PDA

View Full Version : would you keep a client that you could NEVER upsell?

bobbygedd
11-12-2004, 10:38 PM
first year lawn mowing at her house. gave price for mow, ok we're on. give price for ferts -too high, they hire a local chain to fertilize the weeds in thier lawn. she asks for price on fall leaf cleanup-too high, she used local bean brain for half my price. would you even bother mowing the lawn for her anymore, knowing full well that you can never upsell on anything there?

Norm Al
11-12-2004, 10:40 PM
theres no money in just mowing grass! but you may want to check your prices!

precisioncut
11-12-2004, 10:40 PM
As long as I made money on the mow, I would.

bobbygedd
11-12-2004, 10:41 PM
theres no money in lowering prices...

Norm Al
11-12-2004, 10:47 PM
lowering prices? i was talkin about raising your mowing prices to compensate for the lack of extra work!

many people have crashed hard "jumping to conclusions"

bobbygedd
11-12-2004, 10:51 PM
well then excuuuuuuse me

Evan528
11-12-2004, 10:55 PM
Accounts like that I do not get rid of but at the same time I wont go out of my way for. Any problems and I will drop them at the drop of a hat.

hole in one lco
11-12-2004, 11:09 PM
If i don't make at lest 4,000.00 a year on a prop i wont take the cut. I'm a full service comp if they don't wont to spend the money for a pristine job call little johnny .

WeatherMan
11-12-2004, 11:12 PM
first year lawn mowing at her house. gave price for mow, ok we're on. give price for ferts -too high, they hire a local chain to fertilize the weeds in thier lawn. she asks for price on fall leaf cleanup-too high, she used local bean brain for half my price. would you even bother mowing the lawn for her anymore, knowing full well that you can never upsell on anything there?

After I saw she hired someone else to work on the lawn, I would have backed up my eqipment and :waving: goodbye never to see that property again

fga
11-12-2004, 11:18 PM
well then excuuuuuuse me
Bobby,
norm is very subtle, even he doesn't know what he's saying. that's why he posts pictures.

and if i was making decent money cutting the grass, i would keep it anyway. just cuz they are thrifty, doesn't mean the neighbors are, and their neighbors, etc. etc. sometimes you just need a foot hold on a block before you take it over.

Mo Green
11-12-2004, 11:21 PM
Accounts like that I do not get rid of but at the same time I wont go out of my way for. Any problems and I will drop them at the drop of a hat.
I could't agreee more.

Ray & Karen
11-12-2004, 11:22 PM
If the other guys were the cheapest fertilizing her weeds, and the cheapest to do her leaves, maybe you are the cheapest to do her mowing. I would suggest raising your mowing price next year. If she disagrees move on.....but when she calls back, make her a package deal.

HOOLIE
11-13-2004, 12:47 AM
I guess you're either full-service, all-or-nothing...or you're not. If you don't initially sell 'em on full-service you leave the door open...

Richard Martin
11-13-2004, 04:16 AM
I only do mowing. If I can't get in and get out then they need to call someone who has the time to play with their shrubs. And yes, I make plenty of money and don't work a 80 hours workweek.

lawnman_scott
11-13-2004, 04:24 AM
I only do mowing. If I can't get in and get out then they need to call someone who has the time to play with their shrubs. And yes, I make plenty of money and don't work a 80 hours workweek.
Me too, but I play with the shrubs too, kind of have to down here. But I dont do any cleanups/fert and aviod landscaping. If your not making money on mowing there is a problem.

Envy Lawn Service
11-13-2004, 05:22 AM
If your not making money on mowing there is a problem.

Well said..... I'm sick of reading "there's no money in mowing grass."

Bobby,

In all honesty, are the one's she's hiring for the hard labor doing a good job of making you look good there? If so, then by all means keep the account if you are making good money on it. However, if they were making me look bad or if I had a more profitable account on the waiting list I would drop the account like a bad habit. Business is business and your on the job image is everything!

On a side note, I have one that will be signing for full service next spring or they are getting the axe! Good customer, great profit, trouble free and pays for my minimum accepted service package. I would keep it as-is because the place looks great. But there is a postage stamp next door that is full service.... likely done for advertising. I will not be forced to work another year where the grass is greener on the other side. Not unless I land the postage stamp over the winter and have signs on both....

kickin sum grass
11-13-2004, 07:54 AM
I have been slowly dropping lawns that are not full service. I only have 4 left that are not. They will go this winter. I also never take (as of 2 years ago) a lawn to cut that we do not do the fert on. I had 2 this year that I picked up that did not want us to fert. My comment was as long as nobody ferts it we will mow it but if it gets fert it has to be us doing it. Both I found posting signs in this spring and said see ya.

