PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about while mowing

greendave
11-12-2004, 08:30 PM
Ok guys and gals, lets have it. Sometimes, when I'm doing several accounts at one time, I may be on the Z for up to an hour or more mowing. My mind wanders, I think about all kinds of stuff. Whether you wear ear protection with no sound, or even a radio headset, where does your mind go? What do you think about? Be honest!

kickin sum grass
11-12-2004, 08:33 PM
After that much time I just kinda wake up and all the grass is cut. After you been on the property for 8-10 years the mowers just kinda go by themselves. No need to stay awake for that long and try to think about something. I usually use the time my girlfriend is yelling at me to do my thinking. ;)

ztoro
11-12-2004, 08:44 PM
i was mowing a huge field once after lunch at taco bell.. I was about a 100 yards from the woods hammering at 10 mphs..... Sweating...... stomach was gergling... I promised God I would never eat taco bell again if he allowed me to make it to those woods.... The situation was diverted and I havent had taco bell since....

Norm Al
11-12-2004, 08:47 PM
is this better moderator?

http://www.transworldmotocross.com/mx/content/images/023T3167.jpg

locutus
11-12-2004, 09:00 PM
Sex and how to obtain it. Secondly, how to make things more efficient, which clients to keep/drop. Things like that.

fga
11-12-2004, 09:12 PM
i usally get a stupid song in my head.... and my day is ruined! The other day, the DAMN "Different Strokes" theme song?? where the hell did that come from? picture yourself mowing back and fourth...

"Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum,
what might be right for you, may not be right for some.
A man is born, he's a man of means.
Then along come two, they got nothing but their jeans." :dizzy:

a week or so ago, it was "B.J. and the Bear".

"rolling down to dallas, my wheels supply my palace,
off to new orleans, or who knows where..." :cool:

Eric 1
11-12-2004, 09:20 PM
Like FGA said, sometimes i catch myself singing, dont know how long i have been doing it or were it came from.
Other times i start then you "wake up" and poof! your done. (i like that)
Or i think about money, trucks, mowers, blowers, accounts i want or am doing next
Or about how the dude just when flying by flipped me off , then i spend the rest of the day memorizing his car and plate # and plan how i will revenge myself if i ever see him. :angel:

FuzzyOne
I think about my real job.....

and how I'd rather be doing this full time.

bobbygedd
i think about what my 5th grade teacher said, "robbie, you will never amount to anything." then it hits me....she was right

Mo Green
11-12-2004, 09:21 PM
I usually listen to talk radio on my Peltors. Sometimes the people that call in are toooo funny. They think they have a grip, but most of them have no clue. This keeps my mind pretty busy.

Lawnchoice
11-12-2004, 09:47 PM
Same as above.

Get a set of Peltors. You will not only stay sane, but your day will go by quicker !

K c m
11-12-2004, 11:18 PM
Ha. I swim for my university at a collegent level. Swimming is a lonely sport just like mowing. I have the ability to be somewhere else while doing something. Auto-pilot mode. :cool2:

ICE
11-13-2004, 12:10 AM
Ha. I swim for my university at a collegent level. Swimming is a lonely sport just like mowing. :

Huh?!?! Mowing = sport = me in last place!! LOL

Tim. :sleeping:

Bray
11-13-2004, 12:15 AM
I usually drift out when something catches my eye. For instance I had a 73 Trans-Am in Highschool with the 4 speed 454 one bad mojo and saw a Porsche that looked like one that I beat back then. I think about my life and what I can do to make it easier on my family. I drift off thinking about my 6 month old boy and what it's going to be like to see him in sports. I think about throwing malts at the LCO's in highschool and watch for it to come back at me. It never fails when I'm singing to my self that a person will come by and think I'm talking to myself. I usually need to see something for me to snap and start thinking about anything but work. By the way my T/A got stolen as well as my Ninja on Christmas eve of 93'.

MOW ED
11-13-2004, 09:11 AM
I have a Sony sports radio that works great. I have 5 preprogrammed stations on it and I can switch with one push of a button. I would go absolutely crazy without it. If I forget it I return home as it is like I forgot the keys to the mower.
When the battery dies I stop immediately and get a new one. It is a valueable piece of equipment and I have been doing that for 10 years!

shepoutside
11-13-2004, 09:25 AM
THinkin................

Did I forget my Wife's Birthday, our Anniversary, Was I to pick up the kids, Do we need beer(groceries) to be picked up, Did I really tell her that dress made her look fat, Do I have the roller bed, ready, in the garage, am I going nuts, why am I talking to myself, Why am I singing s-a-t-u-r-d-a-y , Did I turn the auto bilge on, in my boat, last time at the cottage, Dose Christine Brinkley still love me............

