PDA

View Full Version : Employees doing a poor job.

MowerPro
11-12-2004, 12:20 AM
Seem to be having the same problem all year. Employees not performing quality work. Some of these guys have been cutting lawns for a long time. Had a guy (today) who has been with me for 3yrs. drive the truck up and over the customer turf (muddy, wet conditions) to dump leaf removal.

1st - we never dump leaf removal at a client site - we haul it way. 2nd he hosed the turf with the truck - What was he thinking?

Also - can't seem to get guys to bend over to pull or even spray a weed.

How do you other fellow lawn care owners motivate your workers? Eager to hear....

activelandscaping
11-12-2004, 01:36 AM
I find that showing my appreciation for the job they do usually helps a great deal.
I think it's tough for a lot of folks, myself included, to go out of their way to make sure that the people we count on to get the job done know how much appreciate them busting their tails.

The guys I have working for me make this pretty easy. I have been extremely fortunate, there isn't one person on my crew that can't do any job solo, or needs to be checked up on. My current situation is a good example. I injured my leg and have been layed up for 2 weeks now, but everythings still on track. My guys know they can come to me with any problem, work or home, and I will try and help.

I have been managing workers, in one form or another, since I was promoted from greens keeper to foreman some 15 yrs ago. I don't know what your situation is, but from my experience the kind of BS that your guy is doing is of the " I don't give a s**t " variety. I would guess he feels a little stepped on, again not knowing your situation or your crew I'm just guessing.

Best of luck,
Active

Team Gopher
11-12-2004, 11:00 AM
Hi MowerPro,

Here is an older post that may offer you some ideas.

A Bonus Plan: winner or loser? (http://server2.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=26002)

YardPro
11-12-2004, 07:42 PM
we mainly work on high end vacation homes. i have the same sort of problems. i have always thought it was the people, but more than likely the training.

YardPro
11-12-2004, 07:52 PM
just read the link provided and i used to do something similar.

the way i did it was to give an end of season/year bonus.

i would hire guys on at $8.00/hr (no experience) at the end of the season, if they stayed i would have $1000.00 bonus. ($2K for yearly employees)
for seasonal workers they had to stay the full season. ones that came on late were pro rated. if they quit or were fired they got nada.

there were deductions that were spelled out. also i gave deductions for job performance on a team scale. this kept everyone keeping an eye on others work.

it worked well.