YardPro
11-13-2004, 08:23 AM
i have some cliets that are basic mow blow and go. the only reason i keep them is becuase they are in two groups. on one street i have 15 yards almost side by side. the other is 10 houses all together.

i would never take a mow blow and go all by itself if there was any amount of windshield time involved

brentsawyer
11-13-2004, 09:25 AM
Hate to say it but I make more money in the summer per day cutting grass than now removing leaves @ $60/hr. And many people are in my boat too according to a recent poll I had on here due to the less workable hours. They just don't admit it. So yes, I'd keep it if it is a good paying mowing account.

bobbygedd
11-13-2004, 09:33 AM
well, it's the only mow i have in her development. her neighbors all use camel as thier main form of transportation. the fert company has the lawn infested with weeds/crabgrass. i don't know how the little boys did on the leaf cleanup, after she told me she hired out, i stopped showing up. the door is still open, cus she keeps calling for "a final grasscut", however i think i'll close that door, and lock it

chefdrp
11-13-2004, 09:36 AM
i would prob. nt do the lawn. someware down the line you will get burned bobby. Another company thats doing the leaves will under bid you 5 bucks. I would hate to see you bring the shovel out.

rodfather
11-13-2004, 09:46 AM
I would probably keep it depending on how big it was and where it is located.

shepoutside
11-13-2004, 09:51 AM
I guess I'm missing something here, Why would you drop anyone, if you took them on in the first place, because they outsource parts of their lawncare, which was agreed upon in the first place? I have mostly full service contracts, but still have some mow 'n blow's, and will keep them till they decide they don't want me. They are happy, and I won't get a reputaion as a company that just didn't show up. I make money off them, and they get the increases just like the rest. Why cut good customers? :dizzy:

dishboy
11-13-2004, 09:55 AM
well, it's the only mow i have in her development. her neighbors all use camel as thier main form of transportation. the fert company has the lawn infested with weeds/crabgrass. i don't know how the little boys did on the leaf cleanup, after she told me she hired out, i stopped showing up. the door is still open, cus she keeps calling for "a final grasscut", however i think i'll close that door, and lock it

Bobby I know your making good money on this account because you are the hightest priced Lawnboy in your area. So you are dumping this account because your feelings got hurt,and now your taking your toys and going home.

bobbygedd
11-13-2004, 10:02 AM
it's not "a good customer." ok, here, i'll help you out, pay attention son: when you aquire a customer , a single stop in a new development, you need to visualize "setting up shop" there. what do i mean by this? make it look nice, sign the neighbors, sign the guy across the street, get the guy on the next block who drove by and noticed the nice looking property. would you take on a job, as an employee, if you knew there would never be any opportunity for advancement? well, you probably would, but i, would not. this is the equivilent of a dead end job. it's impossible to upsell to her. and her neighbors are, let's just say, undesireable. i've wasted enough time going by and talking to her about her leaves, i won't waste another second of my time. if you want to make real money doing this donkey work, you better look at the big picture, which is full service on every client. this holds true for MY MARKET , which consists of 2-8 k properties. now, if i'm like rod, mowing 2 acre properties for $300 a cut, it's a different ballgame all together.

BryPaulD
11-13-2004, 10:06 AM
LOL @ "o.k. I'll help you out, pay attention son" Kind of like I refer to the rooster to my kids. " I say, I say looky here boy". Anyway, I would keep mowing for her and point out crap the others are doing wrong and that you could do better.

shepoutside
11-13-2004, 10:07 AM
would you even bother mowing the lawn for her anymore, knowing full well that you can never upsell on anything there?
This was your question, was it not? We post replies based on what you post. Yes, based on the above, keep her :)

bobbygedd
11-13-2004, 12:52 PM
well then i thank you sir. and remember, pay attention, you just may learn something

MMLawn
11-13-2004, 01:04 PM
when you aquire a customer , a single stop in a new development, you need to visualize "setting up shop" there. what do i mean by this? make it look nice, sign the neighbors, sign the guy across the street, get the guy on the next block who drove by and noticed the nice looking property. if you want to make real money doing this donkey work, you better look at the big picture,.

<b>BAM!! Exactly what it is all about to prosper in this business!!</b>

wayne volz
11-13-2004, 01:04 PM
I would keep the mowing account as long as you are profitable with the mowing. It's always best to get the add-ons, but as long as you are making the profit margins you need on the mowing; keep doing it until something better comes along.

Norm Al
11-13-2004, 03:22 PM
what were we talking about?

turf9
11-13-2004, 04:03 PM
witch way to to beach?

Norm Al
11-13-2004, 05:25 PM
theres a "witch" at the beach?

Turfdude
11-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Two points to be made here.

First - Although BG had goo intentions (get 1 prop in new neighborhood make it look good, perhaps you'll get more) - that doesn't happen a whole lot anymore, esp in Jersey where as he has so well put it everyone is a landscaper (market is saturated.

As for this account - only one in area, not extras - dump it because it is a single stop w/ say 30 cuts @$30 - upgrade to a $30 property in a more tightly knit route area w/ extras and the profit margin goes way up. Just don't totally cut the client off till you tell them, that this is your SOP, so then they have to decide - do they want a pristine prop, or do they just wnat the blow & go idiots, large impersonal know nothing fert guys & leaves removed whenever for no $. Balls in their court - are they willing to step up??