PDA

View Full Version : Getting burned out

Grasshopper
05-26-2000, 12:53 AM
I'm sure most all of you have had this happen. What do you do to re-assure yourself that this is the right job for you. I'm am starting to get burned out and have been tempted to quit and get a regular job. Any comments?

Acute Cut
05-26-2000, 01:30 AM
A regular job? you mean one of them &quot;sit behind the desk and dream about being outdoors&quot; kinda jobs?<br>Or are you looking for a constant customer barage like in sales with a deadline and jerk of a boss hanging over your head kinda jobs? Ive had all sorts. Stick with it. If it ever gets ya down out there jsut laugh it off and tell yourself that &quot;I love my job&quot; and think of the alternitives. Maybe just test the waters at a &quot;real Job&quot; part time to see what you think. I know ill stay where i am because &quot;I LOVE MY JOB!&quot;

Barkleymut
05-26-2000, 05:22 AM
I assume you worked for someone else at some point in your life. Then you moved on to own your own company. Why would you revert? We all question our moves sometimes, its hard not to when you work 60 hour weeks. But in the end I think its worth it. Just push on through and you will make it. Remember the summer droughts (and less work) are right around the corner! Unless your Charles or Homer and already have them.

HOMER
05-26-2000, 06:30 AM
The only thing I question is why I was born so darn good lookin' instead of rich. <p>Seriously, if you need reassurance go take a survey down at the local factory, watch the faces of those guys/gals coming out and make sure you ride by with all your equipment. Then look at their faces again and you'll see that jealous look on their faces wishing they had the balls and opportunity to get away from the jobs they have. It's human nature, we are a society that can't be content with what we have and where we're at in life. I'm sure everyone has been burned out at one time or another. A couple months ago I was so ready for it to warm up, now I'm ready for it to cool off, of course if it were green and pretty down here in the heat/drought/death belt I might be a little more forgiving of the heat, so far all it has done is kill the crops and the grass! But I have high hopes that the weather will return to its normal pattern one day and I can cut that tall thick bahai and life will be good, I'lll be behind of course and working even longer hours to stay caught up but hey, life will be good. Soon it will be winter again where I can start to complain about how cold it is and get depressed that everything is brown! <p>The real reason I don't get too down is because I can stop in the middle of the day if I choose to and take a nap, or rent a movie that I haven't seen, or get on the forum and listen to Charles ***** about the drought or play a video game with my son, all the things I couldn't do before without asking, wait, begging for a little time off, or planning a year in advance for a weeks vacation. There are pro's and con's to everything in life, freedom to do as you please when you want to is a big pro for me! I was imprisoned in an environment that didn't allow me freedom of expression without someone saying I had a bad attitude or I was difficult. Come review time the raises were a joke, I can now pick up a residential lawn and automatically give myself at least a $1000.00 a year raise......everytime I get one. The older population will say &quot;we're on a fixed income&quot; what do you think I was on when I had to wait for that paycheck every 2 weeks? A fixed income! Problem is it wouldn't last 2 weeks till the next one, strapped all the time and couldn't see my way out. I ain't rich by no means but I ain't waiting for &quot;da man&quot; to hand me my &quot;wages&quot; and say that my vacation was denied because we really need you on that day!!!!!!! <p>Think about your past, analyze your present, contemplate your future. Your gonna live til you die, make the most of it while your standing!<p>Sorry to ramble,<p>Homer

Bobby
05-26-2000, 06:54 AM
Preach it Homer! Thank's for reminding <br>me.<p>----------<br>Bobby <br>Ft Lauderdale

Nilsson Associates
05-26-2000, 07:28 AM
take a vacation<p>A-1 auto response systems

southside
05-26-2000, 09:30 AM
Take a short break,it works for me.Even a day<br>or 2 works wonders.<br>A1 auto response systems? What is that ****?<p>Karl<br>

Nilsson Associates
05-26-2000, 09:39 AM
take a vacation<br>take a break<br>auto response systems answering post<p>A-1 auto response systems<br>

TURF Editor
05-26-2000, 10:46 AM
Grasshopper -<br>My remedy for burn-out would be to take on a new challenge<p>Add to your knowledge base while adding to the services you provide your clients.Are you strictly a cutter? Come up with a cutting/aeration/fertilizing package deal to sell to you existing client base. Are you a certified sprayer? If not, why not? Do you do new lawn installations -- seed, sprig, sod and hydro? If not, go learn about it and add it to your available services. Learning something new is a good way to get over a burn-out hump.<p>Another thing to think of, if you are not already, is to get involved in your local or regional organizations. Most states and regions have severtal green industry organizations you can join, and many offer great eduicational opportunities, too. Other, non-green industry related organizations like the Kiwanis, Lions Club, or local business organizations not only help the community, but allow you to show our industry in a professional manner while making valuable contacts for your business.<p>Instead of countering burn-out by backing off, get MORE involved. It will benefit you, AND your bottom line.<p>David G. Cassidy<br>Editor<br>TURF Magazine

