PDA

View Full Version : leaf clean up weather..

fga
11-06-2004, 09:19 PM
do you guys call it a day when you're trying to do a leaf clean up and the wind gusts are near 50mph??!! yesterday was like a circus. in every direction. we'd get the property cleaned enough to mow, and then th ewind would blow everything from across the street into our hands.... and then vice versa :dizzy: . the wind actually blew my rakes that where leaning onthe truck about 10 feet. i was going to call it a day, but i'm too backed up. it had to be funny to watch us though.. think i could add a wind surcharge?? :blob3:

Shuter
11-06-2004, 09:27 PM
You are suppose to blow the leaves into the woods. Then the wind blows them back after you leave the property. Then next week you charge the customer again for another clean-up.

fga
11-06-2004, 09:39 PM
You are suppose to blow the leaves into the woods. Then the wind blows them back after you leave the property. Then next week you charge the customer again for another clean-up.
woods? i've seen those on TV a couple of times... :)

Smithers
11-06-2004, 09:48 PM
Funny thing....last week in Detoit...the winds were gusting to 50 mph. I had a cleanup to do with my wife. It was our first cleanup ever and the first cleanup at the client's house. He knew very well that he would have to do another cleanup since there were still leaves on the trees.

So, after 4.5 hrs and 21 bags, we left. When i looked at the property while driving away, i saw that the grass was covered with leaves from his neighbors' yards.

The next day he said that we made a "Bad business decision" by doing the cleanup in the wind. He wanted a break on the next one since he paid us $125 for the 4.5 hrs at his yard and did not see much difference. :dizzy:

george

fga
11-06-2004, 09:53 PM
Funny thing....last week in Detoit...the winds were gusting to 50 mph. I had a cleanup to do with my wife. It was our first cleanup ever and the first cleanup at the client's house. He knew very well that he would have to do another cleanup since there were still leaves on the trees.

So, after 4.5 hrs and 21 bags, we left. When i looked at the property while driving away, i saw that the grass was covered with leaves from his neighbors' yards.

The next day he said that we made a "Bad business decision" by doing the cleanup in the wind. He wanted a break on the next one since he paid us $125 for the 4.5 hrs at his yard and did not see much difference. :dizzy:

georgesee, for us, we don't just do one clean up. we keep our mowing schedule (and prices), just add extra leaf clean up fees to the bill payup . so i'm pretty much covered there. i did my job, after i leave (and you) you shouldn't be responsible.

Smithers
11-06-2004, 09:56 PM
adam, i completely agree with you....My wife spoke to the guy (not a regular customer) for 45 min the next day.

She said, "what would happen if it was perfectly sunny and calm while we were doing it and 2 hrs after we left a wind storm blew everything in your yard....Would we still be responsible?" He still insisted that it was a "pood judgement" on our part.

george

Mo Green
11-06-2004, 10:52 PM
If he only paid you $125.00 for 2 people to clean up his yard, and you spent 4.5 hours doing it, he should consider himself lucky. That is a very low price. If it were me, and I work alone, I would carge him $45.00 per hour for the clean up. If I had help, it would be more like $60.00 per hour. Tell him to call around and see what the other companies in the area charge. Then maybe he will consider himself lucky.

You may want to reconsider your pricing.

tiedeman
11-06-2004, 10:54 PM
ya, once the winds gets up and going usually I will not go out and work (waste of my time) or I will just finish up the job that I am doing and call it a day

jt5019
11-06-2004, 11:00 PM
When it gets that windy(and its happend twice this past week) i just call it a day.Its not worth the effort and usually pis$es the customer off.

impactlandscaping
11-07-2004, 07:46 AM
We carry a 50' roll of plastic snow fencing to blow the leaves into on tight properties.We set it in a V pattern, whichever way the wind is going to blow them if really windy.The we suck em up with the trac vac.I had one the other day I quoted at $ 275.00 for on site disposal, figuring it would take 2 hours tops to do, since we could blow them into the woods over the back yard hill.The wind changed to blow at our backs ten minutes into the job, and made the job ten times easier and faster.It took only one hour and ten minutes to complete. Had it been blowing the other way all day, we would have left and came back, rather than fight the wind and lose money. Some days you don't have a choice in the matter,though. Gotta get it while the gettin's good!!

MOW ED
11-07-2004, 07:59 AM
If I can use the wind to my advantage I do. The other day that same wind was here and it come out of the northwest. The weatherman forcasted it and he was right. I planned to be at a property that would put the wind to my advantage. It was like I had 50 Billygoats working, I would kick some leaves up and they sailed into the woods down wind from me. The only thing was that I kept eatin exhaust until I learned to turn sideways and walk. The property looked great and the leaves are trapped in the woods now.

fga
11-07-2004, 09:08 AM
bill, good idea with the fencing.

mow ed, the problem we have on days like this, there was no set direction at all. it gusted every way. leaves out of the yatd. leaves in the yard. and in 2 minute intervals:dizzy: total circus.

lawnguyland
11-07-2004, 09:41 AM
I fought the wind and the wind won.

There are some days when it is pointless. Customers may get angry, neighbors do get angry. On super windy days I say F it. One good thing is that there should be a lot of leaves down by Monday so we'll be in good shape after next' week is done.

bobbygedd
11-07-2004, 09:47 AM
I fought the wind and the wind won.

