PDA

View Full Version : How about my age?

morningstar
11-11-2004, 03:33 PM
I have been a county agent for the past 13 years and was a vo-ag teacher 10 years before that. I've spent my career advising others what to do to have healthy lawns and landscapes and when I retire I plan to start my own lanw/landscape business. My question is: I will retire when I'm 57 - can I physically start this type of work? Are there any of you out there that are in this situation? I'm in good health, reasonably good shape (need to loose a few pounds) However , the county agent work is not exactly a heart pounding occupation.

PLM-1
11-11-2004, 03:47 PM
not sure how much this will help but my dad is 50 and helps me when i need it. He doesn't do it everyday. He is in pretty good shape rides his bike 35 miles a day. He works pretty hard when he helps me and he seems to handle it pretty well. IMO if you do it all the time it's easier and you know what to expect throughout the day. So i guess he doesn't really good......

Green-Pro
11-11-2004, 04:08 PM
Morningstar,

Hi, I will be forty next June, I plan to start up early next spring.

Question: Do I feel Forty? Nope not a bit.

I worked in a factory for fifteen years and now the past six in an office. I like to pheasant and deer hunt, do outdoors type work, and lift weights, my wife says I go at things like I'm killing snakes. I have always been active and probably always will, but enough about that.

How old do you feel? Joplin's Dad sounds like an active person, mine on the other hand just turned sixty-three and acts eighty-three(sorry Dad!!) Wise person it was that said you are only as old as you feel.
:waving:

G-P

lottlawncare
11-11-2004, 04:40 PM
Can you still get it up? If yes,,,then you are not too old. If no...then I'd advise against it. It's all in the hips...it's all..in...the...hips...

joeg2246
11-11-2004, 05:26 PM
Make sure you have top-notch equipment!! I don't think you would want to be walking behind a walk behind all day. Get a good ZTR mower and try to IF YOU CAN be a little more selective with your accounts. What I mean is again IF YOU CAN (not sure how much money you need to make) pick and chose your accounts so as to not spend to much time off the mower. I would not try to do 100 accounts if I were you either. Start early in the morning and try not to be out in the heat of the day.
One more thing you probably already know, if you don't need to pee you ain't drinking enough water.
You are not old but you need to be careful and SMART!
Joe

Turbo
11-11-2004, 11:29 PM
Hey Morningstar my dad is 76 he helps me every once in a while. All he does is ride my Exmark. Hope I can do that when I am76. He works about 8 to 10 hours a day.

hole in one lco
11-11-2004, 11:37 PM
If you can sit and or stand you can do this work for a long time.

dvmcmrhp52
11-11-2004, 11:55 PM
I'll go against the grain here a bit.............
I'm going to be 42 in a couple of months.
If I still have to be doing any grunt work in 2 years other than what I want to do I'll move on to other things.
This is a young man's game.
If its just mowing you'll do it shouldn't be a problem, but move 10 tons of stone for the day and you WILL feel your age.3 of us moved 17 tons of chipped red stone by hand and removed the 18 yards of mulch on tuesday and wednesday and although I'm not in pain my body sure knows its been overworked. It didn't used to be that way.

Old Red
11-12-2004, 06:38 AM
How soon will you retire? You could maybe try it part-time for a season or two. Are you supplementing a pension and can pace yourself or do you need to make a full time income? I'm fifty doing lawn installs part-time and yeah sometimes I'm sore for a couple of days but I'm okay. In a little less than four years I'll retire and I'll do what I can do.

MMLawn
11-12-2004, 02:48 PM
I wouldn't want to actually be the one doing the work at 57 and at 46 don't plan too either as I will have crews out doing the work or I'll retire. Too much work (at least as a true full time service to make a living) for a 57 year old. NOW, that is assuming that you really want to make some money say cutting at least 60 or so yards a week. If you only want to do say 10 a week for extra change then you can probably do it okay.

Green Care
11-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Yes you can but I figured you paid your dues so relax.

Future of Lawn Service
11-16-2004, 07:17 PM
I am 15 years old, and I've been cutting grass for about one year now. My co-worker was the one who got me into cutting lawns. Personally I wouldnt want to work at a McDonalds making $5.75 when I could do this and make $25 a lawn.

We work with a Commercial 36 inch John Deere walk-behind with Jungle Wheels. We have a RedMaxx trimmer, blower and stick edger.

I've been thinking about taking over his business when he leaves for college, but alot of people say if i could handle it or not. We have about 34 customers but Im going to cut it down to about 18-20 customers just because Im all by myself and I still have to go to school too. Im pretty sure I can do it because I have enough experience and Im confident enough that if i wanted to, I could take it over.

PLEASE tell me what you think...

Future of Lawn Service
11-16-2004, 07:33 PM
I also wanted to know how I can start next year off?..Send flyers out again?