PDA

View Full Version : Toro proline (2 cycle) conversion ?

nt1
11-14-2004, 11:12 AM
I was wondering what would be involved in converting a commercial proline push mower (no transmission) to self propelled( 3 spd) and what would it cost (approximately). I have found a couple of these units 3 years old, but brand new. Any reasons why it could not / should not be done, too costly( parts on these mowers are expensive) or, some other reasons?

Mark McC
11-14-2004, 12:00 PM
I've never tried something like that, but it strikes me that by the time you manage such a feat, you could easily have made enough to buy a new Proline with just a part-time job flipping burgers.

nt1
11-15-2004, 12:06 AM
Ok Mark McC all sarcasm aside(no insult there right). There is no "such a feat" to it, I believe it would involve something like a transmission, cables, belts and such, but at what cost. Now I do not have the most mechanical background but not much needed to run these simple 2 cycle almost indestructable mowers. My experience with these mowers has been good. The maintence schedules on these mowers for the last ten years or so have gone about like this :
add fuel, clean sponge filters weekly, spark plug yearly, grease wheels/transmission, replace tires/wheels/hub bearings about every 3-4 years, and a new starter rope once in a while, anything more than this my dealer handles(rarely). I have located 2 NEW 2cylce prolines(engine years 2002) that are not equiped with a drive transmission for $800 each. When they were still making these 2 cylce prolines they were selling for about a $1000. So anyone familiar with these mowers have any input as to what it would take mechanically and $wise to convert these pushers to pullers?

dishboy
11-15-2004, 12:12 AM
Ok Mark McC all sarcasm aside(no insult there right). There is no "such a feat" to it, I believe it would involve something like a transmission, cables, belts and such, but at what cost. Now I do not have the most mechanical background but not much needed to run these simple 2 cycle almost indestructable mowers. My experience with these mowers has been good. The maintence schedules on these mowers for the last ten years or so have gone about like this :
add fuel, clean sponge filters weekly, spark plug yearly, grease wheels/transmission, replace tires/wheels/hub bearings about every 3-4 years, and a new starter rope once in a while, anything more than this my dealer handles(rarely). I have located 2 NEW 2cylce prolines(engine years 2002) that are not equiped with a drive transmission for $800 each. When they were still making these 2 cylce prolines they were selling for about a $1000. So anyone familiar with these mowers have any input as to what it would take mechanically and $wise to convert these pushers to pullers?

Smiths Lawnmower sales in Caldwell Idaho had two non BBC self propelled models on the floor and possibly a few more since the dist. told me he had sold them over 30 of them. $999 ea. so for two hundred more + shipping. your set.

nt1
11-15-2004, 07:50 PM
Thanks Dishboy I called them today!