PDA

View Full Version : zone runs when other zone runs

ashs inc
11-08-2004, 06:18 PM
Hey guys thanks in advance. I have a system I installed and for some reason when zone 5 comes on zone 9 comes on. I dont understand. I know the wires are not mixed up. I dont know why this is happening. please help to remedy this.

ASHS INC
IRRIGATION LANDSCAPING MAINTENANCE

activelandscaping
11-08-2004, 06:46 PM
Hey guys thanks in advance. I have a system I installed and for some reason when zone 5 comes on zone 9 comes on. I don't understand. I know the wires are not mixed up. I don't know why this is happening. please help to remedy this.

couple possibilities. Maybe a bad timer or a pinched wire. Take one wire, of the two that are on together, off in the box. Then start the zone that is still connected and test the wire you unhooked. If it's hot then the wire is pinched somewhere. If it doesn't come on then check the timer.

Hope this helps,
Active

Fatheroftwo
11-08-2004, 07:47 PM
Check to see if the wires are bare somewhere along the line and that they are touching. May try a meter to see how many volts the controller is putting out on each zone also (should be @24-26). The controller may be surging and causing a Weak valve to open. Just food for thought.

williamslawn
11-08-2004, 08:10 PM
Make sure valve does not have trash in it.

Instant Rain
11-08-2004, 10:35 PM
It might be current leakage. If there is a bad connection or nick on zone 5 and also a nick or bad connection on zone 9, the current may leak across the earth and cause the other valve to turn on. This usually only happens when a valve has just ended its watering as the next valve is starting. Attaching a wire in conjunction with the common at the terminal and attaching the other end to a ground rod will solve this

Planter
11-09-2004, 01:08 AM
Check out the Rainbird technical bulletins at the following site:

http://www.rainbird.com/landscape/technical/newsletters.htm

The top two will possibly help you troubleshoot the problem:
Pinpointing Ground Faults (PDF: 152 KB)
Field Wiring and Valves (PDF: 1,746 KB)

With an Ohm meter you can determine what is happening.

TClawn
11-09-2004, 06:33 PM
when zone 9 comes on does zone 5 come on too?

you could try disconecting zone 9 from the timer and see if it still comes on. then reconnect zone 9 and disconnect zone 5 and see if it still happens. that way you'll know if it's a hydraulic problem or electrical. if it's electrical I would not want to be you, especially if the system is still under warranty.

Critical Care
11-09-2004, 09:54 PM
Lets see if we have this correct. Are you saying that both zones are coming on when zone 5 is activated at the controller? Or when you turn on zone 5, only zone 9 comes on, and vice versa zone 5 comes on when 9 is activated? Sounds confusing, but gotta get this straight.

TClawn
11-09-2004, 10:33 PM
I think only zone 9 comes on.

if thats the case then why doesn't he just put the zone 9 wire in to the zone 5 slot, and the zone 5 wire in to the zone 9 slot.

sheshovel
11-10-2004, 11:23 PM
You probably have timed both station 5 and 9 to come on at the same time,Or you have them timed on both A and B or C,or your wires are screwed up.

jerryrwm
11-11-2004, 12:33 AM
Hey guys thanks in advance. I have a system I installed and for some reason when zone 5 comes on zone 9 comes on. I dont understand. I know the wires are not mixed up. I dont know why this is happening. please help to remedy this.

ASHS INC
IRRIGATION LANDSCAPING MAINTENANCE

Ash,

We need a little more information.

How long ago did you put the system in, or is it brand new install?

What type of controller is being used?

If the system is older and has been working properly for some time, say a month or longer, what has changed? Has there been any type of construction such as new fence, new landscape, new deck, new walks or patio, new basketball goal?

Have you had any thunder and lightning storms in the area about the time the simptoms showed up? Possible electrical spike could have come in through the field wiring and goobered the circuitry on the board.

Something has changed and it is usually something that is caused by someone else working on the system if it is not electronically caused. Not that they are working on the irrigation system per se, but they may have cut the wires doing whatever they were doing, tried to splice them back as best they could, and now you gotta find the mess.

Let us know a little more information and I'm sure one of us irrigation geniuses will come up with the right answer, or at least one that sounds technically correct. :rolleyes:

Jerry

ashs inc
11-11-2004, 10:29 AM
I just installed this system about a month ago. There has been some landscaping done since. How ever it was operating correctly. I dont have them set to come on at same time checked that. It just comes on when zone 5 comes on. I was wondering if there is trash in the valve not letting it close all the way. Just my .02

activelandscaping
11-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Have you checked the timer and wire?

Active

jerryrwm
11-11-2004, 04:40 PM
I just installed this system about a month ago. There has been some landscaping done since. How ever it was operating correctly. I dont have them set to come on at same time checked that. It just comes on when zone 5 comes on. I was wondering if there is trash in the valve not letting it close all the way. Just my .02

Couple things if you are sure there was no damage done during the landscaping.

Take #9 wire off the controller terminal strip, move another zone wire, say #8 tp the #9 slot and activate zone #5. If it fires #5 and #8 zone, chances are that you have a defective controller. If #5 and #9 still come on then you have a problem in the field wiring.

Good place to check is at the bottom of the conduit going into the controller. What type of wiring did you use? Sharp edges of conduit really raise hell with the insulation on multistrand irrigation wire and on 18 ga single strand. Dig that area up and check the insulation. You may even need to pull the wire back out and look at it as it may have cut and been pulled up into the conduit and is making contact there.

We'll git 'r dun for you by and by.

Jerry

Critical Care
11-11-2004, 05:51 PM
You’re saying that when zone 9 comes on 5 comes on too. But when zone 9 is running on the controller, zone 5 doesn’t or does come on?

Do check things carefully, because pilot error is very common – especially when dealing with multiple programs.

Of course, if the two 24 volt wires of zone 5 and 9 were touching each other, both zones would likely activate whenever either zone was turned on.

Personally, if it were me, I’d start with the controller. With most controllers, it isn’t a real big chore to disconnect the wires from it. I would probably do this just to get the controller into a “clean slate” situation without all the crappola hooked up to it. You gotta find out if that controller has a problem. And so with a voltmeter (you do have one, I hope) with zone 5 running, you should measure 24 volts between its terminal and ground, and zone 9 should read zero volts. If zone 9 also reads 24 volts you better do something with the controller.

You have to start somewhere and the controller seems like a good choice in this case.