PDA

View Full Version : Can my truck handle a trailer?

1brilord
11-11-2004, 06:45 PM
I am starting to expand my business and just purchased a 5X8 single axle trailer I plan on towing a exmark 36", two 21" lawnmowers, two trimmers an edger and a blower also gas cans. My question is I have a 1985 toyota truck with a 4 cylinder engine in it. I was thinking about buying a more powerful truck but I was wondering if my current truck could handle pulling a trailer with that sort of equipment in it? Also what are the prices on towing kits?

John Gamba
11-11-2004, 06:47 PM
I am starting to expand my business and just purchased a 5X8 single axle trailer I plan on towing a exmark 36", two 21" lawnmowers, two trimmers an edger and a blower also gas cans. My question is I have a 1985 toyota truck with a 4 cylinder engine in it. I was thinking about buying a more powerful truck but I was wondering if my current truck could handle pulling a trailer with that sort of equipment in it? Also what are the prices on towing kits?

Yes! On towing kits i dont know.
John

shepoutside
11-11-2004, 07:12 PM
Should be no problem, We have a 72 mazda p/u, that has never had a problem. towing kit meaning what? receiver? lights? Around here be 100-150 for your truck, but that's Canadian funds, so maybe 75 ish?, but the truck will do fine :)

jajwrigh
11-11-2004, 07:42 PM
I used my 4 cyclinder s-10 for two years pulling several yards of mulch, mowers, etc. It was a stick too(lowest towing capacity) and it did the job. I am saving for a dump truck for next spring though ....get the most powerful truck that you can afford!

procut
11-16-2004, 09:49 PM
I doubt you'd have any problems pulling a trailer that size.

Envision
11-16-2004, 10:14 PM
I used a 99 S-10 4.3 v6 for a year with a 6X10 trailer hauling a 48" wb and a
21" mower. Occasionally I hauled mulch, topsoil, etc. Lasted me a year before the rear end started to go out. It'll work for a while, just don't plan on it for the long run, I would upgrade as soon as possible!