PDA

View Full Version : How long will a mixed herbicide last?

toxic man
11-13-2004, 10:56 PM
I have been wondering, how long after mixing up a solution, say msma or even round up, will the solution last before it looses it's efficacy?

What personal experiences do you all have?

As always, thanks
lou
Weed solutions

kickin sum grass
11-14-2004, 06:13 PM
I have had round up freeze overwinter in a tank and then use it in the spring and work just fine.
Broadleafs seem to loose power after a few days, sometimes I might spike it if it happens to sit around for much longer than that.
The big one I have had problems with is Primo Maxx. It looses power fast. I try to make sure I use it all in one day. I can notice a difference if it has been sitting for a day.
Msma, drive, manage all seem to do ok after a couple of days.
As with any mix sitting it is very important to mix it up well before using.

Rtom45
11-15-2004, 11:50 AM
I believe you can get more exact information from the label of the chemicals you are using. If not the label, then the little booklet that comes with chemicals when you purchase them.

bobbygedd
11-15-2004, 02:48 PM
the answer here is pretty sophisticated. i know the answer, but, 99 out of 100 people will not know how to answer this question. i assume ric, maybe runner, and turfdude has an outside chance at getting it right.

trying 2b organic
11-15-2004, 07:39 PM
I dont know the answer but would love to. There is nothing on the label, from the label and supplier they can only say things like "proper disposal" which when pressed translates into dump whereever. I dont really want to dump a leftover half gallon, I would rather keep and re-use.
I mostly use 3 way and roundup, need tips and experience on shelf life.

bobbygedd
11-15-2004, 07:42 PM
well, where is the mighty ant killer? he has to know. he must know.

Ric
11-15-2004, 08:00 PM
well, where is the mighty ant killer? he has to know. he must know.

BooBy Sweetheart

The might Ant Killer would love to answer the question. However I prefer to stay away from broad based question. There are many factor in how long a chemical retains it efficacy. Manage the herbicide will stay viable for about 4 hours after mixing. Carbamate insecticide might stay viable for several weeks.

bobbygedd
11-15-2004, 08:04 PM
give me one factor ric, just one. in fact, give me the factor that matters MOST in the active life span of a pesticide mixed from concentrate. this factor can cause the lifespan to be as low as EIGHT SECONDS!!!

Ric
11-15-2004, 08:09 PM
give me one factor ric, just one. in fact, give me the factor that matters MOST in the active life span of a pesticide mixed from concentrate. this factor can cause the lifespan to be as low as EIGHT SECONDS!!!

BooBy Almost

That would be the inverse proportion of the Hydrogen Ion.

bobbygedd
11-15-2004, 08:15 PM
aha ha ha ha. HE DOESN'T KNOW!! i am the new king of the pesticide forum!!!!! from this point on, there will be a surcharge for any questions answered. good day

hole in one lco
11-15-2004, 08:15 PM
Powder or liquid their is a difference in the shelf life.

kickin sum grass
11-15-2004, 08:23 PM
Bobbygedd,
Not only the king of the pesticide forum but all of lawnsite. With your over 5700 post, who has enough leasure time to sit here everyday and post on every thread.

:) Just kidding with ya,

p.s. dont respond to this cuz I ain't paying your surcharge. You'll have to come to Cincinnati with a GREAT BIG shovel. :p

bobbygedd
11-15-2004, 08:27 PM
ric, from this day foward, you will address me as , "bobbyalmighty", or, "your majesty", whichever you prefer

Ric
11-15-2004, 08:34 PM
ric, from this day foward, you will address me as , "bobbyalmighty", or, "your majesty", whichever you prefer

BooBy Almost

Then, what factor are you talking about. If you are the King of Pesticide please be my guest. But first you must prove your worth.

bobbygedd
11-15-2004, 08:37 PM
you will address me by my earned name. do it, and followed by sir. then, and only then, will i educate the simple minded

SodKing
11-15-2004, 08:45 PM
Ric was right. Ph, and the products reaction to it, is the most determining factor.

but still.....all hail the king...

sodking that is...

bobbygedd
11-15-2004, 08:56 PM
ric did not say ph. but, ph is the right answer. pesticides have been known to lose thier effectiveness in as little as 8 seconds as the result of not being compatible with the ph of the water. very good sodking. u get an A. RIC, YOU GET TO SCRUB THE TOILETS, AGAIN

Ric
11-15-2004, 09:00 PM
ric did not say ph. but, ph is the right answer. pesticides have been known to lose thier effectiveness in as little as 8 seconds as the result of not being compatible with the ph of the water. very good sodking. u get an A. RIC, YOU GET TO SCRUB THE TOILETS, AGAIN

BooBy The stupid

What is the definition of pH? Oh BooBy you simple minded fool don't look it up I already posted it because I knew you were to simple minded to know it.