There are some days when it is pointless. Customers may get angry, neighbors do get angry. On super windy days I say F it. One good thing is that there should be a lot of leaves down by Monday so we'll be in good shape after next' week is done.
yup, then the next round of arguments will begin, "i'm not paying for the whole cleanup, you finished up by nov. 10th, you don't expect me to pay this entire bill."

lawnguyland
11-07-2004, 10:08 AM
Exaclty bobby.

That's why I go every week, like FGA, to do leaves until Turkey day. Then one or two visits in Dec and all done. This way when they get the final bill all is clean and no bizatching.

It's gonna be pretty windy this week again and friggin cold in NYC metro area. First freeze should be here which is great cause lawns will stop growing.

fga
11-07-2004, 10:46 AM
It's gonna be pretty windy this week again and friggin cold in NYC metro area. First freeze should be here which is great cause lawns will stop growing.
oh man, lows around 32 degrees. i actually like that weather. hooded sweatshirt, and a warm vest, and a thermos of coffee. :) also, its too cold for anyone over 35 to come out and "chat" with me...

i hope we don't get the wind chills though... nothing helps with that. :help:

lawnguyland
11-07-2004, 11:48 AM
Yeah, go away chatters of the people variety and hello to chatters of the teeth.

upidstay
11-07-2004, 11:56 AM
We called it quits early on friday here in CT. After a while, there is simply no point to doing leaves. We had 50 mph gusts blowing from 3 different directions, so it was pretty pointless to try and work. If it were all going in one direction, it would have been different. Sent my guys home early, filled up,the gas cans, made sure the equipment was greased, and went home. If we had tried and worked through it, we wpould have accomplished little, and pissed our customers off by billing them for nothing.

fga
11-07-2004, 01:14 PM
We called it quits early on friday here in CT. After a while, there is simply no point to doing leaves. We had 50 mph gusts blowing from 3 different directions, so it was pretty pointless to try and work. If it were all going in one direction, it would have been different. Sent my guys home early, filled up,the gas cans, made sure the equipment was greased, and went home. If we had tried and worked through it, we wpould have accomplished little, and pissed our customers off by billing them for nothing.
thats the day it hit us. and weather speaking, you're not too far from us, so you got hit with the same front. blowing in every damn direction. i actually got in 9 hours though. how productive i don't know, but i got alot of the smaller ones done.

mtdman
11-07-2004, 06:20 PM
When it's windy, I won't do cleanups. I get far too frustrated. I nearly blew a gasket today with the winds.

Petrentz, I agree. You shouldn't have done the cleanup on such a windy day. I wouldn't have wanted to pay for it either.

Smithers
11-07-2004, 06:54 PM
mtdman.....i agree if it was going to be his last cleanup...but i simply took most of the leaves that i was going to fiind there the next time i went. he knew he had to do one more. he even told us that.

i dont do more cleanups on windy days.

george

Smithers
11-07-2004, 06:55 PM
correction....

I WON'T do more on windy days.

mtdman
11-07-2004, 06:59 PM
mtdman.....i agree if it was going to be his last cleanup...but i simply took most of the leaves that i was going to fiind there the next time i went. he knew he had to do one more. he even told us that.

i dont do more cleanups on windy days.

george

Right on. I wasn't trying to bust your balls about it, just offering advice.

Where exactly are you working around here?

Lux Lawn
11-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Last Saturday had 30-40 mph winds and we were way behind for the week with the bad weather as the day went on it picked up big time we pull up to the last 3 houses of the day and there is just nothing we can do because the wind is blowing away from the treelawns where we place the leaves.What makes it worse is the one lady has her house up for sale and likes it to look good for open houses on Sunday.

Smithers
11-07-2004, 07:18 PM
MTDman,

no problem. i have thick skin.

I am in Livonia, but just a part timer. I work at Ford during the day.

anyway, i try to stay in Canton, Farm. Hills, Canton, Plymouth, Northville and Novi area. I have gone as far away as Royal Oak for a sod/landscape job.

The fall cleanup job in question was in Southfield.

george

cantoo
11-07-2004, 08:19 PM
You should have charged him for the 45 minutes he spent talking to your wife on the phone. Another one of those hidden costs.

Smithers
11-07-2004, 09:02 PM
cantoo, the next estimate we sent him i included that day time minutes wasted. :cool2:

BTW, if he was any younger, i'd say he was hitting on my wife. here is a pic of her.

Smithers
11-07-2004, 09:07 PM
pic again..the first time it was too big.

GreenMonster
11-07-2004, 09:31 PM
yup, then the next round of arguments will begin, "i'm not paying for the whole cleanup, you finished up by nov. 10th, you don't expect me to pay this entire bill."

BG,

Isn't this where you chime in with the "excessive wind surcharge"?

:D

cantoo
11-07-2004, 09:36 PM
Hey, I know her, she lives in Livonia right? Not too far off the 696? Nice lawn out front?

Just kidding. I spent a couple of years working in Michigan. I delivered a couple of houses to the Southfied area. Inkster just under the 696 overpass. Also sent a few to the Farmington Hills area, in fact we pulled down a 10,000 pair phone line on one job.

bobbygedd
11-07-2004, 09:47 PM
actually, i try not to work on windy days, or rainy days, or days that end in the letter y

Smithers
11-07-2004, 10:27 PM
good one, cantoo...

it is off of 96, not 696. the highways here messed up.

:rolleyes:

george

RICHIE K
11-08-2004, 06:56 AM
WE PACK IT IN WHEN ITS REAL WINDY, AND THE CUSTOMERS THANK US.

RICHIE K

www.kulakandcompany.com :blob3: