PDA

View Full Version : Stripe roller just fabricated

cleancutccl
11-09-2004, 09:37 PM
This is my new striper I'm also making one for my walk behind.

cleancutccl
11-09-2004, 09:38 PM
more pictures

gogetter
11-09-2004, 10:16 PM
Striping kit and striped look good.

Just a tip, when taking photos of your stripes, take them with the sun at your back. They will show up best from that angle. Give it a try.

Critical Care
11-09-2004, 10:17 PM
Looks pretty neat. I suppose that the unit floats up and down, but how much downward pressure do you have? It appears fairly lightweight.

Iíve been toying with a similar idea of using a single length of heavy pipe mounted on a couple of sealed bearings. Not too sure of how much weight is too much, or how much not enough. I tend to think that the downfall of the roller type of striper tends to be on uneven ground, as you can imagine. In this case, dragging chains could be better.

Eric 1
11-09-2004, 10:19 PM
Looks like Tanka truck wheels, what is it?

It does look vary professional though.

cleancutccl
11-10-2004, 12:06 AM
The wheels are solid rubber and each turns individually on its own bushing. That way when you turn it will not pull up sod, like a solid piece of pipe would. Also it may look lightweight but the unit weighs 50 pounds for a 60" roller. One thing you can't see is on the mounting brackets there is a quick release, just a single clevis pin for each side, that way if you pull up to a yard and don't want to mess with striping it just pull two pins and it is off the machine.

Eric 1
11-10-2004, 12:23 PM
Would you be willing to make me one.

If so, what would it cost for a 50'' one?

rookiemower
11-10-2004, 03:35 PM
isn't that a big league lawn striping kithttp://www.bigleaguelawns.com

rookiemower
11-10-2004, 03:36 PM
never mind it is very similar though :waving:

GreenMonster
11-10-2004, 03:42 PM
never mind it is very similar though :waving:

that's the first thing I thought of.

KathysLGC
11-10-2004, 03:54 PM
Looks like the big league roller but then again all chain kits look simular to each other also.

Where did you get the rubber wheels?

cleancutccl
11-10-2004, 04:20 PM
We got the wheels from a rubber molding company on the east coast, and no it is not a big league lawns roller. It is better on many instances, first the mounting arms are two pieces of square tubing with holes drilled every 1" so the whole kit is adjustable in dragging distance and very very rigid, you will not bend the mounting arms out of shape like you would a flat piece of metal. Second the kit has quick release clevis pins, the whole kit can mount and unmount in about 10 seconds. Third, it is CHEAPER. Fourth, the kit comes assembled except for putting on the mounting arms which takes tightening 4 bolts, no 15-30 dollar charge to get it assembled.

KathysLGC
11-11-2004, 11:27 AM
How much was your total in parts? Does the place you got the wheels from have a web site?

Critical Care
11-11-2004, 06:12 PM
Hmm... you mention that a single roller or length of pipe can dig up the turf. Has anyone had experience with this?

Anything pivoting in a fixed spot on turf can cause problems - as if we've never experience this. With multiple rollers, the outside rollers will turn faster than the inside rollers, and with a long single roller there is bound to be some slipping or sliding rather than rolling... but would that cause undue damage to the turf?

cleancutccl
11-11-2004, 07:55 PM
if the ground is wet or soft yes it would tear up the turf.

kalyeah
11-11-2004, 08:23 PM
Love the fact that it comes on and off easy.

cleancutccl
11-12-2004, 12:00 AM
We added bushings to the holes for the mounting pins, so even later in its life you don't have to worry about rust holding the pins in. Basically the only thing that should ever have to be replaced would be the rubber tires, and that would take a lot of hours to wear them out.

FERT-TEK
11-12-2004, 10:19 PM
I think you will enjoy your new roller and the pictures look great too. The wheels definitely look like the ones on my big league lawns striping roller, please let me know where you got those rollers from, part number etc.

Now, a couple of things to be careful of:
1) since the roller sticks out behind your unit be careful when working around objects that might catch it and the same goes for backing up.
2) because of the length of the mounting hardware it might bend when making sharp turns, there will be a lot of side to side pressure on the mounting hardware that might eventually cause it to fail. I installed mine according to the directions (they also sent pictures to help) and it still bent. Big League worked with me and we re-mounted it so it rides between my rear tires where it is protected and has shorter mounting hardware.
3) I don't think this will be a problem for you but possibly for someone else that makes one, if the unit is mounted under the motor watch for pinch points when loading your mower on your trailer if you have a steep angle of approach.

cleancutccl
11-12-2004, 11:12 PM
I won't have the problem of having the mounting arms fail because each arm is constructed of two pieces of STEEL square tubing, with drill holes spaced evenly along the length of the arm for shortening or lengthening of your drag length (to quickly fix any problems of pinch points just adjust the drag length, also makes it fit universally on ztr, wb, or stander mowers). The two pieces of square tubing slide inside each other so unless you break the roller in two hitting something the arms will not bend.

cleancutccl
11-14-2004, 11:53 PM
You do have to be aware of the roller dragging behind a ztr more than a wb. Mostly because you turn so sharp on a ztr. Most of the ideas that went into this roller were from the faults that I saw in the big league roller.

