PDA

View Full Version : I'm sick of S**T being stolen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

precisioncut
11-12-2004, 10:09 PM
They struck again, this time the mothers took my bagger for my bobcat 36" ($200+). Last time, a couple months ago, they took my hand held blower that I use for a backup ($100+).

I have always left my bag in my open trailer, which most of the time sits behind a locked gate in back yard, with no problems, ever. The one time I had to leave it on the side of the house, which is also out of sight, it gets stolen.

Like I said, I'm so sick of people who do this. I mean, what the hell are they going to use my bag for? I wonder if another landscaper did it?!!

Norm Al
11-12-2004, 10:11 PM
the sad part of your stuff getting stolen is that the crack head will trade it for $5.00 worth of crack or cash from a pawn shop to get the crack!

Norm Al
11-12-2004, 10:13 PM
if you make 6% profit and you get $6000.00 worth of equipment stolen a year you will have to earn $100,000.00 for nothing!

Mo Green
11-12-2004, 10:16 PM
Time to move out of the hood.

precisioncut
11-12-2004, 10:26 PM
I don't live in the hood. 200k+ homes. Commercial props. not far way though. Maybe people are wondering around from them down our street and snagging stuff.

Can you write off stolen stuff?

Norm Al
11-12-2004, 10:28 PM

you will depreciate the stolen property as if you threw it away and when you buy more you will get that depreciation!

get a video camera set up for 24 hour watch!

CharlieBingo
11-12-2004, 10:41 PM
Get a dog. He can ride with you during the day and watch your stuff at night. Just put a nice warm dog house on your lot and if anyone tries to steal anything the barking alone will scare most lowlifes off. My dogs (2 of them) have there own dog door so when they hear something off they go. They have thwarted three attempts. During the day they usually ride with me. When I run into a deli or something I leave the truck running if someone gets by them they can have my truck. I also have a cat she moved in my shed last year ( no more mice eating my seed).

rodbite
11-12-2004, 11:04 PM
I HEAR YA!!!!!

First go out to the Trailer and the Lock on my Extension Ladder is cut!!!!!

Second time all my gas cans gone!!!

Man that SH** angers me bad. If i catch any SOB i will break some necks.

Rod

beransfixitinc
11-13-2004, 12:42 AM
Man, if i ever had the chance to walk up on somebody in the act of that, I'd just let em run away, although they might be makin off with some other hot property... couple of pieces of hot lead shoved up their arses.

dvmcmrhp52
11-13-2004, 12:46 AM
Simple solution.
Don't give people the opportunity.
Why do you leave equipment out for gutter sludge to confiscate?

ALarsh
11-13-2004, 12:49 AM
Why not have a motion light setup, or a camera? Have a motion light set over your trailer area and a camera recording 24 hrs a day. The light will come on when they come and will be recording. It would probably cost you $150 for the whole setup. If nothing gets stolen, you can re-use the tape so you are not wasting tapes.

Or, even better. Put your trailer in a garage.

tx_angler
11-13-2004, 12:49 AM
I had a truck and trailer stolen with about 14k worth of equipment from a restaurant parking lot. Got the truck back four hours later after it had been ransacked. Cops said they're still looking for the equipment and trailer but it's been almost 2 1/2 years. I kinda think they never did look for any of it. Hell they never finger printed the truck and it cost me $200 cash and a half day of work just to get it out of the impound yard. $500 deductable on the damage to the truck and the insurance only paid 10 cents on the dollar because the equipment was away from the shop.

I have absolutely no use for a thief - and especially one that would steal another man's tools.

Like Toby Keith says:
Grand pappy told my pappy back in my day
Son a man had to answer for the wicked that he'd done
Take all the rope in Texas
Find a tall oak tree, round up all of them bad boys
Hang them high in the street
For all the people to see
:realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

Bray
11-13-2004, 01:38 AM
I had my echo trimmer stolen about a month ago. Had it for a whole two weeks. I did report it just in case it was pawned but I bet I'll never see it again. I lock everything after I use them now. Even the gas cans have a chain running through the handles with enough slack to pour the gas in my equipment. Never again will someone get something from me without cutting my locks or chains.

alpine692003
11-13-2004, 02:13 AM
This is why I ALWAYS, ALWAYS take my power equipment in my garage.. I DONT CARE how tired my guys, I am I always take the extra 5-10mins of unloading the equipment at the end of the day and at the start of the day..