Nilsson Associates
05-26-2000, 12:21 PM
Thanks Dave for responding to that other post, I appreciate it.<p>Remedy for burnout .. hows this ...<p>For you guys getting burnout from posting here laboriously .. have you ever thought that you should approach Chuck and actually own a piece of this site? You're doing a lot of work here right? When the site gets bigger, and advertisers support it, what have you gotten from it, aside from things.<p>Why not approach Chuck with the idea of joint ownership of this site. You do a lot of work here, share in the wealth of the site you are helping to create?<p>If you ever wondered what consultants do ... now you know ... I get paid for coming up with ideas. Some of them are worth a king's ransom.<p>Phil Nilsson

Administrator
05-26-2000, 01:22 PM
I have a list of those who will reap the rewards when I become rich from LawnSite.com :) ( ha, ha)<br> <br>Until then if some of you want to help pay the $250 a month co-hosting fee, the $65 an hour programming fees, and spend all your days on LawnSite.com feel free and I will gladly write your name down also.<p>Until then I am in the whole a lot of money so unless you want to sell your new 72&quot; DC and shiny eXmark Lazer Z and hand over the money I would suggest that you enjoy LawnSite.com for its value to the industry and do it for the same reason I started this forum.<p>Chuck

Nilsson Associates
05-26-2000, 02:22 PM
Chuck,<br>I can't promise you the world but if you would like me to try to locate investors to help ... let me know. Not trying to find people to &quot;horn in&quot; on your thing, but you never know, people may be interested and I can help put a deal together ... and see what happens.<p>Phil Nilsson

Charles
05-26-2000, 04:28 PM
Speaking of the drought... hehe. nah not this time. I did a post like this awhile back. About how i went through a burnout period around 4 years ago. Couldn't even stand the smell of cut grass. Started a parttime trucking business. After I did that for 3 years and found out how much it sucked. I started to appreciate the lawn business more. But if a better opportunity to own another type of more profitable and less labor intensive business. I would jump on it in a minute. Burnouts can be physcological in nature and it takes either counselling or a change or something else to snap people out of it. It may be caused by depression and you may not realize you are depressed. Stress from different varibles can cause an imbalance in your seretonin in your brain leading to depression. Leading to burnout symtoms. It happen to alot of people at one time or another in their lives. Go to your family doctor and see if it is physically related. If not it may be time for a change. I tell you if this damn weather don't change....that was for Homer

lawrence stone
05-26-2000, 04:58 PM
dave wrote:<p>&gt;Most states and regions have severtal green industry organizations you can join<p>Thanks for your great mag Dave. With the<br>info provided in your latest issue I have<br>made a membership application to the<br>Sports Turf Managers Association.<p>I plan to attend the Keystone chapter's annual field day this summer.<p>Thanks again for a great informative mag.

little green guy
05-27-2000, 12:07 AM
thank u for that insiteful post dr.chales. Are you studying to be a shink at night when your not cutting grass????

Toroguy
05-27-2000, 01:03 AM
Phil,<br>We are all getting paid here...I give information...in exchange for information. What is the price on that?<p>I still see a need for consultants such as yourself, but the solo guys are to independent-stubborn-cheap to pay for advice. <br>I have a question for the A-1 auto response system...Explain Maxwell's last theorom...<p>Thanks

Nilsson Associates
05-27-2000, 09:26 AM
acquiring information this way is cost prohibitive.<p>A-1

Mowman
05-27-2000, 10:27 AM
Grasshopper,just hang in there. I work a regular job and do lawn care. Believe me I'm much happier behind my Toro than driving around on a fork-truck all nite having 20 whine asses wanting something moved around. When I get burned out from the factory I line up jobs that will take a couple days and I blow out of the factory. Much happier working for myself. Can't wait till my lawn service replaces the factory pay so I can tell them where they can SHOVE their factory. Hang in there and take a day off,and do something else. GO FISHING!!! Hope this helps you decide to stay in the business and do your own thing. Make yourself rich not someone else.Good Luck Mowman

dhicks
05-27-2000, 03:18 PM
I have worked indoors for almost 30 years and next year I will retire and go full-time with my mowing business. While my career was great, I have always envied those who worked for themselves, especially, those who work outdoors. You have no idea how many days I wanted to trade my security and job and head out on my own. My father would always say that an extension of freedom is being your own boss. <p>I believe those of us who have worked for a company and had a little whistle dick for a boss have an easier transition to start our own business as opposed to being our own boss and then start working for some corporation. <p>Itís normal to feel burned out as I have for many years. But, in your case, you need to see the big picture and weigh the variables of working for yourself vs. some corporation. <p>I think that once you see the big picture, you will know deep in your heart that working for yourself is freedom and it sure beats the alternative. <p>--David<br><p>----------<br>--Disneyland on the Potomac<br>www.go-emerald.com

