PDA

View Full Version : Operating from a cell phone

Eric 1
11-12-2004, 09:49 AM
What do you think of this, like that is you buis # on all your cards, trucks, in the phone book ect.

The reason i ask is that after i get a customer i give them my cell# because that is the best way to get hold of me, then if they refer me they use the cell#. So i get like maybe 1 call a week on the land line, seems like a waste.

jdwilliams1
11-12-2004, 09:52 AM
I have used my cell phone for 14 yrs, been awesome answering service and all!

wriken
11-12-2004, 09:59 AM
I currently have a business land line, and with it for a fee come the yellow page add. I've asked people how they found me, 1 person said the YP, so this Dec. I'm going to discontinue my land line and YP, and go with my nextell's, I have 3 of them might as well use them. Theres quite a few business's doing that now.

Ability
11-12-2004, 10:15 AM
I use a cell phone. That way people don't drive my wife crazy on the land line.

Mo Green
11-12-2004, 10:20 AM
Some people use a land line and have it forwarded to their cell phone. To me this seems like a waste of money. I use my cell phone for all business transactions. Even if I am home. This way the customers can't get my home number and bug me there after business hours. If they call my cell after business hours, then it is my choice to answer or not. If you have your cell with you all day, then you make yourself more accessible to your customer, which most of them appreciate.

twwlawn
11-12-2004, 10:35 AM
I have Nextel and that seems to work better than a land line. Most of my supplier's have Nextel and I get a fast response from them when needed. My Nextel number is used as my main business number, that way customer's can call me direct. If I don't hear my phone while operating equipment, they get my voice mail.

Ryan Lightning
11-12-2004, 10:45 AM
My cell # is the only phone Ive used since i started, It works out good. Some people call because they know its a cell # and will get ahold of someone. And you still run yellow page ads.

FrankenScagMachines
11-12-2004, 10:49 AM
I got a cell phone this summer. Up to then i'd been using the home phone for all advertising. Now, its to the point where the only way to reach me is on the cell phone plus it's easier for my family not to have to take messages for me all day long. I have caller ID, voice mail all that free. I pay about the same price as a land line. Its also handy i have calculator, calender and all that stuff on it too. I leave it in the truck when we work except at lunch i take it with me of course. I just check it between jobs to see if i have a missed call or message. It is very nice to have, i can call customers and say we're headed that way if they request i call first (like for one time jobs for instance). people don't want to give a message to someone then hope you call them back at 7 or 8 at night or whatever when you get home and put everything away outside.
So i used the cell number when i put my ad in the newspaper for cleanups. been going just fine! so far so good. also if someone calls for an estimate, i always try to be very prompt about that, so if i can stop by while i'm already in town it's handy that they can get ahold of me so we can setup an appointment soon, maybe even within a few minutes.

Eric 1
11-12-2004, 11:36 AM
I got a cell phone this summer. Up to then i'd been using the home phone for all advertising. Now, its to the point where the only way to reach me is on the cell phone plus it's easier for my family not to have to take messages for me all day long. I have caller ID, voice mail all that free. I pay about the same price as a land line. Its also handy i have calculator, calender and all that stuff on it too. I leave it in the truck when we work except at lunch i take it with me of course. I just check it between jobs to see if i have a missed call or message. It is very nice to have, i can call customers and say we're headed that way if they request i call first (like for one time jobs for instance). people don't want to give a message to someone then hope you call them back at 7 or 8 at night or whatever when you get home and put everything away outside.
So i used the cell number when i put my ad in the newspaper for cleanups. been going just fine! so far so good. also if someone calls for an estimate, i always try to be very prompt about that, so if i can stop by while i'm already in town it's handy that they can get ahold of me so we can setup an appointment soon, maybe even within a few minutes.

Good point.

Freshcut Lawn Care
11-12-2004, 11:49 AM
We use the Cell phone mostly and my home number as a back up!

HOOLIE
11-12-2004, 12:54 PM
I've been thinking about this, my business line really isn't worth the money while I'm working solo. When you get to the point where you have a real office/shop its a little more practical.

cleancutccl
11-12-2004, 01:13 PM
I haven't had a land line for 3 years, only cell phones. The only downfall is that you're not in the phone book. What I do is I give every existing customer a magnetic business card. That way I always know that they have my number and shouldn't have misplaced it.

Fantasy Lawns
11-12-2004, 01:23 PM
I would NEVER give my cell number or nextel number to a customer

I have a sperate business phone number which has the local extension n have it forwarded to my cell ... when I'm not local I have it forwarded to my foreman .... for $10 extra a month it's worth it

all those funky cell numbers it's hard to tell where they are from .... when my customer's look in the yellow pages, off a truck, business card or web site .... they see that local "452" n know its a local number in Merritt Island

Plus when I sell ..... n YES I will sell the business one day .... the name n number go with the $$ which smooths out the transfer

Eric 1
11-12-2004, 02:30 PM
We have "local" cell phone #'s.