Now For the Bonus Question What is pHO ?

bobbygedd
11-15-2004, 09:02 PM
never mind. you will call me bobbyalmighty. this is my world, you, are only a guest here

Ric
11-15-2004, 10:25 PM
Hello fellow member

BooBy and I had a little AOL conversation. Here is a Copy and paste of it.

SWFlayard: How does the shoe leather taste fool?? Got your foot in your mouth that time.
Bobbygedd: nope
Bobbygedd: u did
SWFlayard: OHHH
SWFlayard: What is pH????
Bobbygedd: well, excuse me, i aint no scientist. how did i know those letters meant "ph"?
SWFlayard: The inverse propostion of the hydrogen ion
SWFlayard: p is the math term for inverse proposion
SWFlayard: H is the symbol for Hydrogen
SWFlayard: Small p big H
SWFlayard: 8th grade math
Bobbygedd: ha. u see, i never made it that far
SWFlayard: Well then don't knock those who did
SWFlayard: Now What is pHO
Bobbygedd: first of all, most of those guys did not know the answer. never in a million yrs. at least i knew it
SWFlayard: It has been posted over and over again
Bobbygedd: well, i never saw it. i learned that in state class
SWFlayard: Well don't mess with the bull cause you will get the horn fool
SWFlayard: OK if I copy and paste this AOL to LS?
Bobbygedd: why?
SWFlayard: why not
Bobbygedd: i don't care. i was still right
SWFlayard: No you were wrong because you have no real knowledge of chemistry and were trying to play God
Bobbygedd: chemistry? i'm no chemist. i told you, i learned that in pest class
SWFlayard: Right and You know I have a College degree in this stuff
SWFlayard: I teach pesticide classes in college
Bobbygedd: yea. and, that's why i originally said you would know the answer
SWFlayard: THen why not ask instead of jumping on me about my answer
Bobbygedd: cus i just love to annoy you. besides, i wasn't asking. i knew the answer
SWFlayard: Well that makes us a great pair because I love dumping on you
SWFlayard: BTW you only knew something that was half ass told to you. How Do You know the pH of your tank water??
Bobbygedd: how? not sure.
SWFlayard: Ohhhhhh that great
Bobbygedd: well, wtf u want from me?
SWFlayard: An apology on LS pesticide forum signed BooBy Almost
SWFlayard: Are man enough??
Bobbygedd: sorry, can't do. i never claimed to be a know it all. just, know more than most
SWFlayard: OK wessel then I will C&P this AOL to LS
Bobbygedd: i don't care
SWFlayard: Alright then here it goes

LwnmwrMan22
11-15-2004, 10:37 PM
Problem here...

Ric, I know you know your stuff.

Can't let Bobby get under your skin.

I'm to the point where I don't think Bob's even got a lawn business, or any business, just someone that sits around thinking up crap to post on this site, just to get chatter on the posts.

Get people's gander up.

Just a regular old rabble-rouser.

That's all.

Ryan Lightning
11-15-2004, 10:57 PM
I was told manage wont last 24hours. I had to spray a baseball feild and made the mistake of mixing 40 gals before I got to the job. They change there schedule on me. I didnt get back for 6-7 days and decide to spray it anyway. I got a good kill. I keept the tank in the shade, that may have helped.

toxic man
11-16-2004, 12:46 AM
Now that was better than paying for a movie! :dizzy:

bobbygedd
11-16-2004, 08:13 AM
aww ric, why did you do that? they are called "private messeges" for a reason. because THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE PRIVATE!!! ok ric, you got it right. now you get a cookie. there is such a thing as being "over educated", and ric, i think you are. you are spraying chemicals, for the same prices, as your competitors, who have no education at all. but if that knowledge is your security blanket, and it keeps you and your male blowup doll feeling secure, then god bless you. to me, it's like going to medical school, and becomming a janitor.

Ric
11-16-2004, 11:06 AM
aww ric, why did you do that? they are called "private messeges" for a reason. because THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE PRIVATE!!! ok ric, you got it right. now you get a cookie. there is such a thing as being "over educated", and ric, i think you are. you are spraying chemicals, for the same prices, as your competitors, who have no education at all. but if that knowledge is your security blanket, and it keeps you and your male blowup doll feeling secure, then god bless you. to me, it's like going to medical school, and becomming a janitor.

