PDA

View Full Version : Need a good Auger recommendation for Skid Steer

thepawnshop
11-07-2004, 12:23 AM
I need any and all recommendations regarding an auger for my skid steer. I see there are two types: Chain drive & planetary. Is one better than the other? Is there any particular brand that you all would recommend or stay away from?

The size holes I will be be drilling will be 6", 8" & 24" and possibly 36"

Thanks!

Randy Scott
11-08-2004, 09:36 PM
We have a McMillen planetary auger. Works very well. Should last longer and have more positive power transfer. We have a 36" bit for trees and it just buries itself no fuss no muss.

thepawnshop
11-09-2004, 12:12 AM
How much did that set you back, Randy? I am waiting for a price for the John Deere branded planetary now. I talked with my sales rep today and he said that he wouldn't sell me a chain drive...he said that whenever you hit a rock with a chain drive, you have a very good chance of the chain jumping of track.

Randy Scott
11-09-2004, 06:06 PM
Doug, our McMillen is a high flow unit. They make units that aren't high flow as well. So if your machine isn't going to have high flow, make sure you are getting the right tool. Our unit also requires a return line to alleviate back pressure.

Anyways, our unit is the RX4450. It was $3700.00. We demoed a Deere unit, and it wasn't quite as big as ours and wasn't a high flow unit either. So comparing wouldn't be fair, but the Deere unit was weak. My salesman did a lot of research for me and I even talked with the guys at McMillen and they were very helpful and proud of their product. Our unit is awesome. The overall construction of our piece to the one that's made for Deere is night and day. I don't know who makes the unit for Deere. I'm sure they don't make it themselves. Everything Deere sells for attachments is made mostly by other companies, just re-labeled for them.

I have information I could fax to you to look at if you would like. Their website is www.attachment.com Check it out.

thepawnshop
11-11-2004, 07:55 PM
I have information I could fax to you to look at if you would like. Their website is www.attachment.com Check it out.

Randy, can I buy direct from these guys? My fax number is 540-777-1005 if you have time to fax me the info.

Thanks!

thepawnshop
11-13-2004, 12:07 AM
Randy, I don't have High Flow, but I went with the McMillan as well...I bought the X1975 model. Thanks!

Randy Scott
11-13-2004, 11:55 AM
Good deal man. I really think their product is well made. You should be happy with it, I know we are.