Also in my add's it say's serving x y and z county's.

YardPro
11-12-2004, 04:53 PM
although we have an office line, it is mostly used for faxes, etc.

Fantasy Lawns
11-12-2004, 06:06 PM
True is that ... but do you have a Yellow Page Ad ?? although many on here don't believe in it .... I wish everyone would not believe in it

I understand the "local cell" phone but those first three numbers are still "funky" when compared to all the numbers in the phone books, fore us ....n this is a small county with just around 500k resi's .... when I see extensions like 452 or 453 I know it's Merritt Island .... 636 Cocoa Rockledge 799 Beach side

When is see 632,504,323,804 I know it's a cell phone .... which is fine to use as the main line .... I'm NOT knocking it otherwise I would not be having my land line forwarded ....but I like the YP .... the consistency in my signage n such as related to have the local extension

So by all means ADVO with the Cell number n that's all good

jbell113
11-12-2004, 06:49 PM
Some people use a land line and have it forwarded to their cell phone. To me this seems like a waste of money. I use my cell phone for all business transactions. Even if I am home. This way the customers can't get my home number and bug me there after business hours. If they call my cell after business hours, then it is my choice to answer or not. If you have your cell with you all day, then you make yourself more accessible to your customer, which most of them appreciate.

ditto that bro

Eric 1
11-12-2004, 06:57 PM
True is that ... but do you have a Yellow Page Ad ?? although many on here don't believe in it .... I wish everyone would not believe in it

I understand the "local cell" phone but those first three numbers are still "funky" when compared to all the numbers in the phone books, fore us ....n this is a small county with just around 500k resi's .... when I see extensions like 452 or 453 I know it's Merritt Island .... 636 Cocoa Rockledge 799 Beach side

When is see 632,504,323,804 I know it's a cell phone .... which is fine to use as the main line .... I'm NOT knocking it otherwise I would not be having my land line forwarded ....but I like the YP .... the consistency in my signage n such as related to have the local extension

So by all means ADVO with the Cell number n that's all good

Ok, i see what you are saying now.

YardPro
11-12-2004, 07:14 PM
do any of you guys use a fax?????

Turfdude
11-12-2004, 07:37 PM
Why would you want your clients to have your cell phone #?????

We service approximately 350 accounts w/ maint, fert, snow, landscape & etc. I would not get any work done if I took calls tvia my cell. Some commercial property mgrs. have it (for snow removal and/or emergencies only). We get anywhere from 10 calls a day (slow periods) to 40 calls a day (spring). I have caller ID on the bus. line, a separate fax # ( which also comes in handy) and all of this is at the shop & not at my home. Clients know they can usually catch me personally 6:30-7:30 AM or 3:30-5:00PM, or I'll return their call during day or evening hours upon request. My wife checks my messages (Verizon voice mail) a few times a day & calls my Nextel if there's any pressing matters. When I'm working, I don't have time to waste managerially. The converse of that is true too in that if I have to do managerial work, the labor is delegated.

Creative Lawn Care
11-12-2004, 08:42 PM
We have nextel, I have used mine as my only phone number for almost 3 years. I also have email, fax and of course PO Box. with all those ways to contact me I cant believe anyone would care if its a cell or landline.

precisioncut
11-12-2004, 10:04 PM
I have used my home phone for all business use. Not a big deal. People like it when someone actually answers on the other end. My wife doesn't seem to mind either, she takes all the info for me. When not at home it is forwarded to my cell.

I agree with all the other numbers for cell phones comment. When someone see's my home phone number they know where I am located. Cell phone prefixes are all over the place now days.

fixer67
11-12-2004, 10:40 PM
My thought on the matter is now days it really does not matter if it is landline or cell. In the first days of cell phones there were looked now on whenit came to using them as a business number for some reason. Now now days cell phones out number landlines and people see a phone number just as that a phone number and could really care less what type of phone is on the other end. It woud be nice if some one came out with a cell phone book and they will some day.

proenterprises
11-12-2004, 10:49 PM
i use a cell phone for everything, i dont know why anyone would do otherwise. people can always reach you, your never bothered when your at home, and if you dont want to take any calls, just put it on silent!

Eric 1
11-15-2004, 09:50 PM
Thanks to every one. :waving:

Smithers
11-15-2004, 10:10 PM
i dont have a land line....never will. waste of money.

i have a High Speed internet access and a cell phone. Nothing better. period.