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC.
11-13-2004, 09:41 AM
I usually find myself singing in my head the tune I just heard on the radio before getting out of the truck. Weird thing though, my GF had her Sarah McLachlan CD in the truck from the night before. I did not know it was in there, turned on the radio, CD player starts and I was listening to this CD. I gotta tell ya, it is kind of soothing after dealing with the general public all day or your famous PITAs and wishing you had more business so you could dump their asses. I was having a real crappy morning that day and for some reason, this CD brought me peace of mind and kept me from going off my rocker that day. Pretty talented lady with a great voice. Although I was not a fan before, she got me that day. GF has not gotten that CD back yet either. Its kind of like my squeezing rubber stress ball. But if anyone asks, Im a rocker ok? :angel:

Smithers
11-13-2004, 10:25 AM
I am with Brey. to me, it is unbelievably easy to start thinking about useless, pointless things at the snap of a finger. sometimes, i think of 25 different topics in about a minute. not finishing the complete thought, just skipping from topic to topic. no idea why.

most of the time, i think about the last thing/action that caught my attention - what the customer said, how edging while the grass is wet really stinks, the crap i have to put up with at my real job. how i wish i was a full time LCO, but most likely not be able to put food on my table with the 4 clients i have, etc

How can you guys hear the radios? I have earplugs and earmuffs to reduce the noise coming from the equipment. If i had a radio, it would have to be louder than the equipment itself. It would sound like a sub in a truck cab. You'd go deaf in no time

Smithers
11-13-2004, 10:26 AM
Oh yeah.....Davis, you are a rocker, all right.

Did you close the windows and started singing outloud and crying? :p

j/k

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC.
11-13-2004, 10:41 AM
Just about. Gotta have the windows up and the air on when listening to that stuff. Once I turn 30 I think I will be ok, can have the windows down then, just not loud though. After watching that Motormouth show on VH1 Im scared now though. However, I dont think Owosso, Michigan has made the cut to be on the show though. I think my GF and her music is starting to turn me into some sensitive dude. Liking music that never would have caught my attention 5 years ago. If I start this, I dont know what I will do ------> :cry:

Expert Lawns
11-13-2004, 01:14 PM
I had the song from Boogie Nights in my head ALL day. The one that goes "feel.....feel....feel....................MY HEAT"

anyone know what i'm talking about?

MMLawn
11-13-2004, 01:53 PM
I usually drift out when something catches my eye. For instance I had a 73 Trans-Am in Highschool with the 4 speed 454 one bad mojo and saw a Porsche that looked like one that I beat back then.

HUH? ;) 454 was/is a Chevy GM engine size (and I know because I had a '72 Chevy Corvette Stingray with that 454 that would have SMOKED that TA. :waving: The TA being a Pontiac GM would have had either a 400 or a 455 as that was the Pontiac GM engine sizes (unless you put a chevy engine in it).

Timbo
11-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Dumb songs and sex.

tinman
11-13-2004, 02:04 PM
THinkin................

Did I forget my Wife's Birthday, our Anniversary, Was I to pick up the kids, Do we need beer(groceries) to be picked up, Did I really tell her that dress made her look fat, Do I have the roller bed, ready, in the garage, am I going nuts, why am I talking to myself, Why am I singing s-a-t-u-r-d-a-y , Did I turn the auto bilge on, in my boat, last time at the cottage, Dose Christine Brinkley still love me............
:) That's me too, so I HAVE to have my radio with me or I worry about all kinds of stupid stuff!

Itsgottobegreen
11-13-2004, 02:24 PM
Same as above.

Get a set of Peltors. You will not only stay sane, but your day will go by quicker !
Only reason why I bought a set. I had a customer stop and told me I was talking to myself while mowing.

I have a difference of what I think about. See there is tractor thinking and lawn mower thinking. Let me explain.

Lawn mower - work, what customers need what, bills, new equipment I need(I mean toys I want), what to do for the rest of the week, figuring how to go about moving out of my parents house. :drinkup:

Tractor - very important decisions thinking time. All important decisions are made here. It was on top of my kubota when I decided to purpose to my girlfriend. Since then, its only been about doing "bad things" with her.

She always asks me weather I am going to be on the tractor at work or my stander when I leave for work. I wonder why?????? :rolleyes:

burnandreturn
11-13-2004, 02:53 PM
I think about what the next Calender Girl is gonna look like! :cool2:

Bray
11-13-2004, 03:03 PM
HUH? ;) 454 was/is a Chevy GM engine size (and I know because I had a '72 Chevy Corvette Stingray with that 454 that would have SMOKED that TA. :waving: The TA being a Pontiac GM would have had either a 400 or a 455 as that was the Pontiac GM engine sizes (unless you put a chevy engine in it).

You are right 4 speed 455.

Turfdude
11-13-2004, 04:49 PM
My God does she look good. Oh my, what I'd like to do to her. Why couldn't I have gone in the backyard first, I would have seen her w/ her top off for sure sunbathing along side of her pool. Who's yer daddy...