All I leave outside is my open trailer with my shovels, rakes outside.. I dont care if that **** gets stolen, its only like $20-40 so thats okay...

But the power equipment outside? :nono: :nono: :nono:

mowingtowing
11-13-2004, 09:19 AM
i got hit yesterday, some @#$%@&!@&*(@)($#*&@&Y$# stole my brand new 16 hp giant vac leaf loader that was bolted and cabled to the tonge of my trailer. Hadnt even made a payment on it yet.

Ol'time Lawncare
11-13-2004, 09:26 AM
YO DUDE, go to wallmart and get you a camera set up for your PC, its only 100 bucks and you will see the creep who keeps takin your ****! :dizzy:

dishboy
11-13-2004, 09:43 AM
Meet Madalyn, my 90 lb German Shepard and she HATES strangers!

MWE
11-13-2004, 09:57 AM
lock your stuff down and get insurance

desert rose gardening
11-13-2004, 10:14 AM
I was ripped off from another landscaper, they had a good racket going, It was 1979 I was working for a outfit at some condo's theses guys come up to me and they have a new Mc lane edger for sale, $50.00, I got a advance from my boss, bought it put it in the back of my truck laying down so no one would see it, hour later its gone! Im sure they took it and went cross town to do their trick again.

Lawnmedics
11-13-2004, 07:26 PM
We had everything short of the trailer and mower stolen a few months ago. About half has turned up at pawn shops. We had to go around looking for the stuff ourselves. When we found the stuff we called the police and they matched the numbers. Then we got our equipment back. A buddy had told me to wait 30-90 days and the stuff would show up on their shelves. He was right for about 50% of the stuff. Good luck and sorry!

Branching Out
11-13-2004, 09:02 PM
I have a simple answer to cut down on theft....

It would be cheaper to buy an enclosed trailer, then to replace all that equipment

........I know nothing is theft proof....But, it's got to be better than an open trailer.............

Branching out

tx_angler
11-13-2004, 09:31 PM
I have already responded to this thread once but this subject really hits a nerve with me. After having my truck and trailer stolen I found out that, in Texas, you are authorized to "do whatever is necessary to protect yourself, your family or your property". Now, and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night but that seems pretty clear to me.

When I was very young I ďfoundĒ a bicycle and took it home. My dad saw it and asked where I got it. I told him that "I found it and it didnít belong to anyone." Without hesitation, he slapped the crap out of me and then explained that maybe I didnít know whose bicycle it was but I knew it wasnít mine!

Like I said earlier, "I have absolutely no use for a thief - and especially one that would steal another man's tools." When some low life, crack head that is too lazy to get up in the morning to make himself useful decides that he is going to take my equipment to feed his crack habit, I have to assume that he made a decision just like I did when I invested thousands of dollars in the equipment, Risk versus Reward. I risked thousands of dollars to provide a living for my family and myself. There are no guarantees that that will actually happen and I have to work hard everyday to insure that it does, just like every member of this forum. My business model does not include any provisions for feeding a crack habit, does yours?! When the low life makes a decision to steal my tools that I use to provide for my family, he is coming directly between my rice bowl and me. If he steals a blower, trimmer or any equipment, he has decided, in fact, to take food away from my family! Not a smart decision, in my opinion.

I am a combat veteran and have won every gunfight Iíve ever been in. After having the truck and trailer stolen and observing the response from the law enforcement community regarding the theft, I will not hesitate to shoot someone that is attempting to steal from my family or me. The way I see it Iíd be doing a community service and should be given an award or some other recognition for ridding society of some low live that is simply sucking up oxygen that could be put to better use decomposing a compost pile. Therefore, my policy regarding a thief is: SHOOT, SHOVEL AND SHUT UP!

I may catch some crap from the liberals here that Little Johnnie the Thief was raise in a broken home, without a father figure and doesnít know any better but frankly I donít care, your not paying my bills or putting food on my table. If Little Johnnie the Thief is bright enough to figure out that he can pawn a backpack blower for another hit of crack I have to assume he has already planned the Risk verses Reward evaluation regarding the theft of a backpack blower. Unfortunately, he just hasnít planned on meeting me & I do have a plan: SHOOT, SHOVEL AND SHUT UP!

I may have to explain this policy/plan in court one day but I can guarantee you that there will only be one story told in court that day.

battags
11-13-2004, 09:57 PM
get a video camera set up for 24 hour watch!