BooBy Almost

Read your own words. You said OK to the posting of our AOL.

Now it looks like you need a medical degree to be a janitor. Be cause you can't think enough to come up with a new come back. The Blow up doll is getting old.

bobbygedd
11-16-2004, 11:39 AM
BooBy Almost

Read your own words. You said OK to the posting of our AOL.

Now it looks like you need a medical degree to be a janitor. Be cause you can't think enough to come up with a new come back. The Blow up doll is getting old.
and so, are you. peace and love....my hatian brother :)

SodKing
11-16-2004, 12:18 PM
"Now For the Bonus Question What is pHO ?"

Ric, i think you meant pOH, correct?

Ric
11-16-2004, 12:59 PM
"Now For the Bonus Question What is pHO ?"

Ric, i think you meant pOH, correct?

Sodking

Oops. long day yesterday. Yes and if BooBy does a search here at LS he can find the answer.

BooBy Almighty king of pesticide forum. Why didn't you catch My mistake?? BTW I am Pacific Islander not Haitian FOOL.

bobbygedd
11-16-2004, 05:46 PM
I DID catch your mistake. i was waitin to see how long it took you to figure it out

SodKing
11-16-2004, 06:15 PM
I DID catch your mistake. i was waitin to see how long it took you to figure it out

Then perhaps you can answer what pH + pOH equals (at room temp)?

bobbygedd
11-16-2004, 06:20 PM
it don't matter. i'm still getting more $$ than you to apply. you are over educated. i know what i need to know, not what i don't need to know. the example being the topic of this thread. if i were mixing at the clients house, using thier water, and was having problems getting my desired results, i know enough to troubleshoot the problem, where the common lawn boy would just keep spraying, spraying, spraying. get it? i know what i need to know, not what i don't need to know. at some point, it becomes useless knowledge

SodKing
11-16-2004, 06:25 PM
You know my rates??? you are the all knowing. Truth be told bobby I don't believe I have ever had the situation where water influenced the desired result of my treatment, and I have been at it for 15 years. As for being overeducated, I don't think thats possible. Yes, I have a degree and look forwards to receiving more in the future. Education never hurts.

If you load from municiple water supplies, or even homeowner wells the pH should be fairly neutral. I have been called in to consult with a peer who loaded from a surface water source and didn't acheive the desire efficacy from his insecticide.

bobbygedd
11-16-2004, 06:36 PM
i don't know your rates, but can only guess you are poisoning yourself for $3-$5 per k. same as the other "educated pros" on lawnsite. and yes sodking, there is such a thing as being overeducated, overqualified.

SodKing
11-16-2004, 06:59 PM
Be mindful of what you assume bobby, you know what happens when you do that.

Ric
11-16-2004, 06:59 PM
You know my rates??? you are the all knowing. Truth be told bobby I don't believe I have ever had the situation where water influenced the desired result of my treatment, and I have been at it for 15 years. As for being overeducated, I don't think thats possible. Yes, I have a degree and look forwards to receiving more in the future. Education never hurts.

If you load from municiple water supplies, or even homeowner wells the pH should be fairly neutral. I have been called in to consult with a peer who loaded from a surface water source and didn't acheive the desire efficacy from his insecticide.

Sodking

Welcome to the BooBy Gelding fan club. Class is something BooBy doesn't need. He quit school in the 3rd grade. Of course BooBy doesn't need an education either. BTW He knows it all, or at least in him own word "more than the common Lawn Boy".

bobbygedd
11-16-2004, 07:02 PM
FACT- common sense, god given talent, charisma, street smarts, good looks , will take you further in this world than any education you can get. ANOTHER FACT- none of this will matter, when the maggots are eating our guts.

Ric
11-16-2004, 07:13 PM
FACT- common sense, god given talent, charisma, street smarts, good looks , will take you further in this world than any education you can get. ANOTHER FACT- none of this will matter, when the maggots are eating our guts.

BooBy

Yes, Truer words were never spoken. However I fail to see any of those qualities in you.

bobbygedd
11-16-2004, 07:15 PM
BooBy

Yes, Truer words were never spoken. However I fail to see any of those qualities in you.
that's because you are a retart

SodKing
11-16-2004, 07:15 PM
...another fact bobby is that I, with my degree, will receive a higher salary than someone without a degree. My first job out of college, back in the day, I was hired at roughly twice the wage of an employee that was with the company for over 4 years. The owner recognized my talents and realized that I, because of my education, be able to sell and up-sell more services because I was able to correctly identify plant problems and address them accordingly. Common sense and charisma won't help you ID the difference between pink and grey snow mold.