Lloyds64
05-27-2000, 03:21 PM
Grasshooper just have a couple of ice cold beers every day after work .<p>----------<br>bill lloyd<br>

accuratelawn
05-27-2000, 05:30 PM
Bye Phil.

Nilsson Associates
05-27-2000, 05:57 PM
Grasshopper, if you become complacent, lose interest, become stagnant growth wise, why stay in it? And are you of the opinion that you are underutilized in your own business?<br>If you are, it may be telling you something.<p>Phil Nilsson<p>

MOW ED
05-27-2000, 06:07 PM
You should be honored you just got about $1.99 in advice from an expert in our field for FREE.

Nilsson Associates
05-27-2000, 06:54 PM
Somebody said bye Phil above, might be talking about me, not sure but anyway...<p>I was asked to post at this site more often as a favor ... so that's what I'm doing. I'll answer posts when I have time not just for the benefit of those who post, but those who don't. What's in it for me? Marketing, pure and simple. A little time consuming but effective. I'll answer posts when I can for all the decent folks around here. The others need not apply. I get the impression<br>some of you feel you own this &quot;bar&quot;, well I look at it as if it were a &quot;blackboard jungle&quot; want to &quot;snicker in class&quot; go ahead, I'm not here for you, I'm here for the others.<p>Thanks,<br>Phil Nilsson<p>

curlawngreen
05-27-2000, 07:51 PM
Thanks Mr. Nilsson for all of your advice, it seems to me these may be your last posts. I would rather listen to someone hwo has done that been there than someone who is doing that knows it all. Hindsite is 20/20. While were doing it sometimes confusing.

HOMER
05-28-2000, 12:31 AM
Far be it from me to give any advice but I have a feeling that some of you might be struggling a little because you have this need to &quot;lash out&quot; at others! If you use this attitude towards your business and customers when they offer constructive criticism then it's no wonder things look bleak.................take a break from the bashing...............if you don't like it ignore it. Move on to more productive things.<p>Just my cheap thoughts, <p>Homer

Nilsson Associates
05-28-2000, 06:52 AM
curlawngreen,<p>Everybody has some good advice to offer and sometimes bad advice due to maybe a narrow view. I could capitalize on your post by making a big list of qualifications here. Some people detect an attitude in me, maybe a know it all attitude. I spent 15 years in the bizz, followed by another 12 years of day to day combat in the green industry consulting bizz. Books, consulting, seminars, selling businesses. I originally came from an accounting background, so when you add all that up, I bring a whole lot of experience to the table. <p>Pushing my services on folks here?<br>Consulting is effective but costs money. All it is .. is advice from experience .. what works, what doesn't. That info you can get right here, from a book, from a seminar, or even at the library. The folks that need consulting help the most, can least afford it. So they take in a seminar, books, and come to forums like this one. Forums fill in the gap, but require that you do your homework, put in the time to read & think.<p>Attitude? after having written over 39 books, made contacts all over the place,<br>turned business solutions &quot;every which way but loose&quot; you do get a swelled head, it's true. Sometimes you lose patience for dumb questions. <p>The underlying reason (ask Bill Phagan if you don't believe me) that people post answers here is that they get satisfaction out of helping other folks. Hell, we don't do it for the money ... otherwise consultants would all be rich, and they're not. Make a living at it? Sure. You get back what you put in. You don't survive as a consultant if you don't sell good information and solutions, can effectively &quot;deliver&quot; a seminar before an audience of 300 or more, and have contacts nationwide.<p>And to be honest with you, writing business &quot;pieces&quot; can be dull rhetoric, so every once in a while I like to rattle cages, get a few laughs, get a rise out of the trouble makers, make em think hard to come up with rebuttals ... make em work hard trying to outsmart me. Course, you can't spend too much time at it. <p>I come to this forum to debate things. Some of the posts are nauseous, sickening at times .. but I've made a lot of contacts here. Eventually the board will probably get &quot;cleaned up&quot;. Go nowhere ideas usually wear themselves out. Go nowhere people fizzle out too, exhausting themselves on twisted words and deeds. <p>The truth of the matter if you really want the straight talk ... is that some folks will not &quot;make it&quot; in business if they don't get help ... whether they can afford it or not so that's why I'm here. Simple as that. Along the way, I manage to make a living at it. But I have to tell you that doing these forums ... you stick your neck out. How many other consultants do you see at this forum posting like I do? I've only been posting for about a year, and I have never seen one post by the others. Bill Phagan? Where is he? Vanderkooi? Where is he? The others? Where are they? Is it that they could care less, wouldn't be bothered doing the charity work? Who knows, maybe they'll tell us?<p>FYI ...<p>A-1 is a real person who helps me post<p>A-1 auto response systems is a &quot;computer&quot; that makes posts based on a data base of key word recognition. Like &quot;Jeeves&quot; I think it's the future of posting remedies to reduce response times, and help market, the services of those bothering to make posts to begin with.<p>Phil Nilsson posts are signed with my name<p>Phil Nilsson<p><p><p><br>

