PDA

View Full Version : Competition

danslawncare
11-13-2004, 10:32 PM
Do any of you ever worry about not being able to find work? At least where i live, you can't drive down the road without seeing 5 landscape/lawncare crews. I'm only 18, and have 25 clients. I want to do this a a career, but am always worried no one will like my work...or i'll price too high. I always get repeat business...only 1 person mad at me in 3 years. What do you think?

Thanks,
Dan

impactlandscaping
11-13-2004, 10:42 PM
Dan, you have to accept the fact you will not win every bid or every lawn you quote. If you do, you are going to burn out so quickly, you won't know what hit you. Take the good and the bad , hand in hand, and all will work out in the end. Don't worry about your prices, make sure to make a profit, don't try and get every job no matter what the cost to you. It's hard wanting to win every bid , but it just doesn't happen. Do good work, get set up legally , and advertise. There are a broad range of landscape contractors with a broad range of pricing as well. You will find you fit into someone's needs better than you think, regardless of what you are charging.BTW-Sounds like you're off to a good start. Godd luck!

mtdman
11-14-2004, 04:19 AM
My philosophy has always been I don't want every job, I don't want every possible customer, I don't want to be the only guy around, and competition is good. If you have quality work, a good reputation, and people are happy you will have work. Don't worry about every guy with a lawnmower. If you build a business that competes on a higher level, the weekend lawn guy won't be a competitor of yours, just other weekend lawn guys.

dcondon
11-14-2004, 09:13 AM
we never worry about finding work. If you do a great job people start talking and thats one of the best ways!!!

CuttingCrew
11-14-2004, 09:32 AM
Treat your customers the way you would want to be treated. Cut their lawn the way you would want yours cut. (or better) Know your expenses so you are sure your running a profitable business. The work will keep coming.
Let the competition worry about you!
Sounds like you have a good start.
Good luck!

danslawncare
11-14-2004, 03:26 PM
thanks guys

Mo Green
11-14-2004, 06:36 PM
If you provide quality service and take care of your custmers, you will always be sucessful. You won't have to find customers, they will find you.

Kelly's Landscaping
11-14-2004, 06:55 PM
.Only five other crews you got light I probably see if I actually opened my eyes and counted 150-200 different companies a week that cross my path. One guy has a WB and no truck he drives from site to site on the back of that mower with a wacker a backpack and 2 gas cans on top of the deck

And what does all that mean to me absolutely nothing as far as I am concerned they work because I allow them to. You can get as big or stay as small as you want in this business. There are lots of whales out there that can out spend you and under bid you if they choose too so you canít worry about them if they are going to move in they will. Just do what it is you want and if you need to adapt then you do that and keep working thereís always more jobs out there. The only people that will end up failing in this trade are the ones that refused to change when all the signs said they should as long as your flexible you will survive anything.

Lawnchoice
11-14-2004, 07:11 PM
What is competition?

Wink wink !!

J Hisch
11-14-2004, 08:44 PM
This industry will continue to grow. If you are gettin repeat business and referral you will be fine just keep your debts down.

chuckers
11-14-2004, 11:17 PM
hey im from illinois to were are you located? i have wondered about it but if you do quality work dont be scared and if you have been at it for 3 years im sure you are doing good work i wouldnt be scared about being put out. I have also learned to that if you talk to competition they are always friendly well most of the time. I always ask my clients if they are happy with my work every now and then. If they arent you can always correct it. :cool2:

ICE
11-14-2004, 11:31 PM
Dan,

You know what I think? Competition - My defintion is that it is what keeps us sharp and on top of our game. Yes, in fact there will be the guy out there that will do it for less, but if you do it for just a few bucks more and do a quality service, then I am sure that the customer will not be out shopping around. The competition keeps us looking over our shoulders. Face it, if you let up, you lose. I think I have seen that in someones sig line here. That is just the facts of this biz.
I also think that after a few years of doing what you do, then you may need to expand your services to include whatever else your customers may want. If they want a fert guy or a chem guy, then offer those services as well. Myself, this is my first year, but I would say that by my fifth year, I will be doing just that. Hopefully I will still be on my toes and looking behind me to make sure that I am still ahead of the game! :cool2:

Tim

YardPro
11-20-2004, 08:57 AM
competition brings out the best in people
that's why we keep score.....