Ric
11-16-2004, 07:24 PM
Ding Ding Ding

Ok fight fans as we enter round 5 of the Battle Royal we see Sodking has a slight advance over Ric while the infamous BooBy Gelding Almost seems to have no chance of taking this match. The Big question is, Will the infamous BooBy Gelding Almost, retire after such a devastating defeat?? Or will he just pick an other useless subject to start an other foolish thread. Now while the fans wait, Only his promoter and brother Don King really knows the answer.

bobbygedd
11-16-2004, 07:25 PM
in fact it will. i have a ton of information at my fingertips with a simple click of the mouse. why arent you still employed by someone, if things were that great.

bobbygedd
11-16-2004, 07:32 PM
funny, being in the graphic arts field for over 20 yrs, i witnessed some of the biggest idiots in the world, comming out of college, and being demolished by older tradesmen that had "been around the block". and usually for less money. sodking, it all depends on what field we are talking about. i imagine, that if you took business management, and entered a supermarket looking for employment, certainly you're worth more than a $6 an hr stockboy. in my field, the college grads entered at $15 an hour, compared to my $27.

SodKing
11-16-2004, 07:36 PM
...I also have a degree in agri-business management. In this field, education makes a difference.

SodKing
11-16-2004, 07:39 PM
why arent you still employed by someone, if things were that great.

Things are better now. Working for someone was nice but I saw no path to ownership of that company. I never intended to work for another individual my entire career, I had always intended to start a company but the laws as they are in NH concerning pesticides required an internship.

bobbygedd
11-16-2004, 07:41 PM
really? how much per k are u charging for weed n feed? how much per cut? i bet u r not getting anymore than anyone else. regardless of what u know, what your level of education, your competitors will keep your prices in check. raise them, and you perish

SodKing
11-16-2004, 07:45 PM
No sh@t sherlock. The skill is in identifying the competitive rates and pricing accordingly. My rates are roughly 14% higher than the current market rates in my location for our targeted market. The clients know this and agree that I am worth it. I am known by my peers to be the most expensive in the area.

bobbygedd
11-16-2004, 07:51 PM
14% higher huh? i love the use of percentages. this one time, i bought an apple for 25 cents. sold it for 50 cents. i made 100% profit. did i make alot of money?

SodKing
11-16-2004, 08:11 PM
in a simple answer, yes.

Ric,

I don't think Bobby will give up even when he is shown who his daddy is....

Ric
11-16-2004, 08:11 PM
14% higher huh? i love the use of percentages. this one time, i bought an apple for 25 cents. sold it for 50 cents. i made 100% profit. did i make alot of money?

BooBy

Actually you doubled your net worth.

Ric
11-16-2004, 08:20 PM
Ding Ding Ding

Round 6 Battle Royal find Ric now in the lead with a devastating body slam to BooBy's net worth. Sod king now running a close second to Ric has been taken down a half notch by BooBy pulling him down to his level by discussing the current price BooBy pays for Crack. How long can this bout last fans. There seems to be no letting up by all parties involved. BTW BooBy is still so low in point count he could never win this bout.

hole in one lco
11-16-2004, 08:32 PM
The bottom line is its not what you know but who you know...............
I'm a prime example just ask and ill tell you why.

SodKing
11-16-2004, 08:41 PM
Yes sorry about that...I just gets me when someone who knows 1/50 (thats %.02 bobby) of what I do about lawn care tries to tell me education in this industry is unimportant.

I'll get back to it....so Bobby the difference between pink and grey snowmold is...?

Ric
11-16-2004, 09:09 PM
Alright Fight Fans

Tonight Battle Royal event has being brought to you courtesy of Lawn site. At stake was the "Almighty Sir" championship belt and said title. Tonights contestants are SodKing with a degree in Plant science, Ric with a degree in Turf Management and BooBy with a degree in Kindergarten. Now the ground rules have been original set as the Inverse proportion of the Hydrogen ion. However late rules of the games has modified that to the Inverse Proportion of the Hydroxide ion. BooBy opening move was to attempt to body slam Ric. However BooBy slipped on Ignorance and fell flat on his face. SodKing then managed to throw these facts in his face. BooBy has countered by discussing the price of Crack on the black market. Ric then threw a death blow by pointing out BooBy's net worth.

BTW those becoming frustrated and turning off their computer will retain their "Almost Cur" title and be eliminated from a chance of ever being called Almighty.

