PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have blowout problems when using a Vac besides us Exmark owners?

TreffertLawnWrx
11-12-2004, 02:12 AM
Seems like we are always discussing the blowout from the Ultra-Vac on Exmarks but no one else. I tell you I would defineatly look at another brand for next year If I didn't have to deal with blowout when using the Vac. (I have a baffle kit, so please, no reminders, :) )

I would like to hear from the Dixie, Husltler, JD, or anyone else fighting the leaf season using a Pico or other factory Vac.

Scott

Metro Lawn
11-12-2004, 02:17 AM
We run Hustler Super Zs with BacVac systems and a couple Exmarks with Trac Vacs Little to no blow out on the Hustlers, slightly more with the Exmarks but nothing major

moremowing4me
11-12-2004, 05:29 AM
I use a John Deere and it has a little but its not bad enough to where it causes me any problems. If I had my way I would not do any leaf clean-up. I would rather just cut the grass. It is so much easier and alot less messy in my opinion

Kev's Lawncare
11-12-2004, 08:14 AM
Toro Z255 - 52"SFS - DFS Bagger. Xtreme blow out as the dealer puts it. 12 hours in shop, different baffle systems/different blades. In shop now, Guru's from Toro were to be in yesterday afternoon to check it out.

GreenQuest Lawn
11-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Try to cut back your rpm's a ways, this seems to work for me, also, as the hoppers get filled (I have a Bluebird vac) there is less suction, therefore more blow out.

rodfather
11-12-2004, 08:35 AM
Running double Gators with Trac Vacs on my Wb's we get it. We just deal with it.

65hoss
11-12-2004, 08:53 AM
Just about any comm'l mower I've ever seen has blowout problems. With the exception of the dedicated collection mowers. Walkers and that style mower usually will suck everything up with no blowout.

FrankenScagMachines
11-12-2004, 10:43 AM
i have blowout with my Ferris, new in May. The deck is lined out perfectly on it. I use the triple bag Fast-Vac (Ultra Vac equivalent from Ferris). It works great but i do get blowout. With standard blades i get a little bit, but i can deal with it. With gators i get the least but with all the rain i need more suction. The 3" wide high lifts work great for suction but they have blowout too. I'm trying to get suction and mulching here. Tried double gators, that didn't do too bad but looking for a little more lift. Currently using Meg-Mo blades (surprisingly it has enough power for this and the bagger) they have good vacuum and good chopping, especially if you go over the leaves once without baggin then go over them suck them up the second time it really mulches them good and packs a whole lot in, better than with any other blades. But they have alot of blowout especially when dry, a ton of blowout. It just rained all day yesterday so i picked up the garage, now i can work in there today its sunny but it won't dry enough to do much if any work, so i will pull the Ferris in and make an anti-blowout baffle for it. Last fall i built one for my 52" eXmark TTHP and it worked really well actually, using it with gator over standard lift, with a home made Trac-vac system on it (self powered 5hp vac). that worked pretty good, hopefully it'll work on my Ferris as well. I just used the thick stiff plastic semi-truck mud flaps cut into strips bolted to the deck baffling, made it stick down below the baffling the whole width of the deck about an inch or inch and a half i cannot remember exactly. I do like the Meg-Mo blades for mulching and vacuuming. Other blades either didn't mulch enough or didn't have enough vacuum, no perfect combination. Now the Meg-Mo's work good but gotta solve the blowout issue. On my 36" walk behind (eXmark) I like to run gators over standard lift. They have alot of blowout also so i will make a baffle for it too, and will be building a homemade Trac-Vac for it similar to what i had on 52" TTHP last year.

Ok to summarize, yes any mower has blowout as far as i know.

Jackman
11-12-2004, 10:53 AM
I have the Exmark 60 Z with Utra vac when it was new I had minimal blowout, nothing that concerned me ,however now it is well used and the plastic debris shoot is distorted upward which allows the leaves to escape... A 2nd pass is needed to pick up the blowout, maybe your shoot is also distorted...

FrankenScagMachines
11-12-2004, 10:58 AM
oh also i forgot to mention, blowout is greater when hoppers are getting full and also at least on my Fast-Vac, i get a little debris buildup in the corners of the rectangle vac intake, on the front edge of the intake it gets debris buildup mostly from grass that sticks there in "clumps" like deck buildup. This also increases blowout by adding another obstacle for the debris to pass by and work around... gotta keep it all cleaned out. oh keep deck real clean too, any debris buildup in there gives less room for airflow so it escapes under front of deck.

Jackman
11-12-2004, 11:11 AM
Here is something else to try on the Ultravac , under the hood is a big screen when its matted with debris the vac does not pick up as well as the air is not flowing thru the unit......

HazellLawnCare
11-12-2004, 01:27 PM
I use Toro with the liquid cooled Kawasaki and 60" deck. I have the 3 bag setup from Toro on 2 of these machines and they are awesome baggers. The only time they will blow stuff out is in a couple of my back yards that have a lot of trees. The only reason I think they do it there is the grass isn't tall and thick enough for the deck to get a good vaccum.

Sam-Ohio
11-13-2004, 12:43 AM
The current [2004] Scag mower deck has some really good features that address the blowout problem very well.

The front air guide baffle - the one that is right in front of the blades, can be adjusted up or lowered down on the Scag. When it is bagging leaves, you adjust it down lower than the blade tips. This really helps stop front blow out. The Scag baffle also has a short "ledge" baffle or air guide where the blade tips overlap - this catches the whirling air and redirects it back into the mower.

This whole thing is hard to describe accuratly. You really need to go look at how they have designed this.

Anyway, they seem to have done a lot of thinking about this problem, and have some of the best features that address it that I have seen.

Envy Lawn Service
11-13-2004, 05:03 AM
Well, I don't like giving Great Dane "free press" here. But I had a look at their new 'Enhanced Cutter Deck' when I went along to help my sub pick out a new mower. I've been wondering how well it controls blowout ever since. Here, have a look.

http://www.greatdanemowers.com/images/cutterdeck_big.jpg

Creative Lawn Care
11-13-2004, 08:37 AM
I had a Kubota Gf1800 then a JD F620 ZTrack and now Exmark Lazer HP. The JD had the least amoung of blowout, but the exmark is a much faster machine. I enjoyed the Kubota, but arent those slow compared to a Z mower

cps
08-08-2010, 01:44 AM
It sounds like you have some experience with baggers and maybe you can help me decide on a bagger for my Ferris 1500z. I know Ferris has the Fast-Vac but I have also been looking at a Trac-Vac. My mower only has the 21hp Kaw and I wonder if the Fast-Vac will bog it down. As for the Trac-vac I have one on an old 44" Toro Proline and it works amazing but im worried about the added weight to my zturn. Im not a fan of how it sits off the side making the mower off balanced and it has to leave more of a foot print on lawns?

If there is a better bagging system out there that I should be looking into please let me know.. I just don't know what direction to go in? :-/