase the height of the cut during the dry summer months from 3 inches to maybe 3.5 in order to retain mosture in the grass blade, and keeping lawns greener during dry times any help is apperciated.

Toroguy
05-25-2000, 06:53 PM
eggy,<br>During hot/dry spells I still mow at 3&quot;. One customer wants it at 3.5&quot; year round...never turns anything but green. Take a look at some homeowners who mow at 2&quot; their yards are browm already, with lumps of cut dead grass.<p>Your on the right track...

Grassroots
05-25-2000, 08:39 PM
We mow most of our turf at 4&quot; in the summer but we are in central Florida and the sun in rough on the grass if any shorter.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>Grass Roots Lawn Care (Fla)

lawrence stone
05-25-2000, 09:34 PM
If find northern turf to be a little shaggy at 3 1/2. I start at 2&quot; in late march then<br>now I am at 3&quot; already becase of the rain and<br>rapid growth.<p>&quot;I am only happy when it rains&quot;<br>

slingshot
05-25-2000, 10:45 PM
STONE it finaly stoped raining stone busy weekend coming quick will you have all your accounts done for the holiday we got alot done today if everything goes good tomorrow like it did today we will have them all done by sat

yardsmith
05-26-2000, 01:26 AM
most of my customers are at 3&quot; due to grass type & other factors, & yes we cut a tad higher in mid summer for obvious reasons-green-ness, & reasons you all never tell your customer (job security :) )<p>----------<br>Smitty ô¿ô<br>

Acute Cut
05-26-2000, 03:45 AM
As i understand it (NOT saying that i am right) but YES cut higher in the summer. The extra grass height will help the lawn. The extra height of grass adds to shad for the lawn. It keeps the roots cooler, and thus keeps em greener. Most of my lawns are green year around. I attribute it to this reason. I am NOT saying that i am the law and am right. I would suggest consulting a lawn &quot;geek&quot; for a technical answer. (I say geek as a knowlegable good way) My geek of 25+ years says as i have stated. In the short version of course. His answer was 25 minutes long. Old guys talking lawns can take a while. LOL<br>GOod luck and have a good one ya'll.

Keith
05-26-2000, 07:16 AM
We cut alot of our St. Augustine at 3 1/2&quot; in the early spring, then step up to 4&quot; in late spring and finally to 4 1/2&quot; towards mid-summer. But basically every lawn is different, and you know where it will look best.

thelawnguy
05-26-2000, 07:23 AM
I usually mow at 2.5, after the holiday weekend I will bump it up to 3 to help prolong the green thru the hot dry weather. Plus, after all the rain and cool temps, once the sun comes out the grass will grow like hell. Once it goes dormant and turns brown I can always get an extra cutting if need be by dropping back to 2.5<p>I will be done with my weekly mowing route by midday today. In an ideal week I would be done Thursday and have Friday for landscape projects. I will not start any big jobs today as I plan to have the long weekend off.<p>I hope everyone can get their workload done in time, so they can spend a day or two off this long weekend to remember those whose sacrifices have made, among other things, the ability to openly share info on this and other forums possible.<p>Happy Memorial Day