PDA

View Full Version : Out-front or Mid Mount Zero-turn

Zmaster25
11-13-2004, 11:14 PM
I am thinking about buying a good commercial zero-turn. I was wandering what are some of the advantages and disadvantages of both. I will be cutting on hills(slopes) and there are many inconsistencies in the ground level. So i was wandering if the out fronts really had floating decks, but i don't see how i would scalp the grass without and anti-scalp wheels. Thanks for your time!

stevesmowing
11-13-2004, 11:33 PM
the anti scarp rollers should not be touching the ground while you are mowing. Depending on the model some may be off the ground a bit. Therefore the deck can lower down until the roller hits the ground. They make it harder not to scarp but it it still possible. BTW this is with my experience with mid-mounts. However I think an out front would be similar. One feature I like for a mower to have is a foot lift for the deck. That way if the ground is higher somewhere or w/e u can lift it up and still have 2 hands on the controls.

Travis Followell
11-14-2004, 09:21 AM
With a front mount you are less likely to scalp because the deck floats up and down and side to side. Wev have both and the front mount doesn't scalp as bad as the mid mount. The front mounts are a lot easier to service because you can flip the deck up 90 degrees for easy cleaning and you can easily remove the blades. The bad thing about the front mounts is that they are longer than a mid mount so in some cases it could require you to get another trailer. They are also a lot more expensive. They are usually about $1000 more than a mid mount in the same size.