Alright fans It is time to vote. Who has earned the right to the "Almighty Sir" Belt. Please send your ballot to Jodi in care of Lawnsite Chinese Branch in East Hevus, Mongolia.

Ric
11-16-2004, 09:12 PM
The bottom line is its not what you know but who you know...............
I'm a prime example just ask and ill tell you why.

Hole in one

Who you know can and will open doors. However what you know will keep you there. Unless in is a government job.

Ric
11-16-2004, 09:29 PM
Yes sorry about that...I just gets me when someone who knows 1/50 (thats %.02 bobby) of what I do about lawn care tries to tell me education in this industry is unimportant.

I'll get back to it....so Bobby the difference between pink and grey snowmold is...?

SodKing

BooBy got frustrated and turned his computer off. Please note the Gray dot beside his name. Now because BooBy really never had a real formal education which teaches you the why and lets you find the how, He can not cope with a mentally challenging situation. Now he may know how to mix chemicals by label but not why you mix them that way. The problem is wider spread than we would like to admit in our industry. BooBy was told pH effects Chemical Efficacy, However he doesn't know which pH reading will effect it adversely and which with enhance it. In fact he doesn't even know how to find the pH of his water. We should take pity on BooBy if he wasn't such a big mouth.

bobbygedd
11-17-2004, 11:07 AM
sod king i will cross that bridge when i get to it. my lawns don't get snow mold. they are cared for properly. education, i'm not sure how important it is. there are idiots with college degrees, there are geniouses who quit high school. there are millionaires with no education, there are poor people with degrees. success lies within a mans own mind. i see my neighbors, with college degrees, they work in the city. they travel hrs a day to get to work. they leave at 5 am, they return at 7 pm. they have no time with thier families, no time to go fishing, no time to watch thier kids baseball game, or be a coach. they have good educations, other than that, they don't have anything that i don't have. if you don't have god given talent, you need an education. it's that simple. i don't care what your level of education is, the bottom line is, that you WILL work for the price, that was set, by your competitors, they range from little kids to retired old geezers (sorry ric), from high school drop outs to people who spent big money, and time to get an education. if you needed to go to school to learn how to make money, well, what can i say. i was born with this gift. good day

trying 2b organic
11-17-2004, 10:01 PM
Will someone with almighty teaching powers plz tell me how long 3-way will last in a tank? approx. give me real life experience, its generally much more usefull than what a textbook tells us.
To know the scientific reasoning behind it will make for good coffee talk so plz give that too. :waving:

Ric
11-17-2004, 11:01 PM
Will someone with almighty teaching powers plz tell me how long 3-way will last in a tank? approx. give me real life experience, its generally much more usefull than what a textbook tells us.
To know the scientific reasoning behind it will make for good coffee talk so plz give that too. :waving:

Trying 2b organismic

Three way comes in two major types. Ester and Amine. I do not use Ester Three Way because it is Too hot for C-4 turf.

Three Way Amine is one of the few chemicals that will retain some of it effectiveness for long periods of time. In Fact, Too Long. The 2-4-D will in fact always be present in the tank or equipment forever. No matter how many times you clean or how you clean 2-4-D will still be there. It can in fact Kill shrubs if you use that Equipment to spray them long after the 2-4-D has not been used in that Equipment.

Dicamba and Dimethylamine are both salts. Depending on the Hydrogen ion presents in the solution, Salts will precipitate out of the solution or crystallize. Temperature will also play apart in helping the reaction to take place.

How long will Three way last?? Well that depends on many factors. However in the right pH solution it should be good for quite a while. The 2-4-D will be good forever.

pH???? Do a search and look for my name about two years ago. I was into posting stupid stuff at that time and you will find a simple Explanation about pH and pOH. I now spend my time posting important thing like replies to BooBy.

bobbygedd
11-18-2004, 07:02 AM
in offset printing, while operating a 6 unit web perfector, how many colors is it possible to print on one side of the paper, without running the paper through twice?

Ric
11-18-2004, 08:01 AM
in offset printing, while operating a 6 unit web perfector, how many colors is it possible to print on one side of the paper, without running the paper through twice?

BooBy

If your offset press has 6 positive ink plates then you should be able to print infinite number colors to the blanket and offset them to the paper for each pass through the press. The true advantage to 6 head offset units is control of registry. One pass not only saves time but eliminates paper expansion caused by humidity problems of the paper sitting in between runs.

Now for the unwashed masses Primary colored inks can be mixed on a offset blanket to form seconary color. Therefore with even a 4 head unit you can achieve photo quality reproduction.

