PDA

View Full Version : Sharpening lawnmower blades

alpine692003
11-11-2004, 10:12 PM
When you guys sharpen your lawn mower blades, do you go left and right, right and left during the grinding?

I have an 8" bench grinder, when I sharpen the blade I usually just go from right to left until it finishes sharpening and then I just repeat until I find the surface smooth without humps and rigids?

Do you guys out there go from right to left, left to right during the grinding or do you just go one way let it finish and just repeat?

Timbo
11-11-2004, 10:17 PM
I always go from right to left then from right to left again. I do it about three times or so until I think the blade is shard enough. If there is a knick in the blade, I go over it until the knick is gone. I also turn the blade over and do the backside once or twice over to get rid of any burs. It always ends up sharp.

alpine692003
11-11-2004, 10:20 PM
Yah, i thought right to left let it complete its pass then right to left again would be ideal..

I tried right to left, left to right tonight and it gave me wavy and humps in the blades..

Precision
11-11-2004, 11:28 PM
from the center out. I use a 4 inch disk grinder with a flapped sander disk. YOu want the stone to be spinning towards the edge not away.

finer grit is better.