PDA

View Full Version : blowing leaves thru chain link fence...

Up North
11-12-2004, 03:45 PM
I just got a call from someone wanting a bid on leaf clean up now and mowing for next year. They have just under an acre with a small area in the backyard that's fenced off with a chain link fence. The area they want the leaves blown to is on the south side of the property so in order to get a good portion of the leaves over there I'll need to go through the fence. Any problems with blowing them through? I don't foresee it being a major hang-up, just take me a little longer is what I'm thinking. Any suggestions or ideas?

They do have a 6 foot section of the fence which is wood that I'll be removing so I can get my Z back there to make the clean up go a bit quicker, I can blow all the leaves thru that opening if needed.

Dang...2 weeks ago I thought I was all done for the year, but with all this nice weather we've been having I may as well get back out there, glad I didn't winterize the equipment yet.

Buck

spcfoor
11-12-2004, 03:54 PM
How big are the holes in the chain link? I think that as soon as you try to blow them thru they will get stuck. Just my thoughts.

tiedeman
11-12-2004, 03:58 PM
blow them right up against the chainlink fence, and then just use a pitchfork to throw them over the fence. It might be a little more back breaking work, but it will work.

General Grounds
11-12-2004, 04:05 PM
if the fence is not secured at the bottom middle simply take a bungy cord and hook one end at the bottom of the fence and take the other end and wrap it around the top of the fence this will give you enough clearence to fire the leaves under the fence. works great for us. tony

PLM-1
11-12-2004, 04:14 PM
if the fence is not secured at the bottom middle simply take a bungy cord and hook one end at the bottom of the fence and take the other end and wrap it around the top of the fence this will give you enough clearence to fire the leaves under the fence. works great for us. tony

that's' what i do...if it isn't loose just unhook a few places and hold it up

Up North
11-12-2004, 04:20 PM

It didn't appear to be secure at the bottom but then again I didn't tug on it to check. But if not secure I'll blow them under or use Tiedeman's method if needed.

Thanks guys!

Buck

Smithers
11-12-2004, 04:21 PM
I have never done what Tony has, but you should try it. Otherwise, you will sit there all day trying to get individual leaves thru the chain link fence. I hate doing that. I'd rather get a plastic rake and pull them away from the fence.

I wish all yards were unfenced. that is the number one reason for leaf cleanups taking so long

kemmer
11-12-2004, 05:53 PM
y not just blow them though the 6 ft opening? or plow them through with the z or tarping?

shepoutside
11-12-2004, 05:57 PM
I had one HUGE yard like that, I used plywood sheets, and put them 45 degrees on the fence, and then deflected them over with my little wonder, worked great ! :)

Zach76
11-12-2004, 06:55 PM
In the past I have taken a really large tarp, draped it over the top of the fence so there's a lot of it on the ground. Stake down the corners, blow the leaves onto the tarp, grab the corners, and lift/dump the leaves over the fence. Resume blowing.

Brianj
11-12-2004, 06:56 PM
mulch them first them blow them through... that works pretty good

crawdad
11-12-2004, 07:02 PM
I had one HUGE yard like that, I used plywood sheets, and put them 45 degrees on the fence, and then deflected them over with my little wonder, worked great ! :)

In the past I have taken a really large tarp, draped it over the top of the fence so there's a lot of it on the ground. Stake down the corners, blow the leaves onto the tarp, grab the corners, and lift/dump the leaves over the fence. Resume blowing.

Combine these two soutions, and you got it made. Use a tarp, staked down, and draped over the fence. Blow them over. let us know how well it works.
Crawdad payup

gogetter
11-12-2004, 07:41 PM
Most likely you'll have to go with at least ONE of the ideas offered, because you probably won't be able to blow them through the fence.

I tried it on one lawn last year using my 10hp LW push blower, and all it did was "clog" against the fence. They didn't go through.

I ended up having to move them down along the fence to the gate. Then I set up the LW facing the gate, and used my backpacks to blow them towards the opening. They hit the wind stream from the LW and shot out the gate.

Up North
11-12-2004, 08:15 PM
lots of great ideas guys, thanks. I assume the leaves will not go through once I get a big pile. I'll bring the tarps with just in case I can't blow them under. Thanks again for the ideas, we don't have to many chain link fences in this part of the country due to large yards so this will be my first attempt at a clean up under these circumstances. Looking forward to the challenge!

Thanks again! I'll report back on how it goes.

Buck

Runner
11-14-2004, 01:47 PM
This is somewhat like what I was going to suggest. We do one yard that has a high wood fence across the back, a gate, and then field behind it. I get the leaves piled up beside it, point the little wonder in the direction of the open gate, and rake the leaves into the path of the blower. You lose a few leaves that flutter up, but you get the majority of it and then clean the little remainder after that. What I was going to say, was a piece of plywood for this, but the tarp idea is actually better if it's secured properly. As long as the bottom is staked down well to not allow air to pull it up from underneath.

BMFD92
11-14-2004, 01:58 PM
I have a bunch of properties with chain link fences and I just blow them over or if they are heavy I throw it over with the rake and then I blow the rest through. Mine arent secure on the bottom so I just lift it up and blow under it.

Up North
11-19-2004, 10:23 PM
Well I thought I'd give you all an update on how my battle with the chain link fence went. First off the chainlink fence could just as well have been a brick wall. You aren't going to blow anything THRU it. Fortunately I had a 6' section of wood fence that I could remove, then next to this section was a gate for the chain link fence. So I removed the wood section (backed out 4 screws and took it down) then opened the chain link gate and I had about a 9' open area. So I blew all the leaves to the opening and then blew them out and across small section of lawn to a dump area they had. I had forgot my dang tarps or I could have cut 20-30 minutes or so off my total time. My tarps and a wb blower would have made very quick work of this job.

Total area was an acre, 1 guy (me), 2 1/2 hours total time. Leaf clean up, mow, trim, & blow. Ended up making $54 an hour, $10 under my average for the season. Next time I'll have a better idea of what to expect when doing clean ups with fenced in areas.

Buck

Smithers
11-19-2004, 10:39 PM
First off the chainlink fence could just as well have been a brick wall. Buck

buck, you made me laugh......see...and you thought that you could blow some leaves thru. :p :p

i am glad that at the end, it all worked out for you. $54/hr is not that bad. great job, buddy.

out4now
11-19-2004, 11:16 PM
ZTR wont fit through the gate? If you just plan to use mower on other side anyway why not just mow' em to start with?

Up North
11-20-2004, 03:12 PM
ZTR wont fit through the gate? If you just plan to use mower on other side anyway why not just mow' em to start with?

Did mow some of them. I've got Gators on the Z and it pulverized a lot of leaves. But when you start getting 12-16 inch leaf piles the Z just pushes them around. That's when the blower came out and finished the job.

Petrentz,
I figured a guy would be able to get a few thru the fence, but...uh huh, it ain't happening. It blew the leaves on the OTHER side of the fence real well, so that was ok. But that was the extent of it.

Buck

PLM-1
11-21-2004, 10:26 PM
What are customers reactions when they see some of their fence taken down?

Mine would throw a fit!

Up North
11-22-2004, 09:50 AM
What are customers reactions when they see some of their fence taken down?

Mine would throw a fit!

I asked them if I could remove that section before I did it. They were perfectly fine with it. But yeah, I don't think it'd be a good idea to tear down someone's fence without permission.

Buck