BooBy are there any other question???

bobbygedd
11-18-2004, 08:04 AM
how many colors at once? can i print 10 at one pass? 20? only 6? how many for each pass?

Ric
11-18-2004, 08:16 AM
how many colors at once? can i print 10 at one pass? 20? only 6? how many for each pass?

BooBy

I believe I answered that question By saying it is possible to achieve an infinite number of colors.

Now slow down, a 3 minute reply to my answer is fishing Way toooo hard. Remember Fishing is a sport. Troll just a little easier. The Ground rules to a good troll is the let the fish squirm with the bait. Occupy his thoughts for the day. maybe even lose some sleep over it.

BTW how is your insomnia???

bobbygedd
11-18-2004, 08:22 AM
my point exactly, you have no clue. what i know, you can't look up on the internet ric, so stop looking. the "tricks" i know, come from yrs of experience. infinite, is the wrong answer. where am i going with this? all this "education" talk, that's where. so, u know everything there is to know about killing bugs and weeds, splendid. when they ban pesticides, you'll be pushing shopping carts for a living. so, is education the same as knowledge? you see, i can make my living in "your" line of work, you can't make a living in mine. the fact of the matter is, anyone can run a pesticide business, it takes alot more to excell in my field. now go study more.

SodKing
11-18-2004, 12:12 PM
Bobby,

Last I checked there was no Bachelors of Science in offset printing. So the only wasy to gain knowledge of the offset printing industry is through on the job training.

Ric
11-18-2004, 12:22 PM
BooBy BooBy BooBy

Sorry if I have never worked for Kin Ko as a Copy machine Kin Ko Boy. The only thing I know about Printing is from my tour of a printing plant many years ago. I would hate to take a pay cut to do printing even tho It is done in Air Conditioning or at least humidity controlled environment. I rather enjoy being outside from time to time during the day. Now it is my understanding That a 6 head off set press can do 6 inks. Oops just remember each head can have two ink trays. Primary colors can be multi printed to create secondary colors. There by giving an infinitive number of colors on the finish product if a transparent ink is used. However I have also heard of using two different color inks in the same ink tray. However they only can print one side left or right on the page with that color while the other side is printed with the second color. BTW Once again I am not a former Kin Ko employee like yourself. However unlike you, All of my former jobs list me as eligible for re-hire.

I must not be giving too much mis information about Printing or you would be all over me with more than a question about how many inks. Once again I am Not a Kin Ko Copy Boy, However I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

Now I believe the Title on the Top of the Page is "Pesticide & Fertilizer Application" Forum. Maybe you should Take your Trolls to a KinKo wage slave Forum.

bobbygedd
11-18-2004, 12:33 PM
ha ha ha. nothing that you have mentioned is even close to being accurate. but, nice try bug boy. holiday inn huh? now we both know people from florida don't stay at the holiday in, i mean, a room there is twice the size of your trailer. funny in fact, when i was in florida, the "natives" refered to me as "a rich guy" because i stayed at "the omni" hotel, and i hired a bass guide to take me fishin, and i took a taxi to the dog track and tipped the stupid driver $10. if i remember correectly, with the seminars i attended, the cost of 2 nights/3 days at the omni was $875. that's about what your trailer cost, isn't it?

Ric
11-18-2004, 12:57 PM
KIN KO BOY

I wish I had a trailer to live in. I have a card board box under the bridge. Forturnately, The pay phone is close by. Now I am sure Everyone treats you like a king here in Florida. After all our economy is build on suckers like you. Now next time you come to Florida be sure to look me up. I know how much you like to fish and I can arrange for you to sleep with the fish.

Ric
11-18-2004, 01:22 PM
Attention Battle Royal Fans

As we near the end of round 7 BooBy had pulled all the stops out and Attempted The "Kin Ko Boy Back Breaker Move" on His Opponent Ric. However Ric appears to have landed on his feet. Ric has pointed out to the judges That BooBy has pulled a New Jerky un-kosher tactic, and it looks like the Judges have awarded this round to Ric once again.

With BooBy already down 7 round. What will be his next Move??? His Brother and promoter the famous Don King seems to have a very worried look on his face. Can BooBy in fact get any point from the Judges at this point. Or will BooBy Turn off his computer and ask for yet another continuance from the court in order to regroup.

