PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshoot this one

Mataman
11-12-2004, 01:47 PM
Problem: 150PGA doesn't operate
- flow control is full open :drinkup:
- 27 vac at the controller :drinkup:
- removed gelcaps connecting the solenoid to the leads, with the wires all still connected I get, 0 vac 37.6 ohms ;)
- 24 vac at the leads going to the solenoid, disco'd from the solenoid :drinkup:
- 37.6 ohms at the solenoid, disco'd from the leads :drinkup:
- removed solenoid, water flows I get wet :cool2:
- connected the solenoid to the mv and common terminals at the controller, BUZZZ :drinkup:
- even tried replacing the solenoid but had the same results ;)

why won't the valve operate?

SprinklerGuy
11-12-2004, 03:35 PM
Sounds like the wire has a nick in it.....I know it sounds funny huh?

If the voltage is good at the solenoid when disconnected but not good when connected then your voltage is disappearing into the ground through the nick, most likely.

You need amps as well as volts...when the wire is nicked and there is a load (solenoid) the voltaage goes into the ground through the nick.

sound good? this is the best way I can explain it....I have tried to explain this before to techs....

Mdirrigation
11-12-2004, 10:10 PM
There is something in the valve. I have gotten some glue on the port on the discharge side of the valve and it wont let the valve open . Replace the whole valve not just the guts

SprinklerGuy
11-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Read it again MDI...especially this part:

removed gelcaps connecting the solenoid to the leads, with the wires all still connected I get, 0 vac 37.6 ohms
- 24 vac at the leads going to the solenoid, disco'd from the solenoid
- 37.6 ohms at the solenoid, disco'd from the leads

jerryrwm
11-12-2004, 10:59 PM
If the solenoid snaps at the valve (ie. pulls the actuator up) then I would say that the diaphragm is defective. Either the orifices in the diaphragm are out of shape or the material is torn.

If there is no solenoid working at the valve, and the diaphragm is okay, then you better break out the 521 and the Pulsar, cause you got wire problems.

Md - why would you replace the whole valve? There are three instances that really warrant changing out a complete valve - 1. Cracked valve body 2. Obsolete valve that parts are no longer available for 3. Any time you find a Toro Flo-Pro in the ground.

Mataman
11-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Sorry Guys, I didn't make myself clear.
removed gelcaps connecting the solenoid to the leads and the zone was powered up, with the wires all still connected I get, 0 vac 37.6 ohms

activelandscaping
11-13-2004, 12:54 PM
- 24 vac at the leads going to the solenoid, disco'd from the solenoid
- removed gelcaps connecting the solenoid to the leads, with the wires all still connected I get, 0 vac 37.6 ohms

Just doesn't make sense, although normally I would expect to see closer to 25 V @ the valve.
I would recheck the voltage @ the valve , w/o the solenoid hooked up. Then hook up the solenoid and check the voltage at the timer. Also try switching the wire to a station that you know is good. It is possible that there is a bad splice, where the wire is snapped in the jacket and making partial contact etc........ You run into some odd s**t in LV wiring, none of the licensed electrician's I know will touch LV.

Regards,
Active

Critical Care
11-13-2004, 03:54 PM
If you have other valves in the box, try exchanging the wires off of this valve over to another.

Different controllers have different current outputs to valves. If there is a problem such as excess current demand from a number of valves, or a wire problem, then the solenoid could just buzz. Ever have a car battery get really low when the radio will play, lights will go on, but when you try to start the car all you hear is the chattering of the relay.

I'd bet that if you could move that valve up to the controller with a short length of cable going to it, it would work.

Mataman
11-13-2004, 04:57 PM
Yeah you guys pretty much nailed it.

I had to ask the grounds super if there was any ground work since the last time I checked the system. Then he told me there was some electricians digging a trench to lay some additional power lines and come to find out they hacked through my line but didn't mention anything to anybody.They split into two wires, causing them to touch and electricity will follow the path with least resistance. Well when that zone got power it went elsewhere.

SprinklerGuy
11-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Ka ching! Give the prize to MR. NEUMANN!!!!