PDA

View Full Version : Business Lic.

PLM-1
11-08-2004, 08:10 PM
I am in a dilemma.

In my city it is not necessary to have a BL also i don't have to register my business name. My city says i can get a BL if i really want it but of course it is really expensive. Is it worth it to do any of those? Also, how do you get a tax ID so i can set up commercial accounts and buy things cheaper for my business?

Thanks as usual for the help!

specialtylc
11-08-2004, 08:22 PM
A UBI tax number is not going to get you any discounts on anything.

The LawnSmith
11-08-2004, 08:56 PM
Hey Joplin,

I live in Phenix City, Alabama (a couple miles from the Chattahoochee River which is the Georgia state line). I do a lot of work in Georgia, but before I can get a Georgia liscence, I have to have an Alabama license (since it is my home address). So I pay for two of them. In Columbus Georgia, they give you a sticker (dray tag) for the back window of your truck, and if you are caught mowing without it, youll get a hefty fine. There are no discounts associated with the license, unless you work something out based on buying a large quantity of parts/accessories from a local dealer. If I didn't have to buy a license...I wouldn't.

Mike

PLM-1
11-08-2004, 09:07 PM
For example to get a discount from Amsoil you must have a tax ID number on the application for a commercial account. That is the discount that i am talking about...sorry for the poor explanation

mbricker
11-08-2004, 10:25 PM
Here in NW Arkansas some suppliers will give you a discount if you have a state sales tax permit. Like for plants, etc. The catch is that no large outfit like Lowe's or WalMart is going to give you a discount, and the prices they sell for everyday are about the same as the prices from the nurseries after your discount. And the plants frequently come off the same trucks from the same growers. Discount retailers have changed everything.

Electra_Glide
11-09-2004, 07:34 AM
Joplin,

Information about obtaining a tax ID number can be found here:

http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=98350,00.html

Joe Kantz

PLM-1
11-09-2004, 10:35 AM
Electra,

That was exactly what i needed. Thanks a ton!