PDA

View Full Version : Another reason not to charge for leaves by the hour

HOOLIE
11-13-2004, 02:00 AM
Customer called me yesterday "How much do I owe you for the last round of leaves? I'm out here doing some more now (Veteran's Day, she's off work). Right now I am part of the downtrodden, the stepped-upon, charger of leaves by the hour. Next year new policies will be in place, a total price for the season. Too late now. I am sure if she was paying a flat rate she wouldn't be out on her day off "helping" me.

RedWingsDet
11-13-2004, 02:01 AM
thats why I charge by tarp! $35 a tarp, minimum 2 tarps.

HOOLIE
11-13-2004, 02:06 AM
Still though, a customer could do some of the work and leave you with less money. Only a fixed price can ensure that they won't lift a finger. Now this particular customer, you'd have to see her property, I don't know what she can do with a rake and some bags, she's clearly outgunned.

BobR
11-13-2004, 08:59 AM
You try to help out the customer by charging only for time worked and they try to weasel you down in price with their getting involved in the task at hand = NOT COOL
Charging a flat rate for the job will certainly put an end to that practice just be sure to consult your records when figuring out what that flat rate will be and maybe building in a % for aggravation.
I personally only charge a flat rate but NONE of my customers want to pick up a rake, that is why they have hired the job done.

BobR

brentsawyer
11-13-2004, 09:21 AM
The way I have figured and told customers is that I have done lawns 5-6 times faster with my equipment vs. the there method. Since I charge a flat hourly rate $60, I tell them I hope your time is worth more than $10-12.50 per hour. Mostly all agree, a few will do a little and the majority of those after a little while realize its not worth it. The ones that do there own completely, I make up for with fall only cleanup customers only who call me late summer to make sure that I'll be cleaning their lawns in the fall.