KathysLGC
11-16-2004, 11:10 AM
Clean cut are you going to be making these and selling them? I'm only asking because you didn't answer my question as to if there was a web site for the wheels. I'm interested in making one for my self but haven't found a site that sells wheels like that.

tiedeman
11-16-2004, 01:18 PM
that unit looks pretty nice

cleancutccl
11-16-2004, 03:34 PM
Yes I am trying to market them. We are in the process of dealing with a rubber molding company to make them directly for us. Once we get that deal through, I will be glad to tell you where we get them. I will tell you they are expensive. The tires alone are what is putting the price of these rollers so high.

Sorry moderators, I know I'm not supposed to advertise, but I was only answering a question posted by playboy.

VinnieC
11-16-2004, 03:44 PM
You can check out www.eastmarine.com
They are Yates rollers.

Vinnie

cleancutccl
11-16-2004, 04:07 PM
They are yates rollers but the actual company doesn't have a website. You have to get in touch with them over the phone, they only send products cod or you send them a check they have no way of handling credit cards. Yates rollers are the same thing big league uses too.

KathysLGC
11-16-2004, 05:45 PM
If you are going to market them I just want you to know i'm not trying to imitate your product but rather make one simular and I like the wheel idea rather then the long roller. I want it behind the drive wheels. if i was going to go in between the wheels i would go one long roller.

cleancutccl
11-16-2004, 08:39 PM
No problem, everyone starts with an idea and makes their own spin on it. To tell the truth I don't even know how to get ahold of yates to get the wheels, they don't have a website, my dad got ahold of him through some of his fabrication connections. The wheels themselves are actually meant to be used on boat trailers, but look where they are now.

darkshadow
11-16-2004, 09:41 PM
http://www.shootnhunt.com/catalog/JM/boat_trailer_accessories/c_h_yates/5806787.html

greendude
11-16-2004, 10:10 PM
Hey, is there any other way of getting the same affect of the stripe but just with different types of blades or something else. Also what is the best type of grass the stripes the best? Please help me out, thanks.

cleancutccl
11-16-2004, 11:04 PM
Darkshadow, the wheels we use have a bushing built into them. Greendude, you can use high lift blades is what I've heard but never tried them to know for sure. In Kansas I deal mainly with fescues, and they stripe great.

VinnieC
11-17-2004, 09:01 AM
Sorry guys it's www.easternmarine.com/em_store/rollers

Vinnie

KathysLGC
11-17-2004, 12:18 PM
So the rollers have bushings and no bearings?

cleancutccl
11-17-2004, 02:31 PM
The wheel bushing is a plastic insert, easily replaceable and very cheap to replace. A wheel with a bearing would be at least double the price. Tell the truth I don't know if they are out there.

greendude
11-18-2004, 06:58 PM
cleancutccl, I stripe fescues also but just can't always seem to make it appear that well. Do you know of anyweb sites where I can look at stripe rollers or any other alternatives to solve this problem. Thanx

cleancutccl
11-18-2004, 08:32 PM
Don't know of any websites, but all the pictures that I posted with the striper were fescue lawns. I've tried drag stripers and they don't work on thick blade grasses, rollers are the way to go because they have more down pressure, and as you can see, this one definitely works.

greendude
11-19-2004, 09:40 PM
yeh, I can see your point. Which of these types of rollers do you think would be better the rollers with downward pressure or the ones with weight in them that you pull. I'm thinking the one with downward pressure, but does this somewhat affect the turning radius?

cleancutccl
11-19-2004, 11:51 PM
When I was making my roller I thought about adding a spring for down pressure, then that would be one more thing that would probably wear out or not work right. Basically if you make it heavy enough it will stripe, I wouldn't worry about using a spring to hold you roller down. Also I don't like the "sand fill" rollers, where you have to put your own sand in them to add weight. I got one for my 21" from inventek.com and I can't pack enough sand into the thing to get it heavy. Also with the "fill" rollers you usually have to have one piece of tubing as a roller, which would cause problems while turning, have to do a y turn. The individual rollers can turn at different speeds, inside slow/outside fast, while turning. I sat in the middle of a lawn and did a true zero turn with no turf damage or problems with the roller itself.

greendude
11-20-2004, 11:00 PM
So I think what you are saying is to use several small rollers instead of one large one. This will allow for less turf damage and a better turning radius. I had a long roller picked out but I guess I will have to find small rollers and attach them together. I think I'm on the right track.

Critical Care
11-21-2004, 03:48 PM
It would be interesting to see a comparison in striping between something like what Cleancutccl has and then a single roller. And, especially, to see pics of where the turns are made in the turf. The use of multi rollers makes sense, but I'm not too sure that a single roller would necessarily tear up the turf because of having to slip around turns.

cleancutccl
11-21-2004, 04:48 PM
A lot of it depends on where it is mounted. Right behind the deck, either kit would work fine, but behind the rear tires, where you pivot the fastest and at the highest degree thats where more rollers makes sense.

