PDA

View Full Version : Question about Leaf Cleanups

googles
11-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Just curious on what is a fair hourly price to charge my customers for leaf cleanup if I have a 3 man crew? and what do you charge hourly if you are using a 2 man crew? since at times I will only use 2 guys on some houses? Ps. I will be using mainly blowers if that helps. Thanks

Lawnchoice
11-12-2004, 04:07 PM
IMO it's really specific to your area.

What do you get an hour for mowing?

I double that per guy for the cleanups.

googles
11-12-2004, 06:56 PM
nobody has any ideas? please give me some feedback.

YardPro
11-12-2004, 07:01 PM
ir depends on what equipment you are using.
we get $35.00/man hour plus equipment

with 2 guys it's $70.00/hr.

do a search and you'll find how to calculate equipment costs

googles
11-12-2004, 07:25 PM
basically i am just looking to see what everyone charges per man hours. either 2 or 3 man crew.

Ren
11-12-2004, 07:49 PM
I do fall cleanups solo and bill myself out at $60 minimum per hour and sometimes up to $80. When I started 4 years ago, my coach at Lesco told me that most landscapers in this area try to get at least $60 an hour. I get to $80 an hour when the cleanup looks like a $250 cleanup but I end up getting it done in 3 hours. I use the back pack to blow it on the lawn, 60" hustler to grind it down 10 to 1 and then pick it up with the Hustler with leaf basket. Most of my cleanups here allow me to dump the ground up leaves in the woods or a compost pile. Hope that helps.

Smithers
11-12-2004, 08:27 PM
Googles, yard pro is right. do a quick search on fall cleanups and you will get a ton of links to valuable information.

I get about $40-$80 per man hour. depending on how long it takes you and the equipment you use. That's all.

Call a few local landscaping, act dumb, and ask them how much it would cost to do your yard. Around here, it's $100/per hour. That tells me that they also charge $50/man hour. 3 people = $150. It might take you less, but you will get it right.

take care.

Green Care
11-12-2004, 08:43 PM
75 a hour for 2 for 3 it's 105.

bobbygedd
11-12-2004, 09:58 PM
example:yesterday: 2 good /experienced guys with good blowers. one job 60 min for $160. next job $150 for 60 min. a trained crew of two should easily gross $70-90 per man hr while on the job, for leaf cleanup

gogetter
11-12-2004, 10:29 PM
I get about $40-$80 per man hour. depending on how long it takes you and the equipment you use. That's all.

Come on now! In a thread from a couple weeks ago you wrote:

"I just did this yard today (the intermediate fall cleanup with no flower bed cleanup) for $85. It took me 4 hrs (2 people). Did I underprice this job?".

Now this week you are getting $40-$80 per man hour?????

Anyway, to the original post, it depends on what you need to charge to make a profit. If you can charge $25 an hour and make a profit, then that's what you charge (not too likely though). If you have to charge $50-60 an hour to make a profit, then that's what you charge.
Just be sure to factor in ALL your costs of doing business.

Smithers
11-13-2004, 09:38 AM
Gogetter,

I was thinking that someone might point this out and you are right absolutely right about what I said a few weeks ago. However, that is what I did on my 1st ever leaf collecting job. Did I screw myself? Absolutely. Did I listen to all of your advice when I posted that on LS and learned a whole lot from it? Absolutely. I felt like a punching bag after posting the story. But I take constructive criticism very well and learn from it.

I did not think that there was a need to visit the horrible memories that I had from the first job, so I simply told Googles what I have been doing since. I could have whined and complained about my first underbidding experience, but googles did not start a thread asking people what their bad experiences were. He was asking for an advice and I tried to tell him what I have been getting (omitting the first job).

By the way, the next few jobs we did, we got two times $125 for 2 jobs (one hour each), and another one for $225 for 2 hrs.

So they came out to $50-$65 or so for me and my wife.

I really think that unless they are very experienced, most people will underbid some job and overbid (but still get) other jobs. At the end, it should all average out to $50-$70.

