PDA

View Full Version : PLEASE help with advice on Equipment for startup

tejas241
11-08-2004, 01:37 PM
Hello all, and thanks for taking your time to help!!!
I am a newbie and need some advice: I am semi-retired from offshore construction(commercial diver) and have been in an office for a couple years. Everyday the walls close in about 3", and i am miserable, I like to work outside with my hands. I have been envying you guys and have decided to take the plunge...
Went down to my Lexmark dealer who is also Kubota to price ZTRs and am now confused ! His question was whether i intended on doing lawncare OR landscaping , where I thought most LANDSCAPERS did both or at least were somewhat one and the same.
I can only afford one major piece of equipment. His opinion/advice seemed to be that if I wanted to do lawncare only, then he would get a ZTR. But if I wanted to offer the broader spectrum of actual landscape services then he would go with a Kubota 7800 compact utility tractor, cutting deck, and a couple implements. Then use my JD riding mower on small lawns.

As experienced professionals what do you guys think? Have any of you made that decision? With that kind of money I cannot afford a mistake! :dizzy:

TClawn
11-08-2004, 02:05 PM
unless your name is well known in the city your starting in I would NOT start up a pure landscaping business as my sole income. their just wouldn't be enough work (and $$$) to start out with and still pay your bills.

the lawncare business, I think, would be the best way for you to start out mainly because work is easier to find than landscaping and the income is more regular.
now I'm not saying that you shouldn't get in to the landscaping business, it just that it will be harder than if you got your name established in lawncare first.

that said, I would buy the kubota 7800. it leaves you room to expand into the landscaping business without having to buy another big piece of equipment.

just a couple words on advertising, make your flyers colorfull and interesting. If you get the kubota make sure that you advertise for both lawncare and landscaping.

don't start out the flyer with a list of services, start it out like, spending too much time on yard work? or maybe not enough? you need so and so's lawn care then, continue with a list of services. in other words grab their attention by asking a question right off, otherwise they'll just take a quick look at it and toss it in the trash.

Travis Followell
11-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Your best bet would be to start out in just lawn care and get a ztr. You wouldn't believe how much easier they are on you. You will not get near as tired as fast as you would on a garden tractor. All that turning and backing up to get up close to things will take a big toll on you by the end of the day. Both the Exmark and Kubota are good mowers so you couldn't go wrong buying either one.

tejas241
11-12-2004, 06:25 PM
I also have a LESCO dealer near me, called and was quoted $5800 for the Z-TWO 60" 25HP KAW. Had not heard of them before, how do they stack up to say hustler and exmark??? Quality of build and longevity????????????