PDA

View Full Version : Need Truck Recommendation

thepawnshop
11-09-2004, 11:30 PM
I know this subject has probably been beat to death, but I'm going to bring it up again. Here is my situation:

Last year I purchased a 2003 Silverado 1500HD LT Crew Cab 4x4. I love the truck and at the time of the purchase I was a partner in a construction business and I handled all of the "business" side...paperwork, books & bill-paying, so the 1500 was perfect. Since then, my partner (or I should say "former" partner) flaked out on me and we have since severed ties and I am now responsible for all aspects of the business and I am finding that the 1500 just can't cut it, but I am about 6k upside down and can't justify that loss. So that brings me to my question...

I am looking for a heavy duty 3/4 to 1 ton truck in the 10k price range to use for a "work truck". I need suggestions as to what truck in that price range will give me the best "bang for my buck". I will be towing a skid steer + attachments (approx 12 thousand pounds counting the trailer) and would prefer 4x4 so I can add a snow blade as well. I obviously want to stay away from trucks with known problems so if you can warn me away from them as well I would be incredibly grateful!

I had thought about eating the 6k and going more in the hole with one of the new Ford F350's but honestly that truck (as well as the one I am driving now) is too nice to tear up on the job site! Please, let me know your thoughts!

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Smalltimer1
11-10-2004, 12:06 AM
I am in the process of selling my '95 F-250. I currently am waiting to hear from the person who I promised first chance on it. But if it doesn't work out I'll let you know.

Here's it's info.

It is a 1995 F-250HD. It has a 460, automatic, 3.55 Lim-Slip (I would advise swapping to 4.10's for your pulling), Supercab Longbed 4x4. It has a little over 87,000 on-road only miles on it. The man that owned it before me used it as his business and personal truck for a masonry business, it had a 5th wheel in it, but he took it out when I bought it. It had 66,000 miles on it when I got it. It's been good to me over the past 3 years but now that I'm in college I need something that I can park here thats short enough that I don't have to worry about Mr. Honda flying around the parking lot and hitting my truck and running off. I have had it gone through by the local Ford dealer in September and so it is in tip top shape. If it doesn't sell I will get a list of what was done to it and send it to you upon your request. It is very clean, doesn't have any rust and only a couple small quarter-sized dents on the bed.

UNISCAPER
11-10-2004, 10:54 AM
For a long time I had that same thought. It used to make me sick when I would see a new ding or scratch ona new truck. Older trucks work just great, and I lile the charchter they add to the look of your fleet, however, I got sick of having my head under a hood all the time when that truck should be out working. I started calculating how much billable time that a broken truck cost our company. Now we have a new fleet and I will never go back. Sure, you get dings and dents, and, you have payments. Those are a cost of business, and like it or not, if you want to grow, if you want more free time, and if ytou want to build your company, there is nothing like just putting the key in the ignition and going to work. I save my dirty fingernails for the toys, when I choose to work on them.

thepawnshop
11-10-2004, 08:42 PM
For a long time I had that same thought. It used to make me sick when I would see a new ding or scratch ona new truck. Older trucks work just great, and I lile the charchter they add to the look of your fleet, however, I got sick of having my head under a hood all the time when that truck should be out working. I started calculating how much billable time that a broken truck cost our company. Now we have a new fleet and I will never go back. Sure, you get dings and dents, and, you have payments. Those are a cost of business, and like it or not, if you want to grow, if you want more free time, and if ytou want to build your company, there is nothing like just putting the key in the ignition and going to work. I save my dirty fingernails for the toys, when I choose to work on them.

That is very true and well spoken. It may be in my best interest to wait a bit longer and just get a brand new, but plain, work truck.

1brilord
11-11-2004, 06:41 PM
I am starting to expand my business and just purchased a 5X8 single axle trailer I plan on towing a exmark 36" two 21" lawnmowers, two trimmers an edger and a blower also gas cans. My question is I have a 1985 toyota truck with a 4 cylinder engine in it. I was thinking about buying a more powerful truck but I was wondering if my current truck could handle pulling a trailer with that sort of equipment in it? Also what are the prices on towing kits?

mag360
11-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Thepawnshop,
A pre 1994 Dodge cummins should fall within this price range and be pretty capable and reliable.

Texas Mower Parts
11-14-2004, 01:03 PM
Dodge w/ Cummins Diesel!