Better yet, run a 220 volt line to the trailer! :dizzy:

Brian

Palmer Lawn Care
11-13-2004, 11:11 PM
I want to just setup a security camera that records to a hard drive somewhere, I already got a dog to scare the idiots off, but in the future im going to add the camera for some extra protection.

battags
11-14-2004, 02:08 PM
I now have an enclosed shop that I can back my trailer in, unhook, and close the door. Nice, spacious enough, lighted, and secure.

Before I had the shop I used to back the trailer (sometimes still loaded) next to my garage. I put in a motion detector flood light for some security. If I still had to keep stuff outside I would seriously consider investing in one of those remote outdoor camera systems that deer hunters use to scout areas for tree stands. They are infrared or motion activated and some even download onto your computer. Camoflagued to boot!

Brian

proenterprises
11-14-2004, 02:12 PM
i posted a thread about 5 months ago (ctprowler i think) about somone who came up to our house one night looking around. thankfully nothing was taken, they must have been spooked when they tripped off the motion floodlight.

my fathers business has had thefts over the years from jobsites... ladders, handtools, a generator. none of it is ever recovered. everything just has to be under lock and key these days, its sad, but true.

sorry to hear about your theft, it truly is a heartless crime and no one deserves it.

PLM-1
11-15-2004, 12:04 AM
my family owns a storage complex. 2 nights ago someone someone cut the part that the barrel locks go into on the doors with a cutoff saw. we have a lock on every storage unit even the empty ones. they got into 7 of those and then got into my dad's where he keeps his 42' Fountain boat. Thank god we had a tongue and prop locks on it. they tried to saw off the tongue lock but they couldn't get all the way through. Now the gates are shut 24x7. the funny thing is that our security cameras watched the whole time. the guy that broke into them owns the storage complex down the street!

DuallyVette
11-15-2004, 01:00 AM
I use enclosed trailers. We raise the rear ramp door and lock the side doors everytime we take equipment out. About 10 years ago someone snatched a couple of blowers where my guys were working. Afterward the doors must be closed and locked at all times.

Evergreenpros
11-15-2004, 02:16 PM
I don't live in the hood. 200k+ homes. Commercial props. not far way though. Maybe people are wondering around from them down our street and snagging stuff.

These criminals usually have routes they "service". They will drive their routes looking for anything and everything they can steal. When it gets hot (cops watching the areas) they simply change their routes or even move cities for a few months, then they come back if the route is good. It's a job for them.

They know the penalty is minimal and unless somebody actually sees them doing it, they won't be convicted. How in the heck can anybody trace your bagger back to you?? They can't so therefore they can't prove it's stolen. No theft charge. These people are usually picked up and convicted on DRUG RELATED CHARGES not theft. Then they are put in jail for DRUG RELATED CHARGES and people cry because our jails are being filled with people who only "got caught with a few drugs". Soooo they let them out only to steal again. Many people want to make drugs LEGAL, then what in the heck will they nail them on????????

And just try to get that bag back from the criminal even if you saw him take it LOL You'd probably go to jail!!!!!!! You have to have EVIDENCE that it was your bag in the first place and then you have to convince the cops WHY you didn't call them first and WHY you took the "law into your own hands". Don't forget you have to explain WHY you didn't secure the bag.

Evergreenpros
11-15-2004, 02:30 PM
Therefore, my policy regarding a thief is: SHOOT, SHOVEL AND SHUT UP!

Might be better to shoot him/her with a load of rock salt. Then you may be defending yourself against an assault charge (at worst) not a murder charge. Even though the law is in your favor, you still have the burden of proof. This means most likely $100,000+ in attorney's fees to defend against a murder charge, unless you want to take your chances with a public defender.

jbell113
11-15-2004, 05:50 PM
They struck again, this time the mothers took my bagger for my bobcat 36" ($200+). Last time, a couple months ago, they took my hand held blower that I use for a backup ($100+).

I have always left my bag in my open trailer, which most of the time sits behind a locked gate in back yard, with no problems, ever. The one time I had to leave it on the side of the house, which is also out of sight, it gets stolen.

Like I said, I'm so sick of people who do this. I mean, what the hell are they going to use my bag for? I wonder if another landscaper did it?!!

Im curious to know if the stuff that got stolen was taken from your house or were you out working when it got stolen?

battags
11-16-2004, 09:21 PM
Might be better to shoot him/her with a load of rock salt. Then you may be defending yourself against an assault charge (at worst) not a murder charge.

Wouldn't that be 'a salt' charge ? :rolleyes:

Brian
(I'll be performing all week...)