Attention Attention

Late breaking news, Don King has advised BooBy to fold his hand and get a real job at the local East Orange New Jerky White Castle. Kin Ko has deemed BooBy as non-eligible for re-hire.

bobbygedd
11-18-2004, 02:05 PM
Bobby,

Last I checked there was no Bachelors of Science in offset printing. So the only wasy to gain knowledge of the offset printing industry is through on the job training.
king, last time i checked, any idiot can get an applicators license.

bobbygedd
11-18-2004, 02:08 PM
what a dope. what A DOPE!!!! fact-ric needed to go to college, to learn to apply scotts 4 step program. whatever floats your boat bug boy, nobody had to teach me anything.

SodKing
11-18-2004, 04:40 PM
king, last time i checked, any idiot can get an applicators license.

Bobby, easy on yourself...

bobbygedd
11-18-2004, 04:59 PM
you know what i mean

Ric
11-18-2004, 07:29 PM
nobody had to teach me anything.

Ah KinKo Boy

Your right, You have learned nothing.

bobbygedd
11-18-2004, 08:03 PM
selective reading there ric. i said nobody had to teach me. yup, believe it or not, this , what i have, is god given talent. :angel:

Dman1214
11-18-2004, 08:06 PM
Blah, Blah, Blah - what a waste of time

YardPro
11-20-2004, 06:51 PM
LOL this thread is great!!!

Bobby here's what an education wil do you you . It will make uneducated guys that get into arguments with you look like idiots.
It will make them sound like some 13 year old with quick unthought uncoherent comebacks.

Also as far as the esucation means more money??
Here's the deal with that.
I have a good education, 4 years of college and some grad school. What does that do for me in this business??
Even if i get the same rates as you??
It allows me to land much more upscale and easy to worh with clients. If you and I both meet with a perspective client, and we have the same price, I will guarantee I, or rick or sod King will land the job.
If a high dollar bid comes up who will an architect award the job, to the one with the cridentals, and the intelligence to perform the work, or some dumb redneck with coors on his breath.
You obviously have client problems. I don't, and i will bed that sod king and rick don't have nearly the proportion that you do. Why?
becuase first we are smart enough that we can forsee and head off these problems. We have learned through our educations how to deal with our problems without just blurting out " pay me or i'll sue you".
My education has alowed me to communicate with very wealthy clients on thier level. It gives them confidence in me and my ability to perform what they need. It also makes them trust me when there IS ever a problem.

Ric
11-20-2004, 07:23 PM
selective reading there ric. i said nobody had to teach me. yup, believe it or not, this , what i have, is god given talent. :angel:

BooBy

"High Times" and "Fritz the Cat" are not considered Industry related reading material. However I been told "High Times" gives many Grass Growing tips.

toxic man
11-21-2004, 09:08 PM
I didn't know they taught you how to speak and carry yourself in college? I didn't know they also teach you how to speak to others, intellegently? Wow, Do they really teach you to not drink alcohol when conducting business? I guess some of those people who are going to college and not learning these lessons, should get their money back! Cause I've seen alot of people who went to college who are complete........... What a joke.

My parents really screwed up! They could have skated on those lessons and just sent me to college, I could have learned all of that and so much more!

But, I guess if my parents did opt to send me to college and not teach me all of those things at home, I would have missed that huge lesson about humility.

Lou

Weed Solutions

Ric
11-21-2004, 09:26 PM
I didn't know they taught you how to speak and carry yourself in college? I didn't know they also teach you how to speak to others, intellegently? Wow, Do they really teach you to not drink alcohol when conducting business? I guess some of those people who are going to college and not learning these lessons, should get their money back! Cause I've seen alot of people who went to college who are complete........... What a joke.

My parents really screwed up! They could have skated on those lessons and just sent me to college, I could have learned all of that and so much more!

But, I guess if my parents did opt to send me to college and not teach me all of those things at home, I would have missed that huge lesson about humility.

Lou

Weed Solutions

Toxic Man

College is a little more than just attending classes as you have pointed out. However The big different between Traditional College Education and Vocational education is learning how to think and find answers. Vocational Education teaches "What" to do but not nessasary "why" you do it. College Education teaches you "why" and let you figure out "How". Now College also offers the sharper individual the social graces that appear to be lacking in this post. The drinking part is more a factor of youth and the first taste of freedom.

