PDA

View Full Version : Door Hanger Etiquette

eruuska
11-07-2004, 07:03 PM
When one is putting out door hangers, is it considered bad form to walk across someone's lawn to get to the next house? Is one expected to walk only on driveways and sidewalks? I'd hate to commit a door hanger faux pas. I don't think I could ever live it down.

Thanks,
Eric

EliteImpressions
11-07-2004, 08:49 PM
Personally, Im anal retentive about my lawn. If I saw you walking on my lawn to advertise I would immediately throw out anything you put on my door. Or I would be saying something to you as you were walking on my lawn. But other people might not mind. I wouldnt take the chance though.

eruuska
11-07-2004, 09:23 PM
Thanks Elite, that's pretty much what I figured. I mean, shouldn't a person not walk across another's lawn if he's advertising LAWN CARE services? But the question occurred to me while lying awake in bed and I had to ask.

Have fun,
Eric

Lawnchoice
11-07-2004, 09:33 PM
That's what driveways and walkways are there for.

I hate to see people at the commercial properties I maintain walking across the lawn, through the mulch beds, etc.

I am anal about this too!

HOOLIE
11-07-2004, 10:10 PM
This question shows you why so many of us just stick flyers on mailboxes. I agree it might look bad to cut thru everyones lawn, but to walk around down and up each driveway takes a lot of time. Of course if you got the time, that's up to you.

Lawnchoice
11-07-2004, 10:14 PM
I agree with the mailbox idea. We put out around 1000 this year.

Get some tacks and some clear plastic bags and head out. Make sure you don't touch the box itself with any part of your flyer though! You might get a call that you don't want to get.

Good luck

Team Gopher
11-08-2004, 11:24 PM
Hi eruuska,

When do you plan to distribute them? During the week or weekend when more people are home? I haven't seen a discussion on which time is best.

HOOLIE
11-09-2004, 12:46 AM
Gopher,

Just from my experience I don't see any correlation between days of the week and calls. What I have noticed is a huge difference in calls based on the weather. Say its 78 degrees in early April, nice balmy breeze, a few puffy clouds. Put out some flyers and you'll get a lot of calls. The next day, maybe its 55 degrees and cloudy. You won't get nearly as many calls, even though the grass still needs to be cut.

grasskutter71
11-09-2004, 10:41 PM
I dont mean to be rude but I would'nt put business cards or flyers in or on a mailbox. The post office is not very fond of that. I had a boss do that 14 years ago and they nailed her for it. You go to the store and buy a mailbox and stick it in the ground and then it belongs to them.

gogetter
11-09-2004, 11:35 PM
I usually use the sidewalks and driveways but it really does take a lot longer (even though our lawns are small).

But I watch the mailman walking right across the lawns while I'm mowing, and I've had people walk across my lawn to hang something on my door and it didn't matter to me.

But some people are funny about that. So I guess it's personal preference. Figure you may tick off a few people if you do walk across the lawns, BUUUUT, you'll get more door hangers out in a shorter period of time. So in the end, it probably evens itself out.

YardPro
11-12-2004, 08:56 PM
I agree with the mailbox idea. We put out around 1000 this year.

Get some tacks and some clear plastic bags and head out. Make sure you don't touch the box itself with any part of your flyer though! You might get a call that you don't want to get.

Good luck

that's illegal

thay could fine you postage on each one, plus a fine.

a company here was busted not to long ago doing that

precisioncut
11-12-2004, 10:17 PM
I won't walk on someones yard. Make you look like you don't care. Take the extra time to stay on walks and such.