PDA

View Full Version : Had my name changed today.

RedWingsDet
11-12-2004, 11:25 PM
Well, as you know It was Premier Landscaping, but someone already has it in the area, plus I wanted a name so it would make it more personal with the customers. So i had it changed to Marks Premier Landscaping, LLC. I like that name better now, plus the LLC, its alot better than just the DBA I had for Premier Landscaping...

Anyway, the LLC is way better and only $50 (if you do it yourself, i dont understand why people pay hundreds of dollars for an LLC when they can drive to our state capital and get it for $50).

anyway what do you guys think... Good choice of Marks Premier Landscaping LLC. I was thinking Premier Landscaping Contractors or Big Marks Landscaping, but there is already Crazy Joes and Little M's landscaping, so i really didnt want Big Marks. lol. Anyway, what you guys think. Only downfall is I have to get my trucks re-done, but its actually better because now it'll say LLC :) I like the Mark infront better because it gives the customers a more personal feeling IMO. (like Three C's compared to Landscape Services, i'd pick three c's if I were a customer because i'd just feel a closer relationship with the owner even though you'd never meet him) JMO, whatcha think?

HOOLIE
11-12-2004, 11:34 PM
Did the discover the duplicate name on your own, or did the other LCO bring it to your attention?

RedWingsDet
11-12-2004, 11:38 PM
Did the discover the duplicate name on your own, or did the other LCO bring it to your attention?

actually my brother told me a while back, and just now like 10min ago METRO pmed me about it, so i just figured i'd share with yall. Thats funny though, the day I changed it someone PM's me about it. What a kawinkidink.

HOOLIE
11-12-2004, 11:51 PM
It's good you caught this now. I know a guy that owns an auto repair shop. He only works on Volvo's, so he had "Volvo" in his company name. After 6 or 7 years Volvo found out about this, and he had to come up with a new name. He sent letters to everyone he ever did work for so they would know he hadn't gone out of business. It was a lot of work and $$ to make the change.

RedWingsDet
11-12-2004, 11:56 PM
It's good you caught this now. I know a guy that owns an auto repair shop. He only works on Volvo's, so he had "Volvo" in his company name. After 6 or 7 years Volvo found out about this, and he had to come up with a new name. He sent letters to everyone he ever did work for so they would know he hadn't gone out of business. It was a lot of work and $$ to make the change.

yea, whats what I was thinking... see, my bro pointed this out to me a little while back, and my dad said something about it last week, and my dad went to register his business so I asked him sense he was going to Lansing to change mine too. Plus ALL of my customers know my trucks, and know my name is mark, so "Mark's Premier Landscaping, LLC" should only help me. :-D

But howcome when I went to get my DBA in March they didnt tell me Premier Landscaping was taken?

HOOLIE
11-13-2004, 12:05 AM
I wasn't sure how it all worked when I first started. I live in an incorporated town in Virginia, so I had to get the biz license thru the town. The clerk asked me if I'd checked with the county clerk to make sure the name wasn't being used. I was like "Oh, yeah, of course..." Then I made a beeline to the county clerks office to search the database and register the name.

Although in Virginia a biz name under a sole proprietorship is not "protected". You have to incorporate your business to do so. So someone could still come along and steal my name.

Lawn-Scapes
11-13-2004, 08:54 AM
It sounds like you really like it.. so that's all that really matters. Congratulations!

Is it Marks without the 's?

Freshcut Lawn Care
11-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Mark...I agree with you.

I like the new name! :)

You can just add the name "Mark" over the original name on your truck and add the LLC at the bottom!

Good Luck!
:waving:

LwnmwrMan22
11-13-2004, 11:10 PM
Yep, just add "Marks" in a scroll type letter at an up angle right to the top left of the "Premier Landscaping", and then LLC in smaller letters just to the bottom right, you're all set.

And yeah, same question as someone else posted. Personally, I'd make sure the " 's " is after Mark, instead of just Mark"S". Should read Mark's Premier Landscaping. Unless you've got a hitman after you, then it could read Marks Premier Landscaping.

Just .02 getting thrown in.

Metro Lawn
11-14-2004, 02:03 AM
Mark, found out that the other one is located in Livionia. They would have registered in Wayne County. That is why you were not told. You could have run under the original name, but with both of you working in the same metro area... could have caused problems later on. Geez, I registered Metro Detroit Landscaping & Metro Lawn Service. I have Metro Landscaping located less than a mile from me, and there is a Metro Lawn Maintenance in Shelby.

mtdman
11-14-2004, 04:15 AM
I've been considering a name change as well. There's a business close to me that has a name that's close to mine, but different enough that I was able to do the LLC thingy last year. I've had the name registered in my county since 1996, but I don't know about this guy. So far we've not come across each other, and I'd like to keep it that way. At the same time, I have had people tell me about him. He works in Inkster, I think. I've been considering the name change for a while, because of that and because I'd like to have a more professional name, and really the business has changed since my partner left last year. I'd be able to keep my customers now, but all the name recognition I've built would be gone. And next year is my 10th year, as well. Just not sure if I should do it.

BTW, Mark, I hope you did do the 's in Mark's.

RedWingsDet
11-14-2004, 08:51 AM
Thanks guys. and yes there is a ' in Mark's. :)

Im sorry to hear that MTD that would be a tough transisition, because for me its only my first year, and all of my customers know my name so they will probably think of it as the same... but for you, I would try to have the other guy change his name, it seems like hes newer so therefore it'd be less harsh on him.

good luck.

Metro, that stinks too. What website is it that you can find the names of local business?

CamLand
11-14-2004, 09:46 AM
Registering your name with the state will save you many headaches,Also you are supposed to be registered in every county that you work in...

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC.
11-14-2004, 11:56 AM
Was not even a question with me, getting an LLC was the first thing I thought of from my Accounting Major days back in college. $50.00 over in Lansing, just south of Meridian Mall about 4 miles.

Davis Lawn Mowing, LLC.
11-14-2004, 12:08 PM
http://www.mi.gov/som/0,1607,7-192-29943_31408---,00.html

Go to business look up if the link works or you just might be able to search from there.

rodfather
11-14-2004, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=Anyway, the LLC is way better and only $50 (if you do it yourself, i dont understand why people pay hundreds of dollars for an LLC when they can drive to our state capital and get it for $50).[/QUOTE]

For the simple fact how would you know that going the LLC route is the right way to go? Maybe you should be a C Corp? Maybe S? I had no idea what way to go years ago until I wisely spent the time with my attorney and my CPA and asked questions. Glad I did. Originally, I thought Inc. was the way my business should be setup. I was completely wrong. Under my circumstances, LLC was the best choice.

So that is why spending $$$ to talk with a professional IMO is the correct thing to do.

mtdman
11-14-2004, 06:43 PM
Thanks guys. and yes there is a ' in Mark's. :)

Im sorry to hear that MTD that would be a tough transisition, because for me its only my first year, and all of my customers know my name so they will probably think of it as the same... but for you, I would try to have the other guy change his name, it seems like hes newer so therefore it'd be less harsh on him.

good luck.

Actually, it doesn't matter. His name is different enough that the state allowed him to register it. I sorta want to change my name as well, not real crazy about it. I don't think it would cause a problem with my customers now, maybe a little with new customers, I dunno.