YardPro
11-21-2004, 10:46 PM

Lou

Weed Solutions

you watched animal house too much.
and yes there are alot of idiots in school.
BUT most wealthy people went to college. While at college you learn a little bit about a lot of stuff. this helps you when talking to clients about current events, political or social issues. It is also amusing to talk about the "college days". It gives you some common ground.
also it DOES give more credibility, no if's ands or buts about it. If my decisions/knowledge is questioned, the fact that i have a a degree in a related field will surely help.

what it directly did was teach me in extremely fine detail the physiology, biology, and anatomy of plants. I understand how they work down to a their cells metabolism. The physics has given me the knowledge of hydrodynamics (used in irrigation design/install), and it also gave me the tools to figure resistance, capacitance, and the relationship between volts/ohms/watts. this i use in pump troubleshooting and repair.
The organic chemistries i took helps me understand the chemicals i use on a weekly basis. I know how they work and interact with each other.

this knowledge comes out when speaking with a client, is they have a question, i can answer it on the spot without hesitation, and with confidence.

example:
customer asks why a certain sized pipe has to be used on the sprinkler..

i explain that it's Bernoulli's's principal that the vaster a liquid or a gas moves across a surface the less pressure it exerts ( how planes fly). so we have to keep the water velocity below 5F/S to maintain adequate pressure...........

gives them confidence that i know what i'm doing

Don't get offended, i am in no way belittling anyone who chose not to or could not go to college.

the reason i said what i said was someone was implying that there was no income benefit. (and that someone admittedly drinks alot)

sounds like you have pretty good communication skills. I didn't mean to offend.
keep in mind that in our business there are alot of "bubba's".
i use every tool i can to separate myself from them.

bobbygedd
11-22-2004, 07:53 AM
yardqueer, is that what they teach you in college? to insult the "less fortunate?" i said it before, i'll say it again, we both do the same things for a living, but as i can clearly see it now, i'm getting paid more to do it. you will never have problems with your customers, as long as you're willing to give your work away. the resistance comes when you stand your ground. as far as communication skills, and having the ability to get a client to feel comfortable working with you, i got you all beat on that, garentee it. it goes much further than education. first of all, a 6/3-260 lb obese man can be viewed one of two ways. #1- as an eyesore. #2- as intimidating. either way, bad for business. that's thier first impression, and it usually sets the stage for the rest of the meeting. i am quite capable of presenting my self in a warm, comforting, educated manner when dealing with a client. you are pulling rabbits out of your butt here to try to insult me.

Ric
11-22-2004, 07:25 PM
Bobby

Yes Bobby (not BooBy) you are right. We really don't need to insult Your intelligences.

You do a fine job all by yourself.

karen1122
11-29-2004, 02:36 PM
Sodking,

Somewhere back in this twisted mass of Bobby's self mutilation you mentioned that you have a precise grip on the market pricing in your area. As this is the most difficult factor in successfully setting prices, what methods did you use to pinpoint your conclusions? Networking, sampling of competitive biding and customer input are all extremely energy intensive activities. Have you found a more efficient source of data?

SodKing
11-29-2004, 07:12 PM
Competitors own bids. When visiting clients, after getting my bid, they will often show me their other bids and ask, "why are my prices so high? Look what XYZ co bid." Also, almost all of my competitors have called my house telemarketing and I never turn down their free estimate. The one competitor who does not call my house is a good friend of mine so we know eachothers prices anyway.

Ric
11-29-2004, 07:33 PM
Karen

Beside customers telling you prices, seminars are a good way of finding out competitor prices. Sometimes I learn more from the guy sitting next to me than the instructor. Normally they are from a different area and very willing to tell all. I call this the Reverse BooBy Complex. Kind of a "Aren't I great" thing, instead of a "Look at how stupid I am".

Now you are never going to make trying to match the big boys prices particularly TrueGreen. They sell on price and buy in Volume pricing. However they also have a large turn over of help which is your selling point. Remember Mr Customer if there price is that cheap there has to be reason they can afford to give you a cheap price. Can it be they are not applying good chemical, or is it because they use untrained help.

SodKing
11-29-2004, 08:25 PM
I recall one client, one of those 5 million dollar properties on the NH seacoast, I was treating for $185. I treated them for a season and then over the winter TG-CL came in and sold them a program for $85. Low and behold by July the owner was calling me begging for me to take over the lawn as it had deteriorated considerably. I said sure but its $185 per app, he wanted me to match TG-CLs' price, I said no way. Sure enough like clockwork in August he called back and said $185 is good when can you start again.

karen1122
11-30-2004, 07:56 AM
SodKing and Ric,

Thanks for the replies and yes, I do agree with your segmentation of low cost and quality providers. Both of you have mentioned the ear-to-the-ground methods of market price determination. Are you aware of any published data that may make this process easier? Do any of the professional societies or work groups you belong to collect market pricing data?

SodKing
11-30-2004, 12:32 PM
I have never been polled on my pricing by an association.