PDA

View Full Version : new methods for leaves.

stevesmowing
11-13-2004, 09:43 PM
I use to use a 8hp push blower and my helper used a backback and blew the leaves to the curb for the town to pick-up. Now I have been using my super z and he has still used the backpack. I mow so that everything gets blown to the road with the mower and what I can't get he gets with the backpack. The piles r about 1/3 as big as they use to be, and the lawns are spotless when I am down. If the leaves get too tall I stop the blades, lower the deck low, about 2" and with the blades off and the sideshoot down I use the mower as a plow and push them to the road. I know many of you probley have better methods that you like, but I just thought I would share what I found that works well. Oh yea the reason I like the super z for this is that it goes 7.5mph in reverse.

GFTC
11-13-2004, 10:28 PM
That's funny, I did a cleanup by myself today and used the exact same method with my 60" Country Clipper. Worked out pretty good, until I had to load the leaves (city doesn't pick up here). I filled an 8'x6'x4' box on the front of my trailer. Lots of shoveling with the grain shovel.
Brandon

LawnBoy89
11-13-2004, 11:29 PM
Wait. So all you have to do is put the leaves near the curb, no bag, and they pick them up?

horseman201
11-13-2004, 11:33 PM
This year I made life alittle easier on my back. I took the front of my trailor and built a box to dump the leaves into. I took a piece of sheet metal and made a U shape [looking at side of trailer] . I now can back my zero turn, with a vac on the back, up a ramp from the floor of the trailer and dump the leaves in my new box. After dumping I can rack the leaves in a garbage can [with bag] and get the leaves bagged that way. The U shape is funneled to where I can get the leaves in the bags easier. Works graet so far but hard to explain how it is made in words.

impactlandscaping
11-13-2004, 11:36 PM
I wish we could do this here in Morgantown. I could do twice as many cleanups in a day without vacuuming them up in the truck. Our city has three huge vac trucks, and the only time they use them is for code enforcement violations. It's a $ 100.00 first offense fine for leaves in the gutter /ditch / street area in front of your house, and they like to enforce it in certain neighborhoods. We have been doing a lot of the weekly cleanups by blowing everything into the lawn, mulching with the Standers, then bagging with Grassgobblers and dipersing the fine material left over into the lawns. My vac has been busy on a few larger properties, and I was thinking of buying a second for next year, but may stick with extending the usefulness of the Standers past mowing season.

Smithers
11-13-2004, 11:41 PM
you guys have good ideas, but take some pictures and post them. it's hard to visualize what you are talking about.

Steve, have you looked at the JRCO leaf plow? I think you were doing the same thing, but without the plow.

stevesmowing
11-13-2004, 11:48 PM
yes i have looked at the plow I am going to go check out the site again though. I might get one for next year. Any ideas what these cost? The only time I "plow" is when i am mowing the leaves all toward the curb and they get 2 high. It takes very little time and then back to mowing the leaves all towards the road. Even when if its windy this method works much better than just blowing them b/c they don't fly all over.

stevesmowing
11-13-2004, 11:59 PM
does anyone know with the JRCO leaf rakes on a ztr how you raise and lower them? If you don't get all the leaves on the first pass, will u end up pulling them back? Do they tear up the grass at all? or do they ride right above the surface? They seem awesome.

Albemarle Lawn
11-14-2004, 12:00 AM
Sounds like a good price to me. I'd take them up on it as often as possible!

Around here, up until 2002 the city would fine you $15 for letting your grass get too tall, and then they would sent a crew out to cut it. What a bargain....it was a favorite of the local slumlords. Now the fee is $75 but its still a great deal if your grass is 3' high....most LCO's would get $150 or more. (1/4 acre lots). :p

impactlandscaping
11-14-2004, 12:08 AM
Yeah, $ 100.00 for the first offense isn't too bad, but the subsequent $250.00 and $ 500.00 fines are the ones that suck.. :p I have a few properties by a local park that I would gladly let the city vac for $ 100.00 each time..lol..As far as the city ordinances for lawns, there pretty much is no enforcement on rentals..go figure.

barringtonbrothers
11-14-2004, 12:25 AM
We do pretty much the same thing. We blow the leaves out into a pile and then one of us runs a mower while the other one runs a back pack. We reduce them down to about one forth their original size then load then into the truck. We mulch them down to basically powder and we still pack the truck in two averages jobs. Man I wish I had a dump bed, maybe next year. I am really impressed with my exmark - it slandered blades mulches leaves down in 1/5 the amount of time compared to my toro z with gators or my toro 36inch wb with double gators. I am really impressed by the exmark deck, it is by far the best deck I have ever used. I also mounted my billygoat leaf loader on a little garden cart so I could load and unload it from my trailer and not have to leave it out in the weather. Before I had it lag bolted to my trailer and even with a tarp it was still exposed to the elements. If I get time I will snap some shots and post them of my leaf collection set up.