Gogetter, you are right - if googles is making profit charging $35/hr, he is lucky and should do that. I hope this explains my position on this. Let me know if you have any questions. I am impressed that you are so observant and remember who said what on LS. I am still having hard times remembering who said what.

googles
11-13-2004, 10:55 PM
Thanks petrentz, i didnt mean to start things up with this tread but i just was curious on what everyone was getting. i am not a total newbee to the lawn business. i have 75 clients but i just wanted to make sure i was on key for this season. So just looking for some pricing and not looking for any fighting on here. so everyone grab a bear and enjoy. (I dont drink YUK) :drinkup: PS and thanks for all your inputs so far

Shuter
11-13-2004, 11:00 PM
Let's say it was me charging, perhaps in the area of $50.00 per hour per man, plus equipment and disposal charges. Maybe something like this.

Smithers
11-14-2004, 12:33 PM
no problem, googles.

yeah, remember the dump fee. If you dont have a dump truck or a dump trailer, it is a pain in the azz. I have a place to dump them and i still spend 20 min or so to push them out of my truck. pain....

and here only a few cities pickup the leaves from the curb. i have to haul away others. and on top of that, the dump is open only on Saturday from 10-2pm.

googles
11-18-2004, 11:45 AM
ok so basically if I know the job will take me 3 hours with me and another guy what would I charge in your opinion?

gogetter
11-18-2004, 03:07 PM
ok so basically if I know the job will take me 3 hours with me and another guy what would I charge in your opinion?

You "claim" to have been in business for 2 years and have 75 clients, and you are asking this question?. :rolleyes:

Mo Green
11-18-2004, 05:16 PM
2 guys @ $75.00 per man hour x 3 hours.

so, 75 x 3 = 225.00

And the answer is........$225.00

I don't get it. You've been in the biz for 2 years and have 75 customers, but you have no idea what to charge? It seems that you want this spelled out for you. Several people have given you numbers, but you keep asking what you should charge in their opinion.

googles
12-10-2004, 06:22 PM
You "claim" to have been in business for 2 years and have 75 clients, and you are asking this question?. :rolleyes:

No Gogetter i dont Claim and and Telling you. Yes i have 75 clients and been is business for 2 years. Hell next year i should have 150 clients. I dont sit on my ass so maybe you do. I don't know what your wise ass comment is for becuase i am asking a question since i had to learn most of everything on my own. I just want to make sure im not over or under charging anyone. its not like your can go up to all the landscapers in your area and ask them for there price sheet. that is why this site is so great. If you dont want to answer it then butt out and go jump out of a tree. you seem to give a wise comments to everyone. but to all the rest of you guys thanks for your input. i have been charging $45 per hour. so it the job takes me 3 hours with me and a helper i would charge $270 sicne its 6 man hours and thats not including dump fee.

googles
12-10-2004, 06:40 PM
2 guys @ $75.00 per man hour x 3 hours.

so, 75 x 3 = 225.00

And the answer is........$225.00

I don't get it. You've been in the biz for 2 years and have 75 customers, but you have no idea what to charge? It seems that you want this spelled out for you. Several people have given you numbers, but you keep asking what you should charge in their opinion.

I would think that you are under charging if you only charge $225 for 3 hours with 2 guys. thats 6 total man hours. that means you charge 35 an hour. so again guys i dont know why everyone has to be a wise ass when it comes to a site like this. share your knowledge and be thankful for this site. Mo green you must have joined the band wagon with gogetter. you both only been in business as long as me give or take a year and yet you are both so arrogant. at 75 clients i think im doing pretty well. im a husler and i will keep growing at a steady rate. i wish you both luck but with that attitude i dont see your customers liking it. anyway to everyone else thanks again for your input.

packerbacker
12-10-2004, 06:45 PM
I charge $55 a man hour but i work by myself. 95% of my houses get 4 cleanups a season. Usually 3 in the fall and 1 final in the winter. About 2-3 hours a house.