Critical Care
11-22-2004, 12:28 AM
Hmm... rollers will pivot at the same speed equal distance whether in front or in back of the the pivoting point, but I can see that mounting anything too far away can create problems. Not only does it cause problems by physically getting in the way of things, taking up space, and so forth, but it would also slip in a wide sideways arc during turns. The further away from the pivot point, the more of a sideways slip will result. Unfortunately, it seems that with some mowers it's next to impossible to get a roller - or set of rollers - directly behind the drive wheels.

cleancutccl
11-22-2004, 03:01 AM
Actually, if you mean a grasshopper midmount, I can fit one onto those. I test fit one onto a friends machine. The only thing is that you basically mount it backwards, with the kit angled forward towards the wheels instead of back like the ztr in the pics on the first page.

ScottsLCS
11-22-2004, 08:09 AM
Where did you get the wheels for that? I looked online and around at various hardware stores and couldn't find them. And what size are they?

ScottsLCS
11-22-2004, 08:16 AM
Sorry, i just read the answer to my question! I'm new at this type of site - i will read all the pages next time.

Expert Lawns
11-22-2004, 05:26 PM
I'm glad my mower stripes well. I don't know the first thing about fabricating ANYTHING. I gotta hand it to you guys that know how to tinker. Beats paying hundres of $$ for a stripe kit

tiedeman
12-02-2004, 01:07 AM
I was thinking of making something this winter as well. I have time on my hands to come up with something

Critical Care
12-05-2004, 01:40 PM
I wonder about having a striping kit that can also serve as an aerator. Perhaps not a core aerator, but with spikes...

KathysLGC
12-06-2004, 04:43 PM
Wouldn't that just constantly compact the soil?

KathysLGC
12-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Under the Exmarks they have a thin rubber flap ( I like how exmark owners say they can stripe with no kit) I am thinking of making a bracket with a thicker peice of rubber to fit. The truck i have came with an anti skid rubber sheet that goes in the bed. It's sopposed to keep things from sliding around but I tie everything down so I don't really need it. I might also use an 8' section for my plow to keep the snow from hitting my windshield.

cleancutccl
12-06-2004, 05:56 PM
the roller isn't heavy enough to really compact the soil, not compared to a mower wb or ztr. I've tried the flaps, you constantly have to replace them because they wear out and don't apply enough force. The only time I can get somewhat decent stripes out of them is in the fall when the grass is starting to go dormant.

Lazer_Z
12-06-2004, 06:15 PM
Under the Exmarks they have a thin rubber flap ( I like how exmark owners say they can stripe with no kit) I am thinking of making a bracket with a thicker peice of rubber to fit. The truck i have came with an anti skid rubber sheet that goes in the bed. It's sopposed to keep things from sliding around but I tie everything down so I don't really need it. I might also use an 8' section for my plow to keep the snow from hitting my windshield.
Playboy do you mean like this? This is an '01 eXmark metro stock w/ a velkey X2 and of course my big ol' self LOL

KathysLGC
12-06-2004, 06:49 PM
I was refering to the spike aerator idea

KathysLGC
12-06-2004, 06:51 PM
Playboy do you mean like this? This is an '01 eXmark metro stock w/ a velkey X2 and of course my big ol' self LOL

Yeah like that. Does your mower have the flap under it?
My Ferris did a great job at striping with nothing on it. I made a chain kit for it and it's even better.

Critical Care
12-06-2004, 06:57 PM
This is a pic of the rubber flap on the back of my Honda 21". It seems to be a bit more heavy than the one on my Craftsman backup mower. The thing about flaps is that they can't be so stiff as if not to be able to flex forward and backward.

There might be a way where you could use a very heavy nonflexing flap, but that would require some kind of mount that would flex, or give enough to allow the flap to extend either forward or backwards. Right?

And, I'm still thinking about the roller idea with spikes. I'd think that the spikes would help break up the compaction created by heavy ZTRs, and at the same time do a decent striping job.

Lazer_Z
12-06-2004, 09:58 PM
Yeah like that. Does your mower have the flap under it?
My Ferris did a great job at striping with nothing on it. I made a chain kit for it and it's even better.
Yes it does. If you get a chance look under your TTHP it sits just in front of the wheels. I have to say even with out the velke it stripes ok but with the velke plus my 200+ self the stripes are like you see. I have been thinking of some type of roller for when I detach my velke but I dunno.

Have you done anything to your TT to make it stripe better?

KathysLGC
12-07-2004, 10:49 AM
Yes I've seen the flap under my deck thats why i said I like when guys say their Exmarks stripe with out a kit. The flap is basically a kit.

I might be putting my chain kit on the TTHP but i would much rather have a kit out of site so other local LCO's don't get any ideas. I've been thinking of a chain kit with a rubber end that will touch the grass. Sorta like a rubber flap suspended by chains with real thick chain on it for weight. This way it will move in any dirrection and if it's inbetween the wheels it can't go under the wheels.

Jbya
08-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Rookiemower - unfortunately I don't see your pictures available on my screen. I'd love to see your plans and pics. Can you send to:
jbya@comcast.net?

Many thanks.