PDA

View Full Version : Spindles

easycareacres
11-14-2004, 05:34 AM
Has anyone had probs getting bearings out of spindle like I have ?

Richard Martin
11-14-2004, 05:46 AM
What kind of mower do you have? What problems are you having? Some spindles have clips holding the bearings in. Some bearings are pressed in. More details dude.

easycareacres
11-14-2004, 05:56 AM
Hi Richard, well run scag turf tigers, have couple spare spindels to replace bearings. My prob is I cant stop the shaft from turning while socket on other end nut. Vice is so tight but still turns not allowing nut free.

Richard Martin
11-14-2004, 06:25 AM
Hmm.. Have you tried heating up the nut first? Have you sprayed the nut with PB Blaster or WD40 and let it sit for a few days? How about an impact gun?

easycareacres
11-14-2004, 06:48 AM
Have soaked in wd40, ok will try impact gun tommorrow, just dont want to damage shaft. Thanks Richard ill let you know tommorrow how went. Thanks.

YardPro
11-14-2004, 09:06 AM
impact will not dammage the shaft.
put the blade bolt in and ise it to hold the shaft still

muddstopper
11-14-2004, 09:16 AM
Be careful if you decide to go the "heating" route. Most people seem to think that they have to turn the nut red all the way around when heating. This only makes the nut seize tighter. Applying heat to one side of the nut only will cause the nut to expand to where it can be loosen. Once the nut has loosened to where it is no longer stuck, it is best to apply WD40, PB Nut blaster or similar and let cool off before removing. As the nut cools it will draw the oil down the shaft and around the threads. This prevents galling of the threads, sometimes on the shaft or nut or both.

sawman65
11-14-2004, 07:34 PM
an impact gun will do the trick air or sears has an electric gun for around 100.00 dollars

easycareacres
11-15-2004, 05:48 AM
No go, tried gas heating up and impact gun at 120 psi and has turned only 5 threads in 1 hr.
Shop had many probs way back and see why.
Starting to scare shaft in vice.

Richard Martin
11-15-2004, 06:13 AM
See if you can get it to move back down the threads at all. Sometimes you have to loosen it a little and then tighten it a little and work the nut off that way. You can also use a nutsplitter or a sharp chisel to cut the nut. Either way when/if you do get it off you should replace the nut and rethread the shaft. If you're going to replace the shaft get the nut up a little bit and then cut the shaft. It sounds like the nut was crushed by using too much force to install it or it was crossthreaded.

easycareacres
11-15-2004, 06:28 AM
ok will try tommorrow night taking thread back bit. Never had a tough nut like this lol. Using 120 psi and wont budge. Thanks Richard

all ferris
11-15-2004, 09:39 AM
PB blaster is like a torch in a can. I swear by it. However, if I had all the trouble you're having I'd have the fire axe out and that nut would be history. I don't have lots of patience.

easycareacres
11-16-2004, 03:45 AM
thank you for youre help ive given up after this evening. Shaft is getting scored in vice.
Gas and air no go, tried everything and at $300 a pop for scag spindle in aust dont want to wreck the other one that needs doing also.
Was worth the try and thank all that has tried helping. cheers.

dexpress
11-17-2004, 03:57 AM
I`ve cut them off using oxy with mixed success. Heating the nut and letting it cool has worked. I find using a 3-4 inch drive with a 6 foot bar the best way to remove the nuts. I put the keyway back in the top of the shaft to stop it turning in the vice or use a pipe vice. Any marks that I have made in the top of the shaft are easily removed with a file.