KCLandscape
11-13-2004, 05:42 PM
Sarah McLachlan CD = marriage prep
Just wait until you are past 30 with a bun in the oven! Nothing like that to motivate you...
oh yea, I like the Ipod loaded with all sorts of jammy stuff

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC.
11-14-2004, 11:50 AM
She is University of Michigan grad.....why am I surprised she listens to this music
Probably will get married at some point
Once you turn 21, no other birthdays to look forward to until 36 when I can run for President........LOL
Getting an Ipod for christmas I do believe.....gotta load it with tons of crap

Freshcut Lawn Care
11-14-2004, 11:57 AM
Retirement!!! :p

t j lawn care
11-14-2004, 12:09 PM
It is the most relaxing time for me.

rodfather
11-14-2004, 01:52 PM
All kinds of different stuff...business, personal, songs and videos I've seen recently. This time of the year I am always thinking about getting through the leaf season and relaxing some before worrying about the snow plowing business that is right around the corner.

Travis Followell
11-14-2004, 02:43 PM
When I mow I think about lawnmowers.

Norm Al
11-14-2004, 07:31 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35960&item=2284249548&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

crawdad
11-14-2004, 08:30 PM
When I mow I think about lawnmowers.
I think about grass.
You and I are the only ones, it seems, who are paying attention to our work.
Be one with your lawnmower. "Ommmmmmmmmm."
Crawdad

Itsgottobegreen
11-14-2004, 09:27 PM
I think about grass.
You and I are the only ones, it seems, who are paying attention to our work.
Be one with your lawnmower. "Ommmmmmmmmm."
Crawdad

Wait I said I think about work.

Lawn mower - work, what customers need what, bills, new equipment I need(I mean toys I want), what to do for the rest of the week, figuring how to go about moving out of my parents house. :drinkup: :

Yes I am one with my lawn mower. Thats why I can let my mine think about other things. Instead of using all my brain power on trying to get those stripes perfectly straight. Swear some days I just am along for the ride, them machine is just driving itself.

bugspit
11-14-2004, 09:34 PM
I think about each blade of grass being a terrorist head and "it's" body being buried up to it's neck.

No, not really...just a pleasant thought.

a a green
11-14-2004, 09:59 PM
Um...I gotta Pee ,man thinking back that was dumb, I can't remember her name,dinner is gonna be good tonight,oh man remember that time? good gollie keep jogging girl, wonder what their problem is, la la la la la, wow nice car, no that woman can't be with that guy... Ok maybe she is...he must be rich.I am hungry,whats goin on with that ol buddy,they cant be real!!,man that beer is gonna taste good tonight, I better stop and eat something, and pee...what I have only been on the mower 4 hours oh well I still gotta pee....

See I am on a mower between 8 and 11 hours a day for the one job we have so I think of a lot. but one thing I keep comming back to is I gotta eat and Pee....lol

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC
11-16-2004, 04:02 AM
I usually just pay attention to what I'm doing, but that's just me...

John Gamba
11-16-2004, 06:31 AM
Getting on this at the end of the season :cool:

John

Dig,Yard,Dirt
11-16-2004, 07:54 AM
Guys, This is the best opportunity to pray and talk to God!!! I love to pray while mowing, its probably my favorite quite time. :angel:

grassaholic
11-16-2004, 10:34 AM
I usually think about all the improvements that could be made to my mowers. It doesn't matter if it's my Scag, Walker, or Exmark none of them perform the way I think they should. I also think about Jetskiing, riding my CBR, and of course sex! I'm usually thinking about the latest motorcycles, jetskis, 4 wheelers, dirtbikes, and how I don't make enough money.

Smalltimer1
11-16-2004, 11:53 AM
I think about girls, trucks, mowers, boats, anything fun that I enjoy is what comes to mind. Seems like every time I make a round or row in a yard, every time I pass a certain point, whether it be a tree or flower box, I think about the same thing each time around.

LCME
11-16-2004, 12:17 PM
I think about god, girlfriend, family, etc. Fun stuff like what places I'm going to take my girlfriend next. What is my family doing this week. Think about spending time with my friends. Playing volleyball. Think about vacation and places to go next time.

GreenMonster
11-18-2004, 12:24 AM
I'm usually thinking how much better this is (any landscaping) than my "real" job.

Which, BTW, I hate more and more everyday.

tiedeman
11-18-2004, 01:29 AM
I usually think about the day or week ahead and how I can get the lawns done quicker and easier

Carolina Cutter
11-18-2004, 02:05 AM
Well, its varies. I use the peltors so I usually think about whatever is on the radio....LOL

Work, worldly situations, my worldly situations, how freakin hot it really is, how freakin hot it feels to me, my money, time to complete the job.....etc.

Smithers
11-18-2004, 06:16 PM
greeemonster, what is your real job?

Mycannon
11-18-2004, 07:12 PM
I think about how to better the business and my wife.

Green Care
11-18-2004, 07:21 PM
Did I lockup everything.