PDA

View Full Version : School Bids

Travis Followell
11-13-2004, 01:56 PM
When you all are submitting bids what do you put on the paper or what format do you use is what i'm asking? Do you just write the bid on a piece of paper and put it in an envelope or do you tell about your company or what? Do you put the number of cuts per month and how many months you will be mowing? I need help because I have never submitted a bid before and really want to do it right so I will get the job. It is for the county schools.

tiedeman
11-13-2004, 05:12 PM
I would submit as much information as possible, but also show up at the board meeting when they are opening the bids to help with the selling process

YardPro
11-13-2004, 06:04 PM
most schools have a bid spec sheet.
here they do it county wide. is't about a $180K/year contract

cleancutccl
11-13-2004, 06:52 PM
My bids are a three page writeup. First I give a background information on the company (education, experience, motto, mission, etc.), the next sheet explains what machinery we have and explains payment plans for contracts, the third sheet is the actual bid, done on a duplicate copy, that has everything that I can possibly write out specifically about the property. The more you can write down and show on an estimate the more likely you will get the contract and the less likely you will get burned after the contract signing for something that you had not bid on.

LwnmwrMan22
11-13-2004, 11:05 PM
most schools have a bid spec sheet.
here they do it county wide. is't about a $180K/year contract

YardPro -

Do you know for CERTAIN it's about 180k / year? Or are you taking a gander that it's that price because it looks like a lot of mowing??

If it IS $180 / year, how many schools is that??

I maintain about 90 acres for the school district here in MN, and we're hard pressed to get $35,000 for 22 weeks of mowing up here.

Sam-Ohio
11-13-2004, 11:13 PM
How can your schools take competative bids if they don't have a written "spec" sheet or bid package of what the contract consists of ?

It is their responsibility to write up the bid specs. Acreages of each property, number of mowings expected, other services like fertilizing, aerating the playing fields, over seeding, hedge and shrub trimming, any mulching or flower beds to maintain, edging, ETC, ETC, ETC.

They should specify a minimum amount of liability insurance you must carry, and they could require that you buy a performance bond.

It is normal for them to ask for a "description" of your company that would tell the number of your employees, what equipment you have available to handle the job they are bidding etc.,and sometimes even a financial statement, so that they can award the contract to a solid company that they believe will have the ability to perform up to the full extent of the contract.

Unless something like this is done, so that everyone bidding all understands exactly what is required and when and how often it is required, it isn't possible to have a competative bid process. It's just a bunch of good old boys slipping a job to one of their friends.

YardPro
11-14-2004, 09:34 AM
YardPro -

Do you know for CERTAIN it's about 180k / year? Or are you taking a gander that it's that price because it looks like a lot of mowing??

If it IS $180 / year, how many schools is that??

I maintain about 90 acres for the school district here in MN, and we're hard pressed to get $35,000 for 22 weeks of mowing up here.

i know

it's 12 schools, it's county wide.

it takes the company doing them a crew of 4 guys working 60 hours a week to mow them all. The company uses a 12' cut toro bat wing, two 72' kubota ZT's.

they do all the football and baseball fields, parking areas, septic areas.

most of the schools here have LARGE volumes of turf to mow.

also we have a 7 month season here

sounds like the low ballers have driven the prices way down.