PDA

View Full Version : would you teach him?

bobbygedd
11-14-2004, 09:30 AM
i was at a party last night. there was a guy who is just starting out in this business. he was telling me he just landed his first 2 jobs. one was a leaf cleanup. he says he blew all the leaves into piles, then raked them onto a tarp, and loaded them into his f-150(no sides). he is less than halfway done with the job, and has made 11 trips to the dumpsite (a free one, but still very time consuming). he worked 2 half days on the job so far (8-9 hrs), and has at least another 10 hrs to go. all for $175. i remember when i used to do leaves this way. he thinks he's doing ok. i wanted to tell him how to do this job properly, but, it was against my better judgment.instead, i gave him a stack of my business cards. from his decription of the job, me and my bobcat could have had it ground up to like 3 barrels, cleaned up, and hauled in like 4 hrs. would you have told him?

mcclureandson
11-14-2004, 09:42 AM
No way...not in a million years

rodfather
11-14-2004, 09:48 AM
Being older and wiser (hopefully), I probably would have given him some time-saving hints.

bobbygedd
11-14-2004, 09:48 AM
older, no doubt

rodfather
11-14-2004, 09:51 AM
And I would have "educated" him on pricing jobs like that one as well.

desert rose gardening
11-14-2004, 09:55 AM
I would want someone to give me advice to get a job done better and faster, so I would have told him better way to have done it. Theres plenty work to go around and its not like we have a big secret on how to do it.

bobbygedd
11-14-2004, 09:56 AM
consultation fee=$50 an hour with beer, $65 an hour without

tonygreek
11-14-2004, 10:07 AM
bobby, aren't you the one who is always yelling about not giving anything away for free or working too cheaply???? c'mon, i had more respect for you. only $15 bucks an hour to cover your beer intake? scrub...

YardPro
11-14-2004, 10:12 AM
problem is his equipment for the job.
it took him so long becuase of his technique and equipment.
the question is, would someone with the proper equipment have done the job for $175.00
it's like charging more to cut a yard with a 21' just becuase that's all you have to do the job.

but yes i would tell him. this person now thinks that is a fair price and will give someone crap next time around when they quote a fair price

bobbygedd
11-14-2004, 10:37 AM
that;s the thing yardpro, he thinks he is charging the right price. when he comes to his senses, and realizes that he can't even pay his phonebill working like that, chances are he packs it in. that's one less thorn in my side

rodfather
11-14-2004, 10:49 AM
This topic brings me to the question as to who you should be educating out there...the customer or the competition? Both I assume.

shepoutside
11-14-2004, 11:06 AM
Why did you give him a stack of your cards? I would have given him some advise, maybe sold him some of my used stuff too !

Bull
11-14-2004, 11:44 AM
Bobby you have brought up what I find to be an interesting contradiction. Let's assume the guy is what we refer to as legitimate (totally). Well do we help him to improve the basis in how we all would like to see the industry quote jobs or do we watch him sink over time. It's almost as though we want both at the same time.

bobbygedd
11-14-2004, 11:50 AM
no, we allow him to sink, quickly.

impactlandscaping
11-14-2004, 12:28 PM
no, we allow him to sink, quickly.
And go back to Mickey Dees or Wally World......

Or at that prie, sub him out to your clients..lol

Lux Lawn
11-14-2004, 12:29 PM
I might have helped him a little depending on his attitude toward the situation some people think there way is the only way to do things.

Freshcut Lawn Care
11-14-2004, 12:46 PM
I would have enducated him (a lot) about pricing and (a little) about technique!

I would want him to get his prices up (where we have ours) so we don't lose work to him due to pricing! :p

As far as a little technique...I would give him some pointers! I met a buddy of mine this way and we ended up sharing a lot of info!

We never encroached on each others customers (a personal agreement we have to this day)!

As a matter of fact, he has also thrown work my way when he couldn't take it on!

Never know Bob! You might need a friend some day! :)

YardPro
11-14-2004, 01:06 PM
that;s the thing yardpro, he thinks he is charging the right price. when he comes to his senses, and realizes that he can't even pay his phonebill working like that, chances are he packs it in. that's one less thorn in my side

i agree. but that may have been a faair price for the property.
if it was something someone who knew what they were doing, and had the proper equipment it may have only taken them 2-3 hours. then the $$ would have been fair. the work method is the problem.

it's like taking 8 hours to mow an acre with a 21" mower and bitching that you only made $100.00 all day

but as bobby said, he won't be around long doing things like that

Runner
11-14-2004, 01:43 PM
In my case. I would help him. I would let him know how to get the job done the easiest and fastest way. I help people like that around here out all the time. If they would like advice, I give it...I have nothing to hide. Afterall, many prple on here wouldn't be in as good of shape as the are now if it weren't for this site. Myself, I spent 20 years learning the stuff myself - including grinding leaves onsite brfoe loading and hauling.

geogunn
11-14-2004, 01:57 PM
BOBBY WEASEL--I suggest the proper thing to to do is to inform the lad about an internet learning tool.

a place where thare is as much information as most people need.

and of course that place is LAWNSITE.COM.

the site gets another member and we all benefit from that.

GEO

brentsawyer
11-14-2004, 04:24 PM
Whats more wrong is the dumb a## HomeOwner who hired him and has to deal with the pile of neverending leaves that never seem to leave. I really don't blame the dude as much b/c thats all he has. Yesterday, I left to go out for a while and a lady 3 doors down had 4 guys raking and mowing her 7,000' lawn for several hours. WHY? it is a complete mess to have that many people doing a simple task. Guess I was more disgusted since I have a perfectly good 30yd leaf box sitting here and doing the best job around and she hires some old guys for beer money on their day off.