Bobby
05-28-2000, 09:01 AM
Mr Nillson. You said if your stagnant, get out. Like Charles said, If somthing came along,I'd bail in a hurry. Problem is,I've been cutting so long (20 years) that I havent developed any skills that would allow me to compete in the marketplace and make comparable money. Not complaning, just kinda stuck.<p>----------<br>Bobby <br>Ft Lauderdale

Charles
05-28-2000, 09:21 AM
I like debating subjects. Nothing personal about it. Just fun to debate Phil or anyone else. I don't know everything and don't claim too. I don't mind being proved wrong either. And most of the time i will admit when i am wrong lol

Nilsson Associates
05-28-2000, 09:38 AM
Like they said, you can have a lot of fun here .. blow off some steam .. not take stuff too serious .. <p>Bobby, <br>well, not necessarily get out .. but think ahead a little .. main thing I guess is first .. do you like this kind of work? .. like working for yourself? (yes) .. like working outdoors, have freedom, fresh air? .. if all answers are yes, then stay with it .. freedom is everything .. &quot;doin your own thing&quot; is where it's at .. at least for me. I used to work for a NYSE Corporation, listed on the stock exchange. After college, accounting career which paid extremely well .. but still that &quot;freedom thing&quot; comes along .. so a resourceful person can always make it on his own. Eventually though you'll want to make good money ... that's a requirement for me because I want the &quot;finer things&quot; for my family. <p>Advice? take a break, sit down, relax, conjure up exactly how in &quot;hell&quot; you can make that $75,000 to $100,000 plus if that's what you want ... and if you're willing to sacrifice what it takes to get there. It can be done ... it's a long road .. but at least you can see the road. Working for somebody else, well, they put you on their road, not always the same road you want. Hard to be excited making somebody elses dreams come true. No offense, but was anybody born to the world to be a (fill in a job field in this space that you think is a waste of your life).<p>Okay, we know it won't be easy, but it can be done .. and you may not want to hear this but to be real successful at anything you have to do what people don't like to do. Earl Nightingale said that.<p>Phil Nilsson

Charles
05-28-2000, 10:08 AM
There are alot of stress factor you have to deal with in running your own business: too much work, too little work, weather(yesterday it was 92 deg and 70% humidity by 11 am), maintaining your equipment, finding time to maintain your household is especially hard if you are single, The temptation to overwork. I consider over working at more than 50hrs a week. Stress can lead to heart disease, diabetes, depression, anxiety(inflated feeling of doom and unrealistic view of your problems). You may not even realise you are having stress related problems. Working so close with the public can cause great stress. Try to maintain a balance. Stability is very important. Be consistant with your time off. Tmely vacations like the one Homer is taking even if it is a short one. Stress can lead to burnout and other health problems not mentioned above. But like i said before if it is not physical or mental this business may just not be for you and getting in deeper may make things worse.<br>Charles&lt;~~not a real doctor just plays one. Take his advise at your own risk lol

lawrence stone
05-28-2000, 10:27 AM
charles wrote:<p>&gt;Stress can lead to burnout and other health problems not mentioned above. <p>Try http://www.moments-notice.com/

Nilsson Associates
05-28-2000, 10:29 AM
Charles,<br>what you said reminded me .. I used to work for a Divisional Manager who had a genius IQ and a photograhic memory who told me .. if you can get 100 on your test paper but it kills you to do it, aren't you better off with getting a 90 saving a little time to live